Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Ooooh, how about a St. Louis classic, a Slinger?

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Jamaican patty with coco bread made, post going up tomorrow.

Need more people to join in! We've got dozens of great potential abominationssuggestions worthy of being birthed into the realm of men made.

I might, but the cupboard is bare and I will be able to go shopping tomorrow. Although, I do live in a cultural wasteland as far as shopping goes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also, I would be terrified (but in a good curious way) to see what food my nick would suggest to people.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Depending on where you live (Florida and NYC seem to be the best choices because of the huge Caribbean diaspora), you can also find frozen Jamaican patties at the grocery store or Costco.

I used to be able to get frozen ones in town. Despite the plethora of strange looks for coworkers, they made a lovely lunch. Then, as always, once I started loving on them, the store stopped carrying them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I still want to know what kind of culinary terror my nick would inspire. Oh, no one has to MAKE it, just make it up.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

legendof posted:

E: and come to think of it, I'd also like to nominate "spaghetti alla Puttanesca", or "spaghetti in the style of whores".

Loving that in combination with your avatar.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I still plan on making Doom Rooster but won't be opposed to someone else taking a crack at it. I've just been busy with the Thomas fire and family stuff.

Excuses, excuses.

(I keed, I keed!)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
It is goddamn Welsh Rarebit anyway!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Going to put in a claim on Tiger Bite/Son of a Bitch Sauce. I have no idea what it is, but have some ideas for a hot sauce to make.

Going to be a while, though, as I want to do a fermented sauce.

We can't wait, even though we will have to.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm picking up the last of the stuff for it tomorrow, already got a bunch of nice bright orange peppers ready to go...

[ears perk up like those of the dog on the dog food can]

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Looking good, Billy Ray!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

It has begun!

Peppers, garlic, ginger, and a little star anise for the ferment. Updates in a couple weeks once this is ready to have the rest of the spices added and be smoothed out. :v:

Would!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

poop dood posted:

Either you guys don't understand that a major part of making drinks is chilling them or you're content drinking room-temp cocktails without ice, and I cannot decide which is weirder.

Really don't think a Prarie Fire is supposed to be a chilled drink, seeing as it is whiskey, and often served flaming.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Why not just use the fat dough to make a pancake or something?

That you slather in the fat gravy! Don't care if you already ate. LIPITOR NOW!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
So, we are apparently worried Doom Rooster ended up in an OP au vin?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Chill, it's been two weeks. People have lives outside of the Internet.

In Sonofabitch Sauce news, the sour smell of fermentation has faded out, and left it with peppers and -heat-. Two more weeks or so left to ferment, and I can tell already this is going to kick my rear end.

I want this in my belly, I think.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cigaw posted:

That looks great! Would eat your green broth that is not green broth.

Green Broth, aka Caldo Verde is a very tasty and hearty Portuguese potato, linguica and kale/collard green soup; the latter of which is responsible for the green aspect. All told, it is not a particularly green soup, but let's face it, I'm willing to bet Nun Farts contains no actual farts from nuns, so there.

Would on both.

Heya, Doom. Congrats on the impending nuptials! Waiting for the next gang tag! Go, have fun, and enjoy what can be the happiest week of your life!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

As an update on the sonofabitch sauce, it's still fermenting.

Smells real good in my kitchen just now.

Frag. I WASN'T hungry before...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Whose to say that the French didn't name peanuts after spiders? After all, the British added an i to "aluminum" on a lark. And we insist on calling rock and roll with a southern accent "country music"

I don't. I call it rockabilly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Going to be bottling the Sonofabitch sauce today. Pray for me goons, as this poo poo is inevitably going to napalm my kitchen when I blend it.

Good GodDAMN, wish I was there to lick the blender... Be safe, sonofabitch ghost!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I just got out of the shower. I've been crying.

It was worth it.

So, after four weeks of lactofermentation, our patient looks like this:

The peppers kept their color brilliantly, and were still a little bit firm to the touch. The pictures stop here, because I had to glove up to protect myself and my innocent neighbors from the coming apocalypse.

Next off, I drained off the liquid and set it aside, then poured out the solids into a bowl. The star anise was located and pitched, as well as a couple of the garlic cloves because the scent was overpowering. The rest went into the blender.

However, as you recall this was started out as Angry Tiger Sauce. Tiger's aren't just orange. We needed a little bit of black to go with it. Subtlety goes out the window with me some times, so I decided to go threefold. First, we have the star anise. That's black, right? Then the next step, powdered black pasilla chilies. Finally, some black sesame seed, because that sounds like a flavor that would go well in here. Add a bit of salt as well, and some powdered tamarind to introduce some sour opposite the sweetness of the peppers.

Pulse this a couple times, then add back in the brine until it's at a consistency that seems good.

I tasted it at this point, and promptly lost feeling in my mouth. It was pretty tasty for that first couple seconds, though! Very sweet and peppery. Might benefit from some vinegar, but I'm leaving it straight for now.

Next up, the problem of storage. If I leave this open, my whole fridge is going to murder me any time I touch it. I'm not having any of that, so we need an answer. 5oz shaker bottles to the rescue!

All in all, 1lb of peppers and 2/3 quart of brine made 15oz of finished sauce. I'll have to find a friend to offload one of these on, as it's too hot for me to drink straight.

Then of course, like a dumbass, I hit the blender with hot water and the steam cloud maced me.

Innagaddadavita! I wish I lived closer. I would adopt the spare and give it a good and loving home.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I just looked it up and threw up in my mouth a little.

I like your ignorant version so much better.

Aye, more for me then!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

You need to do all of your entries in this format now.

ExecuDork posted:

You have raised the bar, sir. This is great!

If it is so great (and it is), why has no one else even tossed him a single thumbs up (I did)?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ulmont posted:

I was trying to do the "pour over sugar cube, light cube, extinguish with small drips of water" effect from absinthe, except with a liquor that tastes good.

Ala mode Bohemian... I was more a Parisenne type myself.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Served in a potato avocado.

FTFY. Gotta get those millennial drinkers on board.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I had a post started about how my username would be pretty impossible to make a drink out of, and then my weed-addled brain actually came up with an idea. Goddammit, goons.

I have seriously been trying to do my assigned "hand cheese with music" for months now. I have the idea, have taken pics of the process, but my execution keeps failing at one critical juncture. I just tried making the "hand" part for the 6th time and it broke again. I'm so frustrated. :( Should I just post what I've done, and move on to the world's most horridelicous cocktail?

I really don't think this is a thread for brilliant successes.

Oh, crap. Just thought of a terrifying drink for my name. Vodka and alphabet/vegetable soup.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I dunno, the Minnesota sushi made looked far better than the actual thing, and while Tiggum's burning love was way off mark, looked like it would be a fine dessert to enjoy after gorging on the real thing! (Seriously, I love this thread.) Okay, lemme gather the pics up and I'll make an effort post showing y'all what I had planned.

As someone whose top 5 comfort-foods-when-sick include Campbell's alphabet soup, a Caesar-style thing made with that, vodka, and some hot sauce sounds right up my alley the next time I have a head cold. Like a savory hot toddy that would soothe the pain and clear your sinuses.

Sounds good. Also, my main illness soup go to is hot-and-sour, so... My main issue was sort of Orbitz flashback. All those little letters floating in clear fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

To bougie. The potato is good and Russian.

Meet you halfway with a beet.

• Locked thread