Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I'll take chocolate gravy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ok, obviously chocolate gravy is a sweet dish based upon the formal technique of gravy making. a gravy is a roux emulsion that contains the fond of a meat dish. obviously, the fond of a sweet dish is... just the crusty parts of a dish, crumbed up. obviously it's a sweet only dish
some blurry pics, sorry

my oven stopped working a week ago and the technician's here in two days so here's an example baked good that i just bought

4 egg yolks. very small egg yolks, you could prolly get away w/ 3 larges

pans

add about a third stick of butter, a bit of flour, some xanthan gum for thickening and emulsification (more emulsification)

it cooks down well

instead of a fond, we just have a little bit of cake

crumbed up, and added to the roux. sorry i don't have an explicit picture of that added to the roux. turns out crumbs absorb a lot more moisture than meat fond, lol

this is our chocolate

bain marie, eggs in, stupid little custard sans cream we're making

chocolate in

chocolate melted

add the fond + roux

voila. finished w/ paprika and sea salt

in b4 :itwaspoo:

full album here
https://imgur.com/a/tuKed

overall experience much like any chocolate custard w/o cream but w/ crunchy bits

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gently caress, spoiled myself just now and realized i got waaaay too close

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think i can take mother and child
there should be a listing in the op of these. like, status: suggested, taken, done, i can't keep track

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ok, mother and child
obviously the japanese are big on french cuisine, so i interpreted as the only mother and child in french cuisine, which are the mother sauces and julia child

so a mother sauce on boeuf bourguignon. ended up doing a super thick bechamel w/ cream

make the roux

roux was a bit thick

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i'ma try american chop suey next

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Hailing, as I do, from the great People's Republic of California ("Commiefornia"), it must come to pass that I be not a little alienated from that quantity or quality that makes food American, in the truest American style.

Therefore, I enlisted an Iowa-fed corn-blooded red-bred American to tell me what, of food, was most American, and how it could be incorporated into a Chop Suey.

"The most American food is Steak," the man said.

"and what of the vegetables?"

A thin boy from the state of Oklahoma, his legs bent with rickets, told me in response to this question,
"You will be entirely pleased to find, as a matter of fact, that the truest, most American of methods of preparing vegetables is to not prepare nor eat them at all. If it cannot be helped, at least deep fry them."

"what are the condiments that are usual in this land?"

A welding-man from the state of Ohio with a most curious tattoo on his forehead intoned:

"Cheese. Lots of cheese. Nothing but cheese."

With these encomiums in mind, I set out to create something viable and edible, and with the "pool of grease" that many emphatically required of any cooking that was to earn the title of American.

A magical beast of 600 pounds told me, in a strange suburban land from its rolling-machine, that everything American should have - "sugar. A fuckton of sugar. A mountain of sugar to eclipse the sun. Failing that, corn syrup." Sugar I lacked, but corn syrup I did have.

I would need to avoid the wok hei so beloved of Chinese Chop Suey enthusiasts, or else the sugar would burn.

Cheese... and steak. And, not pictured, the requisite pool of grease.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
(the rib, I ate later, because it didn't fit in the bowl)

next for me: Jam Roly-Poly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i strived to make a caricature of 'murica
i was outdone by the reality

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
was gonna do jam roly poly before, but i did the spam frites for the afp thread so i didn't wanna fry more than once. also i ran out of oil. so here's frybread

brioche.

obscenely long chopsticks ftw

the texture was absolutely like donuts but the flavor was absolutely like tempura so i just had it w/ ketchup

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also, update the goddamn op

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lotta peeps w/ bad suggestion to execution ratios itt

that said, someone's gotta do torpedo juice

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm making real torpedo juice for my MRE thread. I'm scared.

0% chance that the non-understood torpedo juice is as lol as the real thing but lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BastardAus posted:

Cheese on toast

goddamn it
spoiler the fuckin thing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ok, jam roly-poly
i had eaten pillbugs before but i think that probably it's a visual imitation of roly poly instead of the actual thing, because pillbugs taste awful
silkworm grubs is where it's at

steamer

our ersatz pillbugs

cut the marine bits off

some savory jam, in our case bacon and onion jam

mash it to a finer paste

mashed

begin cook

middle of cooking

finish cook

dish, w/ store bought bread

very salty, the bacon jam + lobster combo. definitely needed the bread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
next, rocky mountain oysters

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gently caress it, gonna do two at once
fat gravy
gonna have to wait till i go grocery shopping again tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LunarShadow posted:

That looks p great, if not even close. These are jam roly polys

Where's the insectoid parts?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you could do an infused corn, instead of despair-flavored corn packet. replace both the bacardi and the vodka with just a straight grain alcohol, then do the flambe to reduce alcohol content

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
remember the disgusting mug of ridiculous bullshit that that one low-carb goon ate and actually posted a picture of (I think it was the same goon who needed lipitor at 23 or something)? my imagination of fat gravy was exactly that, although i can't find the drat picture. so i aimed to replicate it

some, but not all of the ingredients, excepting tarragon which I made an executive decision not to add

i started with a piece of salt pork. the aim was to get as many possible variations of fat into this thing

cut it up a little bit, let it render with water added

cream and oil

special secret colored ingredient

whereupon it all went to poo poo. you see, i had neglected to think of the fact that cream, in fact, has a lotta loving water in it. also, i added way too much flour. so instead of turning into a proper loving roux for a gravy, this loving thing turned into a dough literally on the pan

i tried to save it by adding oil, but just loving lol

give up try again

oil roux. sorry, no more salt pork left. you will note that it's oil and flour only, and a noncrazy amount of flour this time

wait for it to brown a bit properly before adding the drat cream

the secret ingredient is soy lecithin. you see, i wished to replicate the disgusting slimy scum on top of the gravy. that means it foams beautifully and unhealthily. edible soap, what a miracle heaven-sent

after the foaming

in the mug. ironically, this mug has a pic from my college major, which was full of a bunch of smarty smarty pants. learned how to optimize neural nets in in-major classes, poo poo like that. great mug for use as a monument to bad decisions

you may ask, "where is butter, the glorious king of fats?" well, a certain something needed to be done a la minute

after i poured it out onto a plate

on some bread with jam on the side

taste-wise, this was basically a roundabout way of making something that tastes exactly like 40% oil, 60% browned butter. can't taste the cream but i bet that's part of the butter taste

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

Why not just use the fat dough to make a pancake or something?

i'd already ate dinner
no leaven (altho does the soy lecithin make a quick leaven? don't actually know about that)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Fat, then flour, then liquid. Always.

I knew that, i just figured that the cream was fatty enough to not count as liquid

That was not the case

E: upon investigation, i figured out that i wasnt using my usual dehydrated double cream, which turns to butter if you look at it wrong

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
coq a vin is disgusting because it's made with roosters. the cook time is designed to make it edible, but it's still pretty disgusting
you see ancient recipes calling for 6, 10 hours cooks with rooster. lol at doing that with a hen

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

I've only had coq a vin once, at Balthazar in NYC. It was absolutely delicious and even had a distinctive red wine taste to the chicken.

you have poule a vin, then

try to avoid eating old male animals with their balls in general

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the most important part of the disgustingness of coq a vin is the coq
roosters are disgusting to eat
this is why we don't eat them anymore

hens are fine

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ExecuDork posted:

\/\/\/ Sounds like a challenge to me. Where can I buy a dead rooster?

you can buy capon meat online
the problem with the capon is it's got its balls cut off, so the thing i said about it being awful is not true. rooster is w/ balls
http://www.dartagnan.com/capon-whole/product/FCAPO002-1.html

you will prolly have to buy an adult rooster and kill it, because they don't sell rooster-with-balls meat
fryer chickens are 7 weeks. chickens are not roosters before 1 year old. most of the roosters eaten in working farms would be >3 years old, maybe >5 years

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 15, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
awfulness is in the gaminess. also the stringiness. the wine is also there in the stew to disguise the taste.
pot pie would prolly work, if you do something else for flavoring and the rooster is there for meatiness, and you butcher against the grain properly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Scientastic posted:

What a fantastically crazy thing to say

have you had it with a 5 year rooster with its balls still in?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Doom Rooster posted:

Hey all, appreciate the concern. I'm still alive and pecking. Life did indeed get crazy. My wedding is in 12 days, then honeymoon trip to India two weeks later. Will try to get another entry knocked out before then. I'll also go through the thread and update posted creations and suggestions tonight or tomorrow.

lol, this shitpostin thread is less important than your wedding, i say as someone who's spent like $100 on food for this shitpostin thread
go forth
get married have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
250 for 3 hours would've given you something actually good. also a lot more salt than you would expect

• Locked thread