Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

DogGunn posted:

Too bad they do gently caress all for their own people. They ain't humanitarians at all.

Looks like someone doesn't know about the Al-Aqsa Flood Combine Harvester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Not the last city to be sacked by christian Europeans for being the wrong kind of christian.

I'm guessing this is some bullshit Charles V did?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Isentropy posted:

lol the sack of Rome by Charles V wasn't even the last time that a Christian city was sacked for being the wrong type of christian.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
that thread title lmao

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Isentropy posted:

Well there's also this thing called the 100 years war which is part of the European Wars of Religion after the Reformation

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1784263554377339313

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Erdogan you cowardly bitch I can no longer support your pizza place in eastern europe

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that Cheeto guy that just got probed only posts in this thread, and i mean every one of his 269 posts, so its a burner for posting in cspam or something lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

cheetovonburner

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
lmao that the flag concern trolling lasted all of like two posts before he wasn't able to hold it in anymore and blurted out 'actually I'm just extremely racist'

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Mister Bates posted:

lmao that the flag concern trolling lasted all of like two posts before he wasn't able to hold it in anymore and blurted out 'actually I'm just extremely racist'

they can’t help but tell on themselves

every time

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

StashAugustine posted:

ive always like the interpretation that it was part of a long roman tradition of losing control of their barbarian mercenaries

That's pretty much how Islam started, according to the latest research in the past 10 years.

Both Romans and Persians employed Arabs as mercenaries, federated troops, and auxiliary states during the Roman-Persian Wars, and promoted the spread of Christianity and Zoroastrianism in Arabia, while at the same time, treating them pretty bad. Most importantly, neither would allow the Arabs to have a stake in their religion. For the Zoroastrians, the religion required certain holy sites, containing holy fires, all of which were in Persia, for it to be practiced.

For the Christians, most of Syria and Arabia was the "wrong" type of Christian which the Romans persecuted more fiercely than would make sense if you understood the theological minutiae this was over. The Romans also refused to appoint bishops to the Arabs, because that would be a sort of legal recognition of them as nations. This culminated in a giant, Christian, Jihad, under Mavia, which defeated the Romans. The monk Moses was appointed to be Bishop of the Arabs as part of the terms of peace. This was a fairly big deal because he was recognized as one of the holiest men of the age, he's been canonized since. It's probably not a surprise to people ITT, but the fact that the Christian Empire did not act very Christian in their dealings with subjects or people on the fringes of empire caused a lot of dissonance.

The huge amounts of money and military experience going to the Arabs from both sides of these wars, exactly like the barbarians in Northern Europe and the Balkans transformed their society. It made them better organized, created centralized political leadership, traditions of diplomacy, a sense of communal identity etc. It also made them really potent, military forces.

The Romans had just finished another cycle of their favourite thing "betray and massacre 'Barbarians' who had grown too powerful" to a few Arab tribes on the eve of Mohammed, which if you remember had already led to the destruction of a Roman army and death of an emperor at Adrianople, and would again lead to similar problems with the Bulgarians later, but apparently they couldn't help themselves.

So you have the Romans and Persians creating all of these conditions where Arabia is developing rapidly but won't be let into the political or ideological order on an equal footing. The idea of an Ummah, or community united by a single creed, ended two hundred years of religious violence, first within Arabia, then without. If you compare the simplicity of the shahada to, not the Nicene Creed, but the (now obscure) interpretations of specific words or phrases of the Nicene Creed that led to whole cities in Syria being destroyed in these Roman wars of religion, it seems reasonable to think that peace under the "barbarians" was preferable to persecution under one or both of the major empires.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Marenghi posted:

No atrocity propaganda dropped just in time to discredit the student protests.

Israel will be defeated.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This is playing before every YouTube video for me today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUk8vVxCpQ

I thought the "There never was a Palestine" :smuggo: thing was passe. Why bring it back now?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is playing before every YouTube video for me today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUk8vVxCpQ

I thought the "There never was a Palestine" :smuggo: thing was passe. Why bring it back now?

Ironic for a state that existed for 50-80 years total before 1948...

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

“the jihads” lmfao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That's pretty much how Islam started, according to the latest research in the past 10 years.

Both Romans and Persians employed Arabs as mercenaries, federated troops, and auxiliary states during the Roman-Persian Wars, and promoted the spread of Christianity and Zoroastrianism in Arabia, while at the same time, treating them pretty bad. Most importantly, neither would allow the Arabs to have a stake in their religion. For the Zoroastrians, the religion required certain holy sites, containing holy fires, all of which were in Persia, for it to be practiced.

For the Christians, most of Syria and Arabia was the "wrong" type of Christian which the Romans persecuted more fiercely than would make sense if you understood the theological minutiae this was over. The Romans also refused to appoint bishops to the Arabs, because that would be a sort of legal recognition of them as nations. This culminated in a giant, Christian, Jihad, under Mavia, which defeated the Romans. The monk Moses was appointed to be Bishop of the Arabs as part of the terms of peace. This was a fairly big deal because he was recognized as one of the holiest men of the age, he's been canonized since. It's probably not a surprise to people ITT, but the fact that the Christian Empire did not act very Christian in their dealings with subjects or people on the fringes of empire caused a lot of dissonance.

The huge amounts of money and military experience going to the Arabs from both sides of these wars, exactly like the barbarians in Northern Europe and the Balkans transformed their society. It made them better organized, created centralized political leadership, traditions of diplomacy, a sense of communal identity etc. It also made them really potent, military forces.

The Romans had just finished another cycle of their favourite thing "betray and massacre 'Barbarians' who had grown too powerful" to a few Arab tribes on the eve of Mohammed, which if you remember had already led to the destruction of a Roman army and death of an emperor at Adrianople, and would again lead to similar problems with the Bulgarians later, but apparently they couldn't help themselves.

So you have the Romans and Persians creating all of these conditions where Arabia is developing rapidly but won't be let into the political or ideological order on an equal footing. The idea of an Ummah, or community united by a single creed, ended two hundred years of religious violence, first within Arabia, then without. If you compare the simplicity of the shahada to, not the Nicene Creed, but the (now obscure) interpretations of specific words or phrases of the Nicene Creed that led to whole cities in Syria being destroyed in these Roman wars of religion, it seems reasonable to think that peace under the "barbarians" was preferable to persecution under one or both of the major empires.

This was really interesting, thanks for posting it. I read a bit about this era ages ago but I definitely haven't seen any of the new scholarship on it. Really helps contextualize early Christianity under the Empire and why so many sects distanced themselves from the RCC early on (because they didn't have a choice).

edit: lol thread title. incredible brains on display. history as something that's taught as a discipline is definitely dying and this is what will replace it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

let them cook

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys I know america is backing a genocide but I felt compelled to post that America didn't lose in the red sea they just left and also the guys that made them leave are bad dudes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I do love that to most people the Houthis emerged from the dunes of Deepest Arabia to harass free trade and that they didn't come to power through a series of brutal conflicts and a genocidal war that Saudia Arabia waged, backed by every single western nation that wanted to sell arms to our friends, the House of Saud.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lmao at that shitlib racing breathlessly into the thread to speedrun his own personal prosperity guardian

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
history began when I woke up this morning and there have been no previous events of any kind

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Dreylad posted:

I do love that to most people the Houthis emerged from the dunes of Deepest Arabia to harass free trade and that they didn't come to power through a series of brutal conflicts and a genocidal war that Saudia Arabia waged, backed by every single western nation that wanted to sell arms to our friends, the House of Saud.

people saw Dune one time and immediately think they understand the Middle East

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Pro-Palestine protest near my house but the first speaker they had on was an inarticulate moron. Some people really do just want to be the center of attention and talk in front of a crowd even if they have no coherent thoughts or ideas beyond the gut level emotion they feel

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
"These politicians... they're all the fuckin same!!" wow speak truth to power brother :wth:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Red Baron posted:

people saw Dune one time and immediately think they understand the Middle East

Jokes on you, I've understood the Middle East ever since I saw Lawrence of Arabia never trust the English

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mister Bates posted:

It's very funny when you just ask them to clarify a point and they explode into an inferno of racist poo poo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

"These politicians... they're all the fuckin same!!" wow speak truth to power brother :wth:

tbf they're not wrong

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

what the hell kinda sick mind produced this thread title which has been bugging me since I read it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

crepeface posted:

It's very funny when you just ask them to clarify a point and they explode into an inferno of racist poo poo

Yeah apparently if you try to get someone to explain why they think are the things they are, their first impulse is to reach for their D&D player's manual to look up racial attributes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Regarde Aduck posted:

that Cheeto guy that just got probed only posts in this thread, and i mean every one of his 269 posts, so its a burner for posting in cspam or something lmao

Dude registered in November and posts exclusively in this thread where he's got two ban+30s for snuff. A sixer for being unrepentant about posting snuff, another for pruriently describing snuff. And a week for posting Nazi tweets.

Burner or re-reg, either way they're definitely very normal.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://fxtwitter.com/solidarity_star/status/1784277583028220098?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

hadji murad posted:

jihad me at hello

:dukedoge:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Vomik posted:

I see the Israeli lobby sent an aid package to president Biden as thanks

lol

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

AnEdgelord posted:

Well there's also this thing called the 100 years war which is part of the European Wars of Religion after the Reformation

That's the 30 years war, the 100 years war was pre-reformation and about England and France slapping each other for a century.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

in starting to think quite a few posters had their geopolitical outlook informed by team america world police

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

mdemone posted:

what the hell kinda sick mind produced this thread title which has been bugging me since I read it

something disturbed and abhorrent... an australian

FormaldehydeSon has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Apr 27, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hadji murad posted:

jihad me at hello

Vomik posted:

I see the Israeli lobby sent an aid package to president Biden as thanks

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Jel Shaker posted:

in starting to think quite a few posters had their geopolitical outlook informed by team america world police

Durka durka Mohammed Jihad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dolash posted:

That's the 30 years war, the 100 years war was pre-reformation and about England and France slapping each other for a century.

Yeah got them mixed up, I hate that era of European war naming conventions because it's really easy to mix up the name.