Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Absolutely every animal, even sharks, seems to enjoy scritches and belly rubs. But they'd be very unlikely to get them in the wild. So strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

A grey fantail I met in the ironbark forest just out of town. They are super inquisitive and have an amazing song.
LOOK HOW FAT IT IS

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

What if various Australian birds swapped colours for a day?
I was going to include the spotted pardalote, but that'd be a bit ambitious.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That's a dinosaur

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I wondered why the australian magpie's scientific name translates as "naked nose." Having seen its cousins' feathery beak, the name makes a lot more sense!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The worst Australian bird name is the "intermediate egret"
It's bigger than the little egret, but not quite so large as the great egret, you see.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Despite being 600km from the ocean, a small lake near our town is suddenly home to a couple hundred pelicans.....

...including the only pelican to be terrible at making friends.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hungry Computer posted:

Parrot tongues are basically little mouth fingers. They're used of touching things as much as tasting. Lorikeets also have brushes on the tips of their tongues for collecting nectar.

https://i.imgur.com/FfDXeE5.mp4

It's great how birds have gone "who needs ARMS when you can have WINGS!" and then a while later have gone "actually no, arms would be quite useful"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Regarde Aduck posted:

he looks very hansom to me and just needs some confidence

I'm glad you have such regard for all fowl, not just ducks.

Meanwhile my search continues for Australia's Fattest Bird. (Probably don't google that.) Three photos from the one patch of forest a couple of days into our glorious southern hemisphere winter. Gaze upon their orblike glory

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I committed an art. Australian bird species palette swap. Everything looks better with a pardalote colour scheme.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Who can take a buildinggg
Sprinkle it with poo
Cover it with feathers and an allergy or two
The pigeon maaaaan
Yes the pigeon man can

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Now you too can be a field ecologist!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Megabound posted:

Is it screaming at you needs to have noise minor added to it, black and white needs butcher bird and currawong added, otherwise perfect.

Sadly the chart has no way of distinguishing between magpies and currawongs. Unless I add "does it vomit berries into your birdbath every morning y/n"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Pardalotes in the dead centre of the diagram, as befits their status as Best Birds. (Rhipiduridae a close second obvs.)

Bored posted:

I’m going back through this thread to try to find the twitter account of the person with the kestrel and vulture bird friends because there is also a post somewhere in here with her tweet showing her new rod iron emu proof doorbell guard.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know this post made me giggle again the third time I’ve read it.

Thanks Bored!!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hey birb thread! I've been photographing and tallying what I see around my town, and Bird Species Number Seventy for our shire is...

...the rose robin! Look how fat it is.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I've got this theory that, a la Skynet, the internet has actually attained sentience. Thankfully it's not really into nuclear apocalypse and instead likes fun gifs. It chooses to post on these forums under the name of Captain Capslock

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

TontoCorazon posted:

I too took a picture of a big rear end seagull today

That thing is absolutely thinking about the flavour of your eyeballs.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Birds of play

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

It's been over a year, but the rainbow bee-eater family is back in my forest!
Well, not my forest, but anyway

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Who are you to argue with the algorithm? Its' mighty robo-logic is beyond questioning

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BaronVonVaderham posted:

More importantly: Why am I not an eagle just soaring around a castle and instead I have to be a human with bills and responsibilities like a chump?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

A red-rumped parrot from the park near my house.
Also known as the grass parrot, cos it feels kind of embarrassing to comment on bird rumps.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ariong posted:

Clearer view of eponymous rump

I feel like that's more of a lower back situation. It does look fabulous though.

lord funk posted:

Wait til you figure out what 'vented' means.

It can't possibly be worse than "rump" can it?

e: THE HECk

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Feb 13, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Is this that Superb owl the americans are going on about today?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

my cat is norris posted:

lol at his friends making it look so easy

I'm so glad the ice skating experience crosses species

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ooh, crested pigeons! There's a lot of these guys living around my street. They are slow, fat and clumsy; they enjoy sitting on power lines during hailstorms. Somehow they are super abundant.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bored posted:

That guy is probably smarter than me since he thinks it needs to go back to its tree and I would just wanna figure out how to make friends with the giant, dangerous bird.

I waved at a familiar hawk yesterday, on my way into town, though, so I am dumb.

If waving at handsome birbs is dumb, I don't want to be smart.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mobby_6kl posted:

"The pink robin is a small passerine bird native to southeastern Australia. Its natural habitats are cool temperate forests of far southeastern Australia." (stolen from imgur)

Aw heck yes. We have their close relatives, the red-capped robin and rose robin, in the forests near my house. These photos are from last year:

The Boginderra forest has been left untouched because the soil is rocky and nutrient-poor even by Australian standards. So when it hasn't rained in a while, all the grasses and shrubs and trees seem to end up various shades of white and dry-straw-yellow and bleached grey, with all the animal life doing its best to blend in with that colour scheme. And then, amidst all the grey, you have these few tiny little birds all coloured neon red or pink shooting around. They are extremely rad.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
...they really are dinosaurs, aren't they

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I liked the robin post.

It's autumn here in Australia, and the birds in the local forests are putting on absurd amounts of weight ahead of winter. Lookit these little orb dudes. I love them

grey fantail

eastern yellow robin

speckled warbler (possibly the most bird-name-ish bird name ever)

double barred finch

Pookah posted:

Robins are one of the perfect beauties of winter in this part of the world. Most birds stop singing in winter, but robins have this most beautiful, thin, cold little song that persists for the whole season, like a stream that is close to freezing, but never does.

What a wonderful thing to write!

BalloonFish posted:

I'm on a boat and the geese have us surrounded:
Now they're going for the ropes. If you don't hear from me again it's because they've learnt how to undo the mooring lines!

My horrible kids appreciated this post.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Coxswain Balls posted:

Are you telling me I can get high on birds?

Well, most birds have no trouble getting high

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

These are corellas. They're loud. Really really really loud. This was but a fraction of their stupidly huge flock, but my zoom lens wouldn't go any wider.
They're loud.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I don't know why, but this horse had a bodyguard of half a dozen egrets. Whenever he took a step, they'd bunch up and follow him, watching in all directions. I don't know enough about horses or egrets to say why.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Cythereal posted:

Those are cattle egrets. They eat all the bugs and small critters stirred up by the horse moving around and eating grass.

Cool!
I wonder if there was a dinosaur equivalent.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

A wonderfully fat fairy wren hiding in the thorns at the local forest. I also saw an echidna, so it was a great day for spiky things.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

TaurusTorus posted:

I am large and soft and it's not great. Maybe the secret is blue

How's your plumage? Is your beak sturdy?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I just took this picture in my front yard (australian raven (the bird, not me)) and look how fancy he is. Look at that confident stride and those dinosaur feet. I wish him every success with his nest-building and hope he isn't just planning on poking sticks into electrical infrastructure.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FBS posted:

these two have sat here staring at me for like five minutes. they're watching me make this post.

They're thinking "we could probably lay an egg on that person's head. Maybe add two or three twigs first for safety"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Imagine being able to see in every drirection at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inceltown posted:

Language of the lyrebird

Listen to and learn a bit about the lyrebird.

Great post! Thankyou.

distortion park posted:

I've never seen a heron this comfortable with people before

There were a couple just chilling. Even a few dogs going past within 3 or so meters.

I'm always surprised by how much bigger European birds are compared with their Australian equivalents. Your white swans are big, and your herons and ravens just look like scaled-up versions of ours.