Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

From Germany:
- cabbage sparrows
- sausage salad
- steam noodle
- cabbage goulash with bohemian dumplings

From China:
- sad cold (bean) starch
- tiger skin bell-pepper
- fish-head fire-pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I've kind of half-arsed this one, just because I happened to have some leftover sausages in the fridge. I thought "Germans like cabbage" so I made some coleslaw and put cut up sausages in it. Served with baked beans and cheese on baked potatoes.

This is amazing, I was afraid sausage salad was the boringest of my suggestions, but I'm glad it inspired you :)

Doom Rooster posted:

That looks terrible, but tasty! Anyone want to chime in with a critique of what German Sausage Salad should have been?

I haven't eaten it in years, but my aunt's partner used to make some really great sausage salad.

First, you need this kind of sausage:

According to wikipedia, it's called bologna in English. Normally you'd cut slices off and eat them on bread, but you can also make salad with it.

The other ingredients are mostly onions and pickles, but you can get creative and put tomatoes, peppers, radishes, carrots, cheese, or basically anything you'd find in a salad. I don't remember ever seeing anything leafy or starchy in it, so I'm afraid cabbage is an innovation. We do love cabbage though, who doesn't love cabbage?
Sausage salad is seasoned with some sort of vinaigrette, and you eat it with bread, or just plain like a normal salad before the main course.

Wikipedia has a collection of pictures of sausage salad, this one sort of represents the ideal:

And here's a Swiss version with some additional ingredients:

And here's one in its natural habitat, the beer garden:

In a beer garden you're allowed to bring your own food as long as you buy the beer, but various salads and cheeses are exactly what is sold there.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Helith posted:

Very confused Brit here, what the hell made you associate jam roly-poly with seafood? :confused: Jam roly-poly is a desert made of a layer of sponge cake with a layer of jam, rolled up and usually eaten with ice cream or custard.
I feel like I’m missing some key context here as I don’t know what a pillbug is.

e: some googling later and a pillbug is what I would call a woodlouse which is a land crustacean. Pillbugs are a US variant and can be known as roly-polies! Very clever!

I love watching crustaceans scuttling about, but I really hate eating any of them. Even and especially shrimp. So while I appreciate the ingenuity that went into that post, I'd much prefer the traditional roly poly.

I've had a concept for spotted dick in my head for weeks now, but I can't promise I'll get around to making / posting it any time soon.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

e: quote is not edit

pidan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 22, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Neofelis posted:

The end result.

The bell peppers were already a bit too soft and sweet, so stuffing didn't work as well as I'd hoped. At least the taste was good and I think I'll do a similar dish in the future without pre-roasting or striping the bell peppers, just putting them in the oven with the stuffing for 10-15 minutes.

You were definitely on the right track. Tiger Skin Bell Pepper (actually "green pepper", but I wanted to be clear that it's the vegetable and not the spice) is a Chinese dish that is made up of green peppers that are fried dry so they get a glassy, browned texture. Then they're served in a dark vinegary sauce. They look like this:

Here's a Chinese video showing how to make them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49jkKRNynYw

People on the internet seem to also make a variant where the peppers are filled with mince meat, but I've never seen that IRL

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Cavenagh posted:

Glorified Rice

Gold Glorious Gold

This is amazing :dance:

Leviathan Song posted:

I decided to do my take on Fishhead firepot. There seems to be three elements to this dish; fishheads, fire, and a pot. First I set a fire in the firepit.

The verdict? It was ok but a bit bland. I think it would've been better with a stronger fish like mackerel.

This is great too, and while the process is quite different, the result is really close to the original dish.

So the fishhead is pretty self explanatory. Chinese people like eating these, whereas in Europe fish is generally sold without the head.

The fire-pot (huo3guo1 火鍋) is a bit less obvious, and I'm not sure what exactly the "fire" part refers to. It's basically a spicy soup that boils on the table on a heating element, and the people sitting around it drop in various meats and vegetables to cook. When they're done you fish them out and eat them, kind of like in fondue except you don't really know which is yours, unless everybody has their own little pot, which is a variation that does exist but not with the fishheads for reasons I shall get into.
It's normally called hotpot in English.

This is a typical Sichuan hotpot:

It's mostly water with a large amount of chili oil and other spices.

This is a variety you get in north China, with a more "white soup" taste and heated by a cylinder of burning coals instead of a gas stove / electro plate. You can see the various drop-in ingredients next to it:

It's also pretty common to have both red and white soup, in a pot that has two compartments in a yin-yang shape.

All of these varieties exist with fish heads added. There's also hotpot where a whole fish is in it, which will soften as it's cooking and eventually you can pull pieces off the meat with your chopsticks. The fish heads follow the same principle, except they apparently taste even better. You can either put one really big fishhead (around the big lakes) or a number of smaller fishhead. I don't know if the species makes a difference.

I like this picture, the fish look so mournful:

The pictures I found by googling the English term always seem to de-emphasize the fish head, I can't imagine why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

CrispKing posted:

Cabbage Sparrows
Ok, I've got the closest thing I can get to a sparrow (cornish game hen) and cabbage. Let's do this.

Debone the middle of a cornish game hen (backbone/ribs/etc), then stuff those with pre-cooked stuffed cabbage, itself stuffed with onions, veg, and sausage. As for the real thing, the closest I could find was the "Moravian Sparrow" Czech pork dish -- is that the right one?

All of those look great.

Cabbage sparrows is German, and the German word is Krautspatzen. Kraut means cabbage. Spatzen is this bird:

But Spatzen is also a type of egg-noodle that looks sort of like this:

It's not cut or pressed through a form like normal noodles, you sort of lob chunks off the noodle dough and let them drop directly into boiling water. There's a bunch of different tools for that, ranging from Spatzen board and Spatzen grater to Spatzen shaker.

Anyway, you can eat this as a side dish with any meat, but they are also the main part of some dishes, most famously Käsespätzle (Spätzle with cheese, which is actually a pretty complex thing when you let a person from the Allgäu region make it), and the Krautspatzen we're talking about.

Basically Krautspatzen is Spätzle fried in a pan, with Sauerkraut. No meat in it, unless you add those little bacon cubes:

I'm happy that my dish names inspired so many goons :)

• Locked thread