Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How about Devils on Horseback?

legendof posted:

I have made a chess pie. Of sorts. I will try to get a post up tonight documenting the... experience. It didn't go entirely to plan.

I've made chess pie before, it was delicious. Can't wait to see what you did :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Good effort. Now for the answer in spoilers.

American Chop Suey is just spaghetti and meat sauce but with macaroni elbows. I'm as disappointed as you are.

According to my grandmother-in-law, it's a bit more complicated than that:

Put elbow macaroni, diced tomatoes, ground beef, and onions in a loaf pan, top with ketchup, and bake. The end result should hold its shape well enough that you can slice it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the most important part of the disgustingness of coq a vin is the coq
roosters are disgusting to eat
this is why we don't eat them anymore

hens are fine

Roosters are just as fine as hens if you slaughter them at the same age. Meat birds you get at the grocery store are either sex and usually slaughtered at 6 weeks or so. Give them 12 weeks and let them run around outside and you'll get that "farm flavour" and they'll both taste delicious.

Eat a five year old laying hen and you'll find it just as tough and unappetizing as that five year old rooster that can't perform any more. It's the age, not the balls.

Like Clockwork posted:

I wish I could afford to gently caress around with food, some of these names sound great as blind starting points (and I actually have an idea for how to handle “””””pigeons”””””). So instead have a name offering: syrup waffles. Not waffles with syrup, syrup waffles.

I already know what these are, but I hope someone who doesn't attempts it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just learned about Pink Stuff and now I want to know what someone who hasn't had their innocence shattered thinks it is.

Leviathan Song posted:

Here is the final result.

The verdict? It was ok but a bit bland. I think it would've been better with a stronger fish like mackerel.

Holy poo poo would. That looks amazing and I bet it smelled fantastic.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

Awesome, I can't wait to see what you came up with.

I was thinking of other possible dishes for people to make, too. Does anyone want to attempt Bone Hole?

I'm not willing to commit to this because I don't have a lot of time for cooking lately, and if I do attempt it it'll be the weekend at the earliest...but I have an idea.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

I just looked it up and threw up in my mouth a little.

It looks like someone trying to cobble together rollmops without having any of the ingredients available except the pickle. It's so sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

Awesome, I can't wait to see what you came up with.

I was thinking of other possible dishes for people to make, too. Does anyone want to attempt Bone Hole?

So, here in Canada, everyone knows about Timbits -- balls of fried donut dough. When I was growing up, though, they were known by the generic name of Donut Holes.

It follows, then, that Bone Holes are whatever you take out of the bone to result in a hole through it -- the marrow.

I don't have any proper marrow bones, but I do have a bag of stewing beef bones in the freezer.

Fish out all the bones that look like they contain marrow:

Add some salt and pepper, bake at 450F for 15 minutes until cooked through and bubbly:

Extract the marrow. This...doesn't really look that appetizing.

Spread it on bread and try to enjoy.

Verdict: would not recommend. I've had marrow bones before and they were delicious, but these...were not, and were extremely fatty. I'm not sure if this is because beef bones don't make good marrow, or because they were bones from the wrong part of the cow, or if I did something wrong in preparing them, or what. But both plain and as a condiment, I would not call this a success.

My wife would like to contribute some recipes to the thread:

Fish and Brewis (pronounced "fish'n'brews"), commonly served with scrunchions.
Figgy Duff, a traditional part of Jiggs Dinner.
And Flapper Pie, not to be confused with Flipper Pie -- the two are very different.

• Locked thread