Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm not drinking tonight but I'll submit what I would make for that cocktail:

Classic gin fizz, but muddle a bunch of Sichuan peppercorns in the gin before shaking the gin with the lime, sugar and egg white. It'll give your mouth a tingly feeling like it's being shocked!

Actually that sounds pretty good, I think I'll try it later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Alberta Premium and Tabasco, accept no substitutes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That looks extremely glorified, 10/10.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Sauce Arachide Ivorienne au poulet

Ivory spider sauce on chicken.

You've, uh, made an error in your translation. Unless that's part of the joke and I'm not getting it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

even if it's an error i move that it be accepted as a submission

Fair enough.

False cognate cooking challenges could be an interesting new direction for the thread...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tunicate posted:

:ssh:

This isn't culturally aware cuisine.

Other dishes have been literal translations that turn out strange in English. Just using different words entirely makes no sense.

I don't even speak French, but living in Canada you see French words on packages all the time and that translation immediately struck me as incorrect, so maybe that's colouring my perception relative to other examples which come from languages I don't know at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Calling dibs on Spaghetti in the style of whores, I'll have a whack at it today or tomorrow, ingredients allowing.

See? This is going to be funny, and it's based on an awkward but correct translation instead of imagined nonsense.

(Also this is one of the few I know, I'm excited to see how your version compares)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Spaghetti in the style of whores is done! It was... Ok?

I'll post pics on monday probably when there is time.

Awesome, I can't wait to see what you came up with.

I was thinking of other possible dishes for people to make, too. Does anyone want to attempt Bone Hole?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Elizabethan Error posted:

um you can't set 40% alcohol on fire, much less when it's been diluted by that cherry liquor. minimum % that will ignite is ~100 proof(50%)

At room temperature, at least.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What happened to pasta in the style of whores? I really wanted to see how that one got interpreted...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno, did you ask your mom?

Rude, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

So, here in Canada, everyone knows about Timbits -- balls of fried donut dough. When I was growing up, though, they were known by the generic name of Donut Holes.

It follows, then, that Bone Holes are whatever you take out of the bone to result in a hole through it -- the marrow.

I don't have any proper marrow bones, but I do have a bag of stewing beef bones in the freezer.

Fish out all the bones that look like they contain marrow:

Add some salt and pepper, bake at 450F for 15 minutes until cooked through and bubbly:

Extract the marrow. This...doesn't really look that appetizing.

Spread it on bread and try to enjoy.

Verdict: would not recommend. I've had marrow bones before and they were delicious, but these...were not, and were extremely fatty. I'm not sure if this is because beef bones don't make good marrow, or because they were bones from the wrong part of the cow, or if I did something wrong in preparing them, or what. But both plain and as a condiment, I would not call this a success.

Thanks for playing! "Bone hole" is the literal translation from Italian of ossobuco, which traditionally uses veal shank, and you can absolutely eat the marrow out of the bones once cooked, so you weren't too far off, but the traditional version looks much tastier :v:

I may end up trying one of your contributions when I have time, those sounds fun to try and I don't recognize any of them.

• Locked thread