Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Tendales posted:

The only weird local food name I can think of here in Oregon is Jojos.
Ooh, I bet it involves some huge beefcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Way to waste a perfectly good false cognate. I want spider sauce :(

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It sounds delicious and I feel like I can smell it through my screen. I want to have a sip.

Could I call dibs on garbage plate?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

With regret, I will have to release my claim on Garbage Plate--after doing a bit of preliminary preparations I realized my vision for it couldn't be accomplished within my own unfortunate dietary restrictions (no red meat or fatty dairy). However, I won't leave the thread hanging, as I have instead made

Tunicate posted:

Sauce Arachide Ivorienne au poulet

Ivory spider sauce on chicken.

So, let's lay the groundwork here. First, I'm going to take the translation as given because it's a really funny false cognate (which I would have easily fallen for) and if translated correctly the dish is almost a total nonstarter for this thread. So let's move past that. From having once seen it in a restaurant ad I know it is a dish from northwest Africa. I don't know that much about the region so I'm going to have to play this by ear.

Clearly I need chicken, an ivory sauce and something to make that sauce spidery. For starters, I assumed that the chicken is probably fairly normal, maybe marinated and grilled. I got four thighs and then looked around for ingredients that felt right for the marinate:
Gimme ingredients: salt, garlic, spring onions, 1/8 cup of sugar.

Cider vinegar I cooked the leftover pepper bits from pickling peppers.

Vodka I soaked powder made from home-grown ornamental peppers in back when I was in highschool

Grains of paradise aka alligator pepper. I first heard of this in the novel Things Fall Apart--yes, that was set on the opposite end of the continent but it was mentioned as a major trade commodity so it's not outside the bounds of reason. Alligator pepper is like a slightly fruity, slightly piney tasting peppercorn. I put a lot in.

And to round it out, a prickly pear! Scarodactyl you moron, you may be thinking, everyone knows that prickly pears are native to the new world. However, thanks to an odd flash of non-cultural-ignorance I also know that they are an invasive species in many areas of the world including northwest Africa, so it would make sense for them to be incorporated into local cuisine.

What I don't know is, how do you use prickly pears for anything. It feels hard and unripe so I put it on the George Foreman to pacify it, then cut it open.

Make sure to separate the hard, unchewable seeds before you add this to the marinate or you will have to pick them out by hand later.

So that did it for the chicken. I let it marinate overnight

Day 2, the sauce. As an ivory sauce it clearly needed to be white, which suggested a cream sauce (or rather, a coconut cream sauce given my allergy). So I picked out some quality white ingredients:

Coconut cream, easily collected by putting a dollar tree can of coconut milk in the fridge and letting it separate.

Spring onions (white part only)

Half a rutabaga, sliced into tiny slivers

8 cloves of garlic

White peppercorns, abundantly applied.

Fry the vegetables together in coconut oil to soften them up.

Add coconut cream, turn to low, salt to taste.

With the sauce coming along nicely I put the chicken in a baking pan with white onions, the green parts of the spring onions and the remaining rutabaga and popped it on the grill.

One element was missing, which was of course the spider in the spider sauce. I considered a copout by making it spicy (it has a bite!) but decided to go in a different direction. As everyone knows spider has a sweet, distinctly flavored meat, but there isn't enough on one to really justify all the shelling involved. What they're really known for culinarily is their caviar, and I decided to try to simulate that instead with tapioca.
Making tapioca pearls (or boba) is fairly straightforward. You just have to mix 1 part boiling water with about 2 parts tapioca starch, make a dough, shape it into balls and boil it.

I also wanted them to be yellow. I first tried boiling annato in the water before mixing the dough to add yellow color, but the coloration was too weak

so I had to turn to this saffron powder I got with a bunch of stuff from my grandma. It's probably 20 years old, so there's no flavor left at all but it sure makes things yellow.

That's more like it.

About 10 minutes of boiling later and they've gone nice and translucent.

Just like the spider laid it!
In the mean time, I turned the chicken a couple of times and finished it directly on the grill.

All together on the plate.

The verdict? It's surprisingly good. The chicken came up nicely, and the ivory sauce on its own is pretty decent too, with a creamy, garlicky peppery taste. The spider eggs can be a bit of a drag since the boba are basically flavorless (definitely something to address if anyone makes this again), but with a bit of the caramelized onion from the chicken for flavor and texture contrast it works a lot better.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Finally got to watching this and it is phenomenal. Great job!

• Locked thread