Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cavenagh posted:

Glorified Rice

I've no idea what Glorified Rice is. It could be a mangling of a term (such as how Refried Beans were once Refined Beans),

Bwuh?

Frijoles refrito does not mean Refined Beans.

That does look really loving good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elizabethan Error posted:

um you can't set 40% alcohol on fire, much less when it's been diluted by that cherry liquor. minimum % that will ignite is ~100 proof(50%)

Flashpoint of a 40% ethanol solution is 26 degrees C. You can definitely set 40% alcohol on fire.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

'fire' requires a steady flame, which isn't achieved until 50% alcohol. this is literally where the term 'proof' comes from

Again, you are ignoring the effect of temperature. Flashpoint is the temperature at which the vapors will ignite. For a 40:60 mixture of ethanol and water, the flashpoint is 26C. For 50:50, it is 24C. You can look this up in chemistry handbooks, it’s not controversial.

The term “proof” had to do with mixing the spirit with *gunpowder* and having it burn. If you don’t think it’s possible to ignite 80-proof whiskey, try getting a pan nice and hot over a gas stove and dumping in a shot of Beam.

• Locked thread