Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cubano Pressed Sandwitch . Or maybe Dutch Apple Baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Do I strictly need sturgeon so I can do Minnesota Sushi, or can I substitute with catfish..... Hm. I wanna do this one. It brings to mind such delights.

\/ Oh don't worry, it will incorporate elements of hot dish \/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 26, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pardon me, I refuse to kill idiot children. Unless the bucket is entirely full of nourishing and healthful soup that only tastes like it has alcohol in it, and is secretly full of fiber that gives you regret poops the next day.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've got leftovers in the fridge I think will be suitable for Minnesota Sushi, going to pick something up from Publix for my stab at this hopefully in the next two days.

Edit : god drat that was tasty but the photos are awful, the red balance is terrible on this camera. Hold on a tick while I fix this poo poo and not make it look like hospital food.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 22, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I am Swedish and Norwegian. The blood of the vikings and the Lutherans runs strong in my veins! By some freak chance, when my people immigrated to the US, instead of walking backwards and giving the finger to Ellis Island on their way to the great north, my ancestors rolled through, saw the city, and went "Hey, this aint half bad. Or, we are too broke to keep going. One of those. Let's be New Yorkers for the next three generations." And so they did. As a result, I grew up with a really weird mix of traditional Lutheran julekaga, krumkaka, kjottboller, and stuff for holidays, but most of the time ate pizza, bagels, hot dogs, fried chicken, tons of pasta, the whole deal. When we did eat 'fancy' food, it was Italian or Greek.

When I got home from my weekend in the everglades, mom and dad high-fived me on their own way out the door, and said 'leftovers in the fridge, have a nice week' as they went on their own merry way to their condo in south florida. Leftovers were white rice, green beans, peas, and spinach. I go, "Hey, those seem like the start to that thing I said I'd do like a month ago. TO PUBLIX!"

So then I went on my merry way to that land of delights and a thousand smiles, everyone's favorite grocer /sandwitch place / fried chicken provider / butcher /decent fish selection. I roll on up to the fish counter, make eye contact with the fishmonger, which here in the south, is a dangerous thing to do because those guys are BORED TO DEATH back there and will take any pretense at human contact to strike up a conversation and sell you fish. We chatted a moment, and glory of glories, fresh catfish fillets are on sale! I order up a fine half pound piece, and skip merrily on my way to the produce. There, angels sung and a bright beam of light shone on the pre-slices white mushrooms, also on sale. And then I got a case of beer because I don't have to go to work until friday.

When it came time to cook, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do. First, I got a good spoonfull of bacon dripings on the pan, warmed that up while I chopped an onion, which I added to the pan with the pound of mushrooms, a spoonfull of chopped garlic, and a spoonfull of ground ginger. About 2 teaspoon each I'd say. I wanted to brown everything off nice and sweet, so low and slow was the goal. Fortunately, my sister called, so we had a nice old chat for about 15 minutes while the onions and mushrooms browned down. When I got off the phone, they were perfect, so I took them off the pan and put them aside.

I then put the pan back on the range, put a little fresh veg oil in, and got my catfish out. While the pan came to temp, I cut the fillet in half, and dredged the peices in medium ground corm meal with salt, pepper, and general purpose meat seasoning that was lying around and I needed to finish up. I don't like a heavy breading when I cook for myself, it's a pain. The oil was medium hot, and the fillets cooked nicely for about 6 minutes a side.

While the fish cooked, I put two good blops of Dukes Mayonaise in the mushrooms, and a squeeze of wasabi that was in the fridge.

Once the fish was done, that went to the side, and the spinach in the pan with a pat of butter. That just cooked off the residual heat of the pan until wilted. also got up all the nice crispies and bits of cornmeal that came off the fish. Finally, I tossed the rice, green beans, and peas in the pan, and just re-heated them. Then, I did a poo poo job of plating!

My original goal was to present it a bit nicer and make it a bit more like sushi, but the rice was not sticking together and bleh, whatever. But you know what, it tasted great! And I have seconds for tomorrow. the horseradish mayo in the mushrooms is amazing with the fish.

I am aware of 'hot dish', but never really eaten it. I am assuming that Minnesotan Sushi is some kind of hot dish with tuna fish and rice and cream of mushroom. But that's not how I roll.

edit: I JUST LOOKED UP WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS AND HOLY poo poo I WANT THAT

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 22, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I definately want to try the original, I just gotta run back to publix and get the fixins. Ooh, would pancetta be nice too, or just go with a nice Boars Head smoked sweet ham?

Honestly, replace the cream cheese with swiss, add a slice of pork and salami too, and put it in a cuban roll, and you got yourself the fixins for my favorite sandwich. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_sandwich. I am very much a tampa style fan, but I do need a little bit of mayo. Juuuust to bring it all together and give it a creamy finish.

poo poo, wait, Cuban is still on the up for grabs list! SPOILERS

Edit: Made some lovely leftovers as well. Please note that is a random lemonade flavored vitamin drink I found in my truck pantry of random MRE components, not a beer. But it would have been excellent with a shandy.

\/\/In it's self, a culturally ignorant cuisine then!\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 24, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I dunno, the Minnesota sushi made looked far better than the actual thing, and while Tiggum's burning love was way off mark, looked like it would be a fine dessert to enjoy after gorging on the real thing! (Seriously, I love this thread.)

Eeeeeeee compliments thank you

I think someone suggested a Suspect Bucket would just be a Homer bucket of cheap liquor all dumped in and passed around at frat parties. I'd like to think that it's a kids sand pail full of cheap fruity margarita slush sold at some seaside attraction, and to get around public consumption laws labeled "NOT ALCOHOL"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Arglebargle III posted:

Someone do ants climbing a tree! It's Sichuanese.

I'd just make ants on a log, but just stick it up sideways in a pot of hot chilli oil.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

fizzymercy posted:

I also forgot about the damnedable bull penises thawing in the bottom of my refrigerator.

New thread name

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CannonFodder posted:

Go back in the woods in low country Carolinas and that's about how "boiled peanuts" is pronounced.

I pronounce it "loving disgusting slimy mess". God damned miasma of rotten boiled garlic wafting through the whole drat flea market, people spitting shells in the floor and my idiot dog eating them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
They're slimy when y'all spit them on the floor! My grandma's cane slipped on a shell and she nearly broke another hip. I HATE BOILED PEANUTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ToxicFrog posted:

So, here in Canada, everyone knows about Timbits -- balls of fried donut dough. When I was growing up, though, they were known by the generic name of Donut Holes.

It follows, then, that Bone Holes are whatever you take out of the bone to result in a hole through it -- the marrow.

I don't have any proper marrow bones, but I do have a bag of stewing beef bones in the freezer.

Fish out all the bones that look like they contain marrow:

Add some salt and pepper, bake at 450F for 15 minutes until cooked through and bubbly:

Extract the marrow. This...doesn't really look that appetizing.

Spread it on bread and try to enjoy.

Verdict: would not recommend. I've had marrow bones before and they were delicious, but these...were not, and were extremely fatty. I'm not sure if this is because beef bones don't make good marrow, or because they were bones from the wrong part of the cow, or if I did something wrong in preparing them, or what. But both plain and as a condiment, I would not call this a success.

My wife would like to contribute some recipes to the thread:

Fish and Brewis (pronounced "fish'n'brews"), commonly served with scrunchions.
Figgy Duff, a traditional part of Jiggs Dinner.
And Flapper Pie, not to be confused with Flipper Pie -- the two are very different.

Yay! Thread lives! Roast marrow bones can be a bastard. Part of me wants to do figgy duff and Redwall it up.

• Locked thread