Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Big eye station in here. Yes, we know it looks weird.

Coming out Summer of 2018!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8mN_7Apcw

https://i.imgur.com/3IpHUDE.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/cJ5SKbX.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What the hell is this goofy poo poo. This is what cameron has been waiting years to make?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is bad cyberpunk.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Battle Angel Alita is one of my favorite mangas and this trailer... concerns me.

IMDB's cast list mentions Ajakutty as Ajakutty & Lana Condor as Kiyomi as an adult, which makes me wonder if they're going to include Alita's motorball life & her time as The Tuned.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I agree with the rumblings that Cameron/Rodriguez were aiming for uncanny with Alita's eyes, but the human owl look is not the way to do it. Her perfect skin and overly shiny hair already sell her inhumanity. On the flip side, there are a fuckton of people discussing :pwn: for an otherwise obscure story.

What really concerns is how shiny and clean Scrapyard looks. It's supposed to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy made worse by all the posthuman killers running around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

Battle Angel Alita is one of my favorite mangas and this trailer... concerns me.

I love Alita and I'm already mourning that this is going to flop and we probably won't see all the wildly differing story arcs going into different genres like Motorball or Barjack/Den or that huge sidetrack about vampires taking over the planet after World War III

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 9, 2017

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm just so shocked this movie is actually going to be made that I don't even give a gently caress about how weird she looks, everything besides that looks pretty great. It definitely looks better than most live action anime adaptations.

One thing is I am disappointed that they're covering THIS story again and there will probably never be a sequel so no motorball, no jashugan, no zapan, no tuned, no barjack, no mf'in DESTY NOVA, and so forth. Such a giant waste of potential :(

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Motorball will be in this film for what it's worth.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Tekne posted:

Motorball will be in this film for what it's worth.

Yeah this seems concerning as that seems way to much to push into a origin story.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I have it on good authority that the film will cover Battle Angel, Last Order, and Chronicles all under 2 hours.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Tekne posted:

What really concerns is how shiny and clean Scrapyard looks. It's supposed to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy made worse by all the posthuman killers running around.

This is actually what bothers me a lot, too. Most of the people we see are just normal humans (as opposed to the manga and anime, which were both up to the gills in cybered-out weirdos) and the city itself is extremely... sanitary. I can deal with Weird Anime Eyes if the other stuff clicks right, but the Scrapyard being a giant shitheap is basically the entire driving force behind the first several story arcs because everyone wants to get the hell out of it, one way or another.

Not thrilled with starting back at the very beginning with what is arguably the least interesting part of Alita's story, especially since (in the original run at least) each arc is fairly self-contained and could sit pretty well on its own. That's a relatively minor quibble, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheMopeSquad posted:

I'm just so shocked this movie is actually going to be made that I don't even give a gently caress about how weird she looks, everything besides that looks pretty great. It definitely looks better than most live action anime adaptations.

One thing is I am disappointed that they're covering THIS story again and there will probably never be a sequel so no motorball, no jashugan, no zapan, no tuned, no barjack, no mf'in DESTY NOVA, and so forth. Such a giant waste of potential :(

Zapan is confirmed (I'm pretty sure that's him in the trailer with the Doc Ock arm?), Motorball is more or less confirmed, and Jackie Earle Haley is playing a conspicuously unnamed character in the cast list who's probably Desty Nova.

Rejoice.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Zapan is confirmed (I'm pretty sure that's him in the trailer with the Doc Ock arm?), Motorball is more or less confirmed, and Jackie Earle Haley is playing a conspicuously unnamed character in the cast list who's probably Desty Nova.

Rejoice.

I'm pretty sure Zapan is the guy she is grabbing by the throat and shoving into the table. He is missing his face symbol but at the same time Ido is to so maybe they just did away with it.

Edit: Now I think about I doubt they could even use Zapan's forehead symbol, as its literally the hook and cross from the Blue Oyster Cult.

Grewcica is the one with the Doc Ock arm. It pretty much ripped straight out of the anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwgC_HjG1d8

Tormented fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 9, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wish Cameron wanted to make 6 of these movies instead, they'd be infinitely better than more loving awful Avatars

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, because James Cameron is putting up the funding for this, as long as it doesn't utterly poo poo the bed at the box office we'll probably see at least one sequel. Dude is gently caress-you rich, and this is his goddamn baby (to the point where I'd be surprised if Cameron didn't ghost-direct some of the movie).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The big eyes will be to Alita what whitewashing was to Ghost in the Shell.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Evidence of Hollywood's cynical, systematic racism?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

wow what an epic fail

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I know nothing about Battle Angel Alita (in the 90s anime to me was Digimon and whatever adult movie I could watch sneakily on Sci-Fi) but the trailer managed to get me interested so hey, great job

e: I mean, I also discovered Valerian cuz of the movie but that didn't stop it from being a flop so v:geno:v

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 9, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Big Eye lover here.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm actually coming around on the eyes a bit. However: Rodriguez. Also however: James Cameron sucks.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s cool to have witnessed the dawning of the forced Eyes meme, that will dominate all discussion of eyes and/or cartoons until long after we are all dead.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
The trailer set the mood really well, but yeah uncanney valley doesn't do the eyes justice. It'll take some time getting used to.

I just hope the movie executes a good story for once. I know Cameron has had a passion for this project for a long long time, I don't want to see another potentially great bridge builder of a movie gently caress up.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

TheMopeSquad posted:

Also better than the actual Alita anime

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Since the trailer seems to have picked up a lot of negative responses it's worth examining to see what it actually presents. Some have noted disappointment it doesn't emphasize stylish Robot on Robot violence or much of the setting--a few shots of a genericized "trashworld" landscape are all.

The trailer has at least a double-layer of irony or dissonance: the funereal tune and imagery (via flashback, we see Alita as a dismembered head on a scrapheap moments after her "birth"(?)), contrast benedictive lyrics (may your dreams/the light blahblahblah) and Christoph Waltz's attempts at fatherly reassurance ("you can do whatever you want with your body," "you are special.") Rather than Alita being presented as a superhero (I don't know if that's how it is in the source material, I'm not familiar w/it) she's hyper-vulnerable---"the strong prey on the weak." Immediately after taking that brutish dude by surprise we see her jumping down in escape; we see her slim white figure running through a whirlwind of slashing steel whips.

The dissonance or joke is we're uncertain if we even should empathize with Alita, cuz like, look at her, she's like some creepy-rear end ventriloquist dummy bug-girl. Like, she is less empathizable than the Prawns from District 9, straight up. When we see the abject--simultaneously repulsive and vulnerable---it triggers a strong negative reaction. So the trailer is sending you all these "girl in danger" signposts and also asking "but should you even feel empathy or is it the trick of an advanced humanlike [chat]bot???"

e: And straight up I'm a big fan of stuff like Takashi Murakami and Superflat! artwork which uses grossly exaggerated "kawaii" imagery to make a lot of uncomfortable/nightmare-like creatures and scenarios, some of the best anime is stuff by Satoshi Kon like Paranoia Agent which takes this sort of "thin edge between cute and horrific," "what are we actually idealizing with these moeblobs," etc kinda stuff and runs with it; the character referenced in my UN is a villain who's literally designed to push "ugly cute" to the max, I love uncomfortable and twisted things so I'm all about this kinda thing already.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 9, 2017

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Clipperton posted:

Also better than the actual Alita anime

True, I never really liked the OVA.

As per all the stuff that will be in the movie, motorball, zapan, desty nova, while that is welcome at the same time trying to fit too much into one film usually makes it worse.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The trailer has at least a double-layer of irony or dissonance: the funereal tune and imagery (via flashback, we see Alita as a dismembered head on a scrapheap moments after her "birth"(?)), contrast benedictive lyrics (may your dreams/the light blahblahblah) and Christoph Waltz's attempts at fatherly reassurance ("you can do whatever you want with your body," "you are special.") Rather than Alita being presented as a superhero (I don't know if that's how it is in the source material, I'm not familiar w/it) she's hyper-vulnerable---"the strong prey on the weak."

I've been super negative about this trailer for all of the reasons you mention but this actually does come up in the comics. Dyson Ido (Waltz's character) at first wants her to just be this like unchanging perfect sheltered daughter. The initial legs/arms he makes for her are even this super ornate gilded sort of decorative style that causes her to get physically destroyed the first time or two she gets into a violent altercation.

At the same time, while the comic does have a lot of that stuff going on in it, it's still a stylish action story first and foremost, and it will be a shame if the setting is not well executed as it seems in the trailer* since the hosed up nature of the setting plays such a huge part in what makes the characters work. Alita doesn't stand out quite as much in the comics because of it. I guess the closest live action equivalent to the comics would be something along the lines of like Hardware or Elysium especially.

On a more hopeful note, in the comics Ido is a generous cyber-doctor exiled from the rich folks city above the scrapyard who moonlights as a bounty hunter. In the comics he and the few other characters in that occupation even have that "imperial conditioning" mark on their forehead like the doctors in Dune and his being stuck on earth is a big deal. It's a cool character that has to alternately keep up a professional/kind/ruthless appearance publicly while navigating through various social classes. Christopher Waltz owns so I hope we get to see him doing some of the basic investigative and asskicking work throughout those spaces like the character does in the comics.

*I will take all of this back if the movie somehow includes the way one of the stories inexplicably opens with her in a band performing a solo on a keytar for like three pages.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Might've been good if Cameron had been directing but this trailer does not inspire confidence. Some of the shots are seriously goofy.

Oh, it's the Spy Kids director. Okay.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Milky Moor posted:

Might've been good if Cameron had been directing but this trailer does not inspire confidence. Some of the shots are seriously goofy.

Oh, it's the Spy Kids director. Okay.

Rodriguez is allright if he actually cares enough about something to make an effort. Would've preferred someone like del Toro to make this but hey, can't have them all.

Fact is Cameron did pick Rodriguez for this job after he helped Cameron condense his screenplay. This movie could work with so many big names and acting talent attatched.

I'll be optimistic, as there's no way Alitas character design was an accident. They want her looking weird, it can totally work if they push the whole pseudohuman angle in a way that GITS couldn't.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

You haven't read the comic, I take it? This isn't bad for blind analysis but a lot of what you're saying here would get turned on its head once you saw it in context.

Particularly (spoilers for, like, the first few pages of chapter 1) Alita's shattered body in the junkheap is how Ido finds her, not foreshadowing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 10, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

porfiria posted:

Evidence of Hollywood's cynical, systematic racism?

I think Lampy might have meant that it's an aspect of the movie that unexpectedly hijacks discussions about it to such a huge degree that it comes to define the general public's perceptions of the film and pretty much kills any momentum the promotional campaign may have had. The trailer is pretty 'meh' and as far as most people would be concerned the only notable thing about it is people's reactions to the freaky big eyes, the same way that the only notable thing about Ghost In The Shell for the general public was that it sparked off a whole bunch of articles about Hollywood 'whitewashing' (even if they didn't bother reading any of those articles).

Cyborgs/androids trying to figure out their identity issues in a lovely run down futuristic/post-apocalyptic world is a fairly well trodden genre. People who are already familiar with Battle Angel Alita will be looking forwards to this movie but the trailer needed to work a little harder to pull everyone else in.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cyborgs/androids trying to figure out their identity issues in a lovely run down futuristic/post-apocalyptic world is a fairly well trodden genre. People who are already familiar with Battle Angel Alita will be looking forwards to this movie but the trailer needed to work a little harder to pull everyone else in.
It is unfortunate because Battle Angel is so old it came first in most regards yet by the time they finally made this movie the tropes are now "well trodden". I'm wondering how many people will say Battle Angel is a rip off of Elysium, for instance, and Ghost in the Shell since Alita is also an amnesiac cyborg. If only it could have been made a few years earlier but they had to wait because the movie absolutely needed to wait for the technology so we could have a bug eyed CGI protagonist :jerkbag:

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I haven't read the manga but I quite enjoyed the OVA for what it was, and I really loved the setting. The backgrounds in the trailer all look way too clean and nice, I want my cyberpunk hellworld back.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed the OVA when I saw it but never read the manga, and the trailer does look a little too clean and tidy which normally wouldn't matter but the setting is an important part of character motivations. It's a shame they couldn't make it look like the horrible shithole it's supposed to be but perhaps they didn't want too many people comparing the film to Elysium, which I suspect will end up happening regardless.

There's a lot of recognizable scenes in the trailer but I'm wondering if some of the more disturbing content will be changed/removed, or if they're going to go all-in with this? There's some really dark and gruesome stuff in the OVA and I think Rodriguez could do a great job of bringing all of that to life (Sin City being a great example of this) but I'm not sure how Cameron wants to tackle the story.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Big Eye lover here.

Same and I don't believe that ppl talking poo poo about them will cause the movie to be unsuccessful due 2 the "Lucy Principle"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Same and I don't believe that ppl talking poo poo about them will cause the movie to be unsuccessful due 2 the "Lucy Principle"

What's the Lucy Principle?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's the Lucy Principle?

V scientific: Before Lucy came out a lot of ppl (including on these forums) ignored
content of the trailers 2 talk constantly about how the 10% brain thing was a myth & stupid premise. Dominated the convo around the movie to the degree that even now Wiki has 10% myth as a connected article & some1 wrote in its summary, "Although praise was given for its themes, visuals, and Johansson's performance, a number of critics found the plot nonsensical, especially its focus on the ten percent of the brain myth and resulting abilities."
Yet Lucy ruled & made a ton of money so the brain thing meant nothing in terms of the 💵💎💵 of the movie
:science: QED : the eyes are good

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. It'll be unsuccessful because it's directed by Robert Rodriguez.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If there's one director who I trust to use CGI to make a unique aesthetic that will stand the test of time it's the guy who made Sin City and Spy Kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the eyes look terrible what are you people smoking lol

its really a shame all people will talk about is the big huge obvious flaw

• Locked thread