Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Straight out of corn country, I would suggest you make Dutch Letters. :v:

I'll even make the real thing and document it if you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That coco bread looks pretty good, actually. I might hit the top with some demerara sugar or toasted shredded coconut before baking next time to give it a bit more visual interest, but I can totally see it going well with a more hawiian style of pulled pork.

Also bonus points for using delicious goat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

That's what they want you to think, the real poo poo was a late night hallucinogenic. Well documented in newspapers of the time. The man just said it was bread and cheese to throw kids off the trail.

Edit: Serious question, would it even be legal to make that a drug and booze infused dish?

... yes?

Drugs less so, depending on their legality (and dosing unsuspecting people with food is a bullshit move that merits beatings) but booze is everywhere in cooking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Good post, but anything involving HEB is better than the barren wasteland that is HEB-less North Texas.

It's been almost a decade since I moved back north and I still miss Central Market in SA.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Going to put in a claim on Tiger Bite/Son of a Bitch Sauce. I have no idea what it is, but have some ideas for a hot sauce to make.

Going to be a while, though, as I want to do a fermented sauce.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 5, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Samizdata posted:

We can't wait, even though we will have to.

I'm picking up the last of the stuff for it tomorrow, already got a bunch of nice bright orange peppers ready to go...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Samizdata posted:

[ears perk up like those of the dog on the dog food can]

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It has begun!

Peppers, garlic, ginger, and a little star anise for the ferment. Updates in a couple weeks once this is ready to have the rest of the spices added and be smoothed out. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

since it's going to be a couple weeks, if you want to post now about the rest of what you're going to put in it, i can post some explanations of the real thing. but if you want to wait for that, that's cool, too :)

I'll wait. I'm not 100% on the spices, as they're going to be a 'to taste' thing to get the flavor right.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

<shameful order of gravy operations violation>

Fat, then flour, then liquid. Always.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Not yet. I really want to, though.

I know of a small farm that sells various somewhat exotic eggs through Kijiji, that's very close to my family's vacation property in eastern Ontario. I searched for turkey eggs a few months ago and this place popped up. I haven't been there yet, but when I do I will ask about a rooster - if they won't sell me one, I bet they can suggest a neighbour who will. Some rooster is going to its doom, but not soon.

Speaking of roosters and their doom, does anybody know Doom Rooster, the OP of this thread, in real life? Or on some other forum? He hasn't posted here since January 4th, and his last post on SA was in a TVIV thread on January 13th. I got that information from his post history, I'm not stalking anybody or trying to doxx anyone.

In the meantime, instead of arguing about french cuisine, can somebody step up and make something ridiculous for our entertainment, please?

Chill, it's been two weeks. People have lives outside of the Internet.

In Sonofabitch Sauce news, the sour smell of fermentation has faded out, and left it with peppers and -heat-. Two more weeks or so left to ferment, and I can tell already this is going to kick my rear end.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 22, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

As an update on the sonofabitch sauce, it's still fermenting.

Smells real good in my kitchen just now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Going to be bottling the Sonofabitch sauce today. Pray for me goons, as this poo poo is inevitably going to napalm my kitchen when I blend it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Good luck. I had to vent my entire apartment out for a few hours when I blended my ghost chili sauce. Was coughing and dripping for hours like I'd been pepper sprayed.

It's pretty good sauce.

I'm strongly considering blending out on my deck in the 10 degree air just to save my house from it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I just got out of the shower. I've been crying.

It was worth it.

So, after four weeks of lactofermentation, our patient looks like this:

The peppers kept their color brilliantly, and were still a little bit firm to the touch. The pictures stop here, because I had to glove up to protect myself and my innocent neighbors from the coming apocalypse.

Next off, I drained off the liquid and set it aside, then poured out the solids into a bowl. The star anise was located and pitched, as well as a couple of the garlic cloves because the scent was overpowering. The rest went into the blender.

However, as you recall this was started out as Angry Tiger Sauce. Tiger's aren't just orange. We needed a little bit of black to go with it. Subtlety goes out the window with me some times, so I decided to go threefold. First, we have the star anise. That's black, right? Then the next step, powdered black pasilla chilies. Finally, some black sesame seed, because that sounds like a flavor that would go well in here. Add a bit of salt as well, and some powdered tamarind to introduce some sour opposite the sweetness of the peppers.

Pulse this a couple times, then add back in the brine until it's at a consistency that seems good.

I tasted it at this point, and promptly lost feeling in my mouth. It was pretty tasty for that first couple seconds, though! Very sweet and peppery. Might benefit from some vinegar, but I'm leaving it straight for now.

Next up, the problem of storage. If I leave this open, my whole fridge is going to murder me any time I touch it. I'm not having any of that, so we need an answer. 5oz shaker bottles to the rescue!

All in all, 1lb of peppers and 2/3 quart of brine made 15oz of finished sauce. I'll have to find a friend to offload one of these on, as it's too hot for me to drink straight.

Then of course, like a dumbass, I hit the blender with hot water and the steam cloud maced me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That sounds pretty tasty. May have to make some up, for all that sugar is anathema to me just now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

In Eastern Iowa, that's known as "Frog Eye's". The wife to this day will get some nice smoked pork loin slices from Fareway and make them with cream cheese and Claussen pickles for an afternoon snack

We always did them with Pella dried beef or thin-cut corned beef instead of ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'd make a good drink I think. Although it'd work best with a skull tequila, being a skeleton and all. It'd probably end up just being a margarita of some form.

I wouldn't even be a challenge. Cold vodka with an antifreeze back.

• Locked thread