Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doom Rooster: Instead of a name, can we post a picture and have you (or someone else) try to recreate it without knowing what it is?

Gann Jerrod posted:

I’d be interested to see what people think is in a California Burrito.
I'll take this one. It's currently the middle of the night, so it'll have to be tomorrow at the earliest - maybe Monday depending on when I next get to the supermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

I’d be interested to see what people think is in a California Burrito.

Well, I don't know what a California burrito is, but I do know what a California roll is and I know what a burrito is so I think I've got this.

So the first thing is the wrap. Obviously these aren't proper Mexican tortillas, but this is a California burrito so I assume we're not aiming for authenticity and I already had these in the house.

Now aside from the seaweed there are three ingredients in a California roll: rice, avocado and crab stick. So we'll obviously need all three of those.

I also assume that every American dish includes ranch dressing, but I don't like ranch so I'm going to use mayonnaise. I bought the fancy Japanese mayonnaise because people go on about how it's so much different and better than normal mayonnaise, but it actually tastes exactly the same.

But this isn't maki, it's a burrito, so it's going to need some salsa. But I don't think we want the normal Mexican style salsa for this particular combination of foods so I'm just going to make something I think will work with these flavours.

Also some cheese.

I may have overfilled it just a little bit.

It's 3pm and I hadn't eaten yet today, so maybe it's just the hunger talking, but that was actually not terrible? Like, not something I'll bother making again, but not something I regret either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pidan posted:

From Germany:
- sausage salad
I've kind of half-arsed this one, just because I happened to have some leftover sausages in the fridge. I thought "Germans like cabbage" so I made some coleslaw and put cut up sausages in it. Served with baked beans and cheese on baked potatoes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

That Culturally-Ignorant-of-Germans sausage salad meal seems pretty good to me. How about a trip report re: taste (and gastric consequences, if any), Tiggum?
Well, it was just coleslaw and sausages, so it was fine. Other than putting the sausages in the coleslaw instead of just serving them alongside it it was just a normal meal I'd happily eat any time, and that one small change didn't really make a significant difference.

The weirdest/most adventurous thing about it was that I baked the potatoes in a micro-convection oven for the first time (since I just got one) and they turned out pretty well. I just guessed the cooking time and temperature (30 mins at 200°) and I think I got it pretty much spot on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

very salty, the bacon jam + lobster combo.

Well, that was a direction I never would have imagined taking with that. Partly because I already knew what a jam roly-poly is, and partly because I had no idea that savoury jam was even a thing. Also, although I have heard of slaters being called roly polys before, the association doesn't immediately leap to mind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

I would love to see somebody have a go at burning love
I'll have a go at this one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

I would love to see somebody have a go at burning love, a Danish dish.
I don't know much about Denmark or Danish cuisine, but it was Valentine's Day recently and that made me think; what do people associate with Valentine's Day? Chocolate. The colour red. Drinking to escape the loneliness. Sure, all those things. So I think I've got a handle on what "burning love" might be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z17Vp78CgPA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just realised that I forgot to give my impressions of the food!

The whisky soaked straight into the cake and made it soggy and taste of whisky. The rocky road mix had a bit too much coconut - is rocky road even supposed to have coconut in it? - and the mini marshmallows aren't really of any value whatsoever, but the chocolate and nuts were chocolate and nuts.The berries were also fine.

So if you enjoy soggy cake and cheap whisky (and who doesn't?) then you're onto a winner.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Weatherwax posted:

Just in case other people want to know what burning love "really" is (I didn't see it covered, but I might be blind)
It's mashed potatoes with bacon and soft fried onions on top, served with pickled beets and sprinkled with chives.
Why it's called burning love? No idea, but it's nice and you can eat it with a spoon in front of the TV...

I wish I'd made that instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Part of me wants to do figgy duff
Do it!

I've been really busy lately but in a week or two I'll probably have time to cook something dumb again, so I'm really glad this thread hasn't fallen into the archives.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I couldn't actually find the post where this was suggested but it's in the big list at the start, so here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwyDkmH97RE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think I entered that. Nicely done!

Ah, so you did. It turns out I wasn't missing out on any context or hints though since you only gave the translated name.

• Locked thread