Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

R. Mute posted:

from the graun article on the protests:

oh just shot in the legs for throwing rocks, that's okay then

oh huh. did the tank shell aim for their legs as well?

yeah, one up-and-coming anti-protest tactic in the IDF over the past few years is to identify people they think are protest leaders or otherwise influential, and then have a sniper shoot them in the legs with live ammo in the middle of the protest. it's gotten very little play in the Western media, though

i imagine the tank shell was probably an intimidation tactic in hopes that they could blunt the expected wave of protests that day. by using overwhelming force against some poor random farmer early enough to make the morning news, they hoped to discourage people from going to the protests by flaunting their willingness to use ruthless and brutal tactics against unarmed civilians for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

meanwhile the belgian national news network has found out exclusive info that literally no other news network is going with: the farmer they blew up was crossing the border!

probably to terrorise israeli crops

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

R. Mute posted:

meanwhile the belgian national news network has found out exclusive info that literally no other news network is going with: the farmer they blew up was crossing the border!

probably to terrorise israeli crops

wonder where they got that info, because witnesses said his body was found half a mile from the border

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

i imagine the tank shell was probably an intimidation tactic in hopes that they could blunt the expected wave of protests that day. by using overwhelming force against some poor random farmer early enough to make the morning news, they hoped to discourage people from going to the protests by flaunting their willingness to use ruthless and brutal tactics against unarmed civilians for no reason

Nobody believes that. They use overwhelming force on one or two people to stoke these protests, and then exploit their overwhelming bias in Western media to make it look like the uppity Gazans are at it again, and Hamas is just stirring up trouble. It's part of a long term strategy to manage the conflict by riling people up and then putting as heavy a price on resistance as possible.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
just saw the news and welp

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/979807892667752449?s=19

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

wonder where they got that info, because witnesses said his body was found half a mile from the border
crawled back terroristishly in a hamas propaganda effort

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Percelus posted:

i have a super hot take - assad should convert to judaism so people stop pretending to be outraged at his state ordered murder of arab protesters

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I want to go to war with Israel

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Joo_Gaza/status/979752738354548737?s=19

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grondoth posted:

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Grondoth posted:

they freaking suck

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KreaseChan/status/979875000734937091

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/Comparativist/status/979783035896737792

Pallywood strikes again!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i'm the person filming who is completely incapable of keeping the 1 guy in view the entire time

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jose posted:

i'm the person filming who is completely incapable of keeping the 1 guy in view the entire time
extremely normal takeaway

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

megalodong posted:

Pallywood strikes again!
That reminds me of this party I went to a few years ago. Afterwards I went to hang out and drink beer and chill with these two Israeli students at their place next door. One of them grew up in Russia and was a Spartak Moscow hooligan, moved to Israel, did his stint in the IDF, got out and went to college.

Anyways he showed me this "Pallywood" video compilation on his laptop. There were a few times when it looked like staged stuff was happening but other times... uhh... not. So I'm here sitting next to this guy watching Palestinian kids get shot, and any time one of them got hit he'd start going HAHAHAHA and anyways it was really disturbing!

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 13:42 on Mar 31, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

making GBS threads on IDF vets in youth hostels was a large part of my 20s

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

What was so important about the tire?

I'm sure that it was some sort of tire bomb and the kid was actually a 45-year old Hamas operative known as "Baby Devourer" but seriously why were those guys braving gunfire for what looks like an old tire?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sometimes seemingly useless stuff ends up carrying extreme symbolic weight, and while to any outside observer the tire seems weird I'm sure to them it meant a lot.

Anyway, I thought it was odd that the media couldn't avoid the fact that this was a completely one-sided massacre, so I'm sure the way it'll play out in the next few days is that it'll be mostly ignored then completely forgotten when a retaliatory attack happens.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nobody believes that. They use overwhelming force on one or two people to stoke these protests, and then exploit their overwhelming bias in Western media to make it look like the uppity Gazans are at it again, and Hamas is just stirring up trouble. It's part of a long term strategy to manage the conflict by riling people up and then putting as heavy a price on resistance as possible.

yeah bringing things to the boil like this is now part of modern policing in the UK and US too

the idea is bad things would have happened eventually anyway even if you hadn't shelled the farmer or whatever, so its best to get them out quickly while you have assets etc in place to stop the resultant outburst

the only small flaw is that its malevolently, moronically insane

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Main Paineframe posted:

If I recall, Israel claims the entire 1 mile past the border into Gaza as theirs, as a sort of buffer zone beyond the border.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ahmadinejad was right

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
The pro-Israeli FB group take as reported to me by my parents is that they deserved it for trying to cross the border. A highly nuanced take, to be sure.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be cool if everyone in the idf dropped dead

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

If I recall, Israel claims the entire 1 mile past the border into Gaza as theirs, as a sort of buffer zone beyond the border weapons/oppression labratory and prison.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Murder all soldiers imo.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lab_%28film%29?wprov=sfla1

Documentary about exactly this

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lll watch that when I feel like being enraged

quote:

It is controversial because it claims Israel makes profit by testing weapons in the occupied territories that are then sold worldwide with the marketing that they were tested in combat.

that sounds like the opposite of controversial, that sounds indisputable

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i dunno if it was just over here in the UK but during the last "mowing the lawn" episode all the papers had just blatant adverts for Iron Dome where I guess the IDF had given them loads of technical specs with the aim of selling it and the guardian etc just reprinted it as news because they're craven morons?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ethics 101: Killing human shields is bad. It is murder. Shooting the hostage is not a solution.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants. It's a huge gray area of international law. 
At best, this is Yosemite Sam-level "dance, varmint" dickery. 
At worst, it's stormtroopers firing in the general direction of C3PO and R2D2.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Someone with a firm grip on reality.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
https://youtu.be/MF06H5OHbQk?t=195

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/joeyayoub/status/980098164748365824

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

paul_soccer10 posted:

It would be cool if everyone in Hamas dropped dead

fixed that for you

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

lol they're sending kids to the border to gently caress with soldiers in the hopes the IDF will kill kids.

very cynical.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Michael Bayleaf posted:

they freaking suck

actually they're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

ArfJason posted:

This is extremely one of the worst posts I've ever read, and is precisely why I ask you all to not post like idiots in here.