Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Solomon Gundy, Nuns Farts, Spotted Dog, Tablet, Buddha Jumps Over The Wall, Heaven and Earth, Half Chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
There's a Russian dish that translates as 'Herring Under a Fur Coat'.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Nettle Soup posted:

Should I be chiming in, having a food-based-username?

I'm adding Welsh Rarebit to the list.

To which I'll add English and Italian Rarebit.

Also adding The smile of a calf prepared after the recipe of a she-banker.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Minnesota Sushi makes me think it's spam on rice pudding.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Beverage Suggestion: Cow Spunk.

And I'm going to take on Glorified Rice.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Glorified Rice

I've no idea what Glorified Rice is. It could be a mangling of a term (such as how Refried Beans were once Refined Beans), a total lie, or a poetical name. I went with the idea of taking rice and trying to make it special without losing the riceness of the rice. I had a small party coming up, eight adults, two under fours, two under twos and a four month old, where I had to cook food that all ages would be happy eating. So I chose to Glorify a Rice Pudding.

(no pictures of each step as I had to cook, childwatch and drink)

Started by infusing a mix of coconut milk and half & half with vanilla beans and a couple of cloves.

Toasted some short grain rice. Fished out the vanilla pods and clove er, whatever the part of the plants they are, and add the toasted rice to the liquid.

Leave it to cook on low, stirring and topping up the liquid with milk when necessary.

Meanwhile, garnishes. To Glorify Rice I thought needed a two pronged approach. Firstly to make the best of the rice and cook it with a lot of flavour. The spices I chose along with toasting the rice and using coconut milk meant that the rice was going (if done properly) with a winter warming tone. So I wanted garnish that would counter that., perk it all up.

Firstly some crunch. A touch of textural contrast with some flavour. A little bit of kitchen science helped me make a Golden Syrup Honeycomb, that I broke up using a toddler and a rolling pin.

(It proved very popular amongst the adults)

Cheating on the next garnish as I had it hanging around from a previous dessert. Cardamom Parfait. Cold creamy contrast.

(Outside the USA a parfait is a smooth frozen mousse. )

Fruits. Unpictured is some diced mango that I soaked in lime juice, acid and the King of Fruit enriching the rice pudding. And some Starfruit. Because who doesn't want to eat a star? Isn't that a glorious idea. I wanted to give them a spray of rum but apparently this could have lead to drunk children, and then who would drive?

To serve. Season the Rice Pudding to taste using brown sugar. Top with garnishes of Honeycomb, Star Fruit, Mango, Cardamom Parfait Spheres (I've got a melon baller and I'm going to use it.) and Gold.

Gold Glorious Gold

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Dylan16807 posted:

Do you have metal fillings or something that the foil was reacting with? In that case I'm not sure, but the thing about gold leaf is that it's about 200 times thinner than aluminum foil and barely exists before folding away into nothing.

The gold leaf was intangible. No flavour, no texture. Just dissolves away to nothing. Aside from ostentation / looks, it has nothing to add to a dish. Little bit of fun though.

Thanks for the enthusiasm. It was well received, convincing a couple of people that they might actually like rice pudding. And having now looked up Glorifed Rice, oh, Minnesota.

(I did get caught by the old Refried = Refined. Whoops)

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Think I need both them sons of bitches in my kitchen.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Historical thread reminded me of this:

Ryse of Flessh.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Tiggum posted:

I don't know much about Denmark or Danish cuisine, but it was Valentine's Day recently and that made me think; what do people associate with Valentine's Day? Chocolate. The colour red. Drinking to escape the loneliness. Sure, all those things. So I think I've got a handle on what "burning love" might be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z17Vp78CgPA

The blue shirt of loneliness really makes it. Cracking.

(If you were in the USA I'd encourage you to enter it into this: https://createtv.com/challenge. It's just what food tv needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I've always reckoned Puttanesca to be a wintery dish because it uses a lot of stuff that gets preserved. Anchovies, capers, olives, garlic, chillies, tomato.

• Locked thread