Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some ideas for you:
- Chess Pie
- Juicy Lucy
- Scrapple
- North Dakota-style Kuchen (this is the German word for "cake")

oh also:
- Tiger Bite sauce. In Hmong, this phrase is an idiom similar to calling someone a "son of a bitch"

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

North Dakota Cake

turn left op, noo! it's called "kuchen" literally. the german aspect comes into it here. they call it kuchen, not cake. also, even more specifically, it's common among the Dakota diaspora who say they are "Germans from Russia" i.e. Germanic people who were in Russia before coming to America. idk if all that needs to be in the op but it definitely isn't just "cake"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Some fun cocktail names:

* Charles Dickens' Own Punch
* Between the Sheets
* Cement Mixer
* Washington Apple
* The Fitzgerald
* Glögg

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, it's a sour with bitters, or almost a gin Manhattan. I like your idea with the Gatsby colors :D

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

prairie fire makes me think of pure grain alcohol, to be honest :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It has begun!

Peppers, garlic, ginger, and a little star anise for the ferment. Updates in a couple weeks once this is ready to have the rest of the spices added and be smoothed out. :v:

since it's going to be a couple weeks, if you want to post now about the rest of what you're going to put in it, i can post some explanations of the real thing. but if you want to wait for that, that's cool, too :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

The story I heard, long ago, is that the English term "refried beans" came via a mangled translation of the Spanish "frijoles refrito"

the word "frito" (or "frita") is the Spanish word for "fried" in adjective form. the literal translation of "frijoles refritos" is "refried beans" actually Wikipedia says refrito means "well fried" but again it definitely doesn't mean "refined"

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 30, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I just got out of the shower. I've been crying.

It was worth it.

So, after four weeks of lactofermentation, our patient looks like this:

nice

so, the sauce that i'm talking about is basically the house sauce that Hmong people serve with every meal, that you can add to your food/dip food into/etc. i don't have a full recipe but the one i've had personally has these ingredients:

quote:

Cilantro
Char Scallion
Mint
Thai Chilies
Fish Sauce
Lime Juice
Garlic
Soy
Rice Wine Vinegar
Palm Sugar
Canola Oil

these aren't the same as i just posted but here are some similar recipes:

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/hot-chili-condiment

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/cilantro-bud-hot-sauce-hmong

also check out some cool articles about a local guy here repping Hmong cuisine:

http://www.startribune.com/an-introduction-to-hmong-food-from-a-twin-cities-teacher-and-chef/450447733/

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-11-23/how-chef-yia-vang-putting-his-own-twist-hmong-cuisine

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 10, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

That sounds pretty tasty. May have to make some up, for all that sugar is anathema to me just now.

i will say that the one version i've had (which was made in the kitchen of the dude from those articles :smug:) didn't ever strike me as sweet. maybe if i had it again and was looking for that flavor i would taste it, but it wasn't something that ever occurred to me when eating it "blind"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Oh, crap. Just thought of a terrifying drink for my name. Vodka and alphabet/vegetable soup.

vodka and the marshmallows from Alpha-Bits cereal sound like a fun start to a cocktail. provided you can find something good to do with the marshmallows (crush, dissolve, ???). i went to an "iron bartender" competition once and breakfast cereal was one of the mystery ingredients, but i don't remember if anybody made use of freeze dried mallow bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

A+ thread necromancy, would gag again at fake bone hole description

• Locked thread