Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
IMDb Trivia: the EYES are bbig. Don’t look as normal EYEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

IMDb Trivia: the EYES are bbig. Don’t look as normal EYEs.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I might be stockholmed from anticipating this movie for a decade but the eyes don't bother me too much. I think it'll get better over the course of the movie anyway -- they're incredibly jarring at first glance but an hour in and I don't think they'll be as bothersome once the brain has adjusted a little.

I'm not sure of the intentions, though. In the manga she doesn't stand out as physically distinct in any real way besides that she's smaller than most everyone. Like half the population of the scrapyard is a full conversion borg of some kind or another already. It must be to emphasize her supposed vulnerability and contrast cuteness with the fact that she turns out to be a murder machine but it's hard to say that it's successful in that if people's first reaction is :barf:

Hope the next trailer shows off a bit more action. Wonder about the motorball inclusion. I think it might work well as something in the background that she doesn't actively participate in -- laying ground for a sequel or something. Trying to squeeze in it and Hugo in the same arc is a little much.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Look at all these anime fans in here repulsed by anime eyes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Farm Frenzy posted:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. It'll be unsuccessful because it's directed by Robert Rodriguez.

It doesn't have the typical RoRo stink on it, seemingly. This seems more like work-for-hire.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NmareBfly posted:

I might be stockholmed from anticipating this movie for a decade but the eyes don't bother me too much.

On the flipside of this everyone who was working on the film has probably been staring at those eyes for every hour of the working day for a very long time so they've probably been 100% acclimatized to them for quite a few months, I wonder if they had any idea that the general public's reaction to them would be so bad or whether they were completely blindsided by all this.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I've only read the manga, so I thought that was Makkaku before he tears her body apart, before she gets the zerker body.

So we got Ido, Zapan, Hugo, and I'm assuming Makkaku, Kansas, and Tiphares. It looks pretty truthful to the manga from that little bit. I just seriously hope they don't try to cram to much in to this. I didn't enjoy the motorball arc much at all. Hopefully it's pretty neat on film. Although, Jashugan was pretty important to her as a character.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the flipside of this everyone who was working on the film has probably been staring at those eyes for every hour of the working day for a very long time so they've probably been 100% acclimatized to them for quite a few months, I wonder if they had any idea that the general public's reaction to them would be so bad or whether they were completely blindsided by all this.

My guess is blindsided. You never know what trivial thing people will get hung up on.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Is it a problem for the general public though? As opposed to a few clickbait pop culture sites, twitter randos and desultory memesters? By way of experiment I showed the thing to my wife, who has zero interest in any of this nerd poo poo. I told her that people were having a strong reaction to part of the trailer, but not which part, and she watched it all the way to the end without guessing that it was the eyes at all.

Don't get me wrong, she still didn't have much interest in actually seeing the movie, and I don't really expect it to do well, but I'm not sure the eyes are a dealbreaker to anyone outside the extremely online dogpile.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

No lie, Battle Angel was the first anime I ever saw. I found a VHS copy of it at my local Blockbuster video and it blew my little mind. I had never seen the medium of animation used to tell a story like that and when I learned that the guy behind Aliens was looking to adapt it to the big screen I was like Hell Yeah!

I got a rush of Middle school nostalgia from seeing that trailer but I am concerned that it might flop. Between GitS and the new Blade Runner flopping it seems like folks just don't have an appetite for cyberpunk at the moment and the teenager in me really wants this to succeed. Christoph Waltz gives me hope that it'll at least be decent.

I want to believe. :ohdear:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Could this be an attempt to sidestep the whitewashing drama of Ghost in the Shell?

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
i don't know what's funnier, everyone losing their poo poo over the big eyes or the idea of some film executives in a smoky room deciding to spend millions of dollars to embiggen the lead's eyes rather than cast an asian woman

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Nah? GiTS got it bad because it's set in Tokyo (or Hong Kong.) The manga doesn't get into where it actually is early on so maybe this is a spoiler? But the Scrapyard is explicitly on top of a post-apocalyptic Kansas city -- there's a reason that's the name of the bar.

And that's not even getting into Alita's actual origins which were finally just explained in the most recent issues and it's uh :stare::stonk::stare:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 11, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

married but discreet posted:

Could this be an attempt to sidestep the whitewashing drama of Ghost in the Shell?

I mean, in this case you'd be talking about "whitewashing" a character who lives in a post-national ghetto, is a robot, was born on Mars and whose ethnicity isn't really defined beyond the fact that she's light-skinned and all of her martial arts moves are named in German.

NmareBfly posted:

And that's not even getting into Alita's actual origins which were finally just explained in the most recent issues and it's uh :stare::stonk::stare:

plus evidently some other stuff I'm not privy to on account of being behind on my reading lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MajorB posted:

i don't know what's funnier, everyone losing their poo poo over the big eyes or the idea of some film executives in a smoky room deciding to spend millions of dollars to embiggen the lead's eyes rather than cast an asian woman

Is Alita Asian?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Her real name is Yoko Dornburg, so half Asian at the most.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

i don't know being totally unfamiliar with the source material, i was remarking more about the internet theorycrafting

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

Can you spoil it? The Mars sequel went so badly off the rails I was too dispirited to keep reading. Last Order was enough of a disappointment as it was, after the perfection of the original

e: nvm, just looked it up in the wiki and i wish i hadn't. christ

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 11, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

married but discreet posted:

i dunno how well whitewashing works with a brown person

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Clipperton posted:

Can you spoil it? The Mars sequel went so badly off the rails I was too dispirited to keep reading. Last Order was enough of a disappointment as it was, after the perfection of the original

e: nvm, just looked it up in the wiki and i wish i hadn't. christ

I haven't read the manga past the original series. Judging from what I've heard I got off the bus at a good point.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Macrame_God posted:

I haven't read the manga past the original series. Judging from what I've heard I got off the bus at a good point.

You absolutely did. I may have had a bit of a cry at the end of the original, by the end of Last Order I was just relieved it was over

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

While it dragged in places, the world building in Last Order made Alita's setting even more interesting and hosed up.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tekne posted:

While it dragged in places, the world building in Last Order made Alita's setting even more interesting and hosed up.

Yeah it had its moments (and the original's ending is a bit abrupt and expanding it was a good idea). But the whole thing could have been told in a third of the time (seriously, the battle between the Venusians and the Super Electromagnetic Karate guys went on forever and had nothing to do with the story), and it fell into a bunch of cliche manga pitfalls that the original so neatly avoided (eg terrible sex comedy). And imo the emotional impact of the original's finale was totally lost in Last Order.

Now apparently Kishiro's abandoned any interest in plot or character and just wants to draw weird skin diseases all the time

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Last Order goes down a lot smoother if you binge-read it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

She's Asian American. The comic itself takes place smack in the middle of Kansas. Like Ghost in the Shell the setting's geo-political situation is completely different from the world today but unlike Ghost in the Shell it's a pretty diverse cast of characters in the comics.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

banned from Starbucks posted:

What the hell is this goofy poo poo. This is what cameron has been waiting years to make?

You had to know this would be bad no matter how long it took to come out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In the Ghost In The Shell thread, people got caught up in very intense debate over Motoko’s race in the 1995 cartoon. Like, just shy of ordering blood tests and classifying her skull shape. Is Motoko Japanese? Chinese? Caucasian?

The truth there is the same as here: these characters are, racially, ‘anime’. They are hyperreal characters, copies without an original.

And this means they are more alien to our world than the ‘Toons’ in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. They are literally the embodiment of anime - which was never meant to be embodied. Anime is unremarkable and generic by design, while animes in live-action are alien. Alita in this adaptation looks exactly like one of those fuckin Hybrid Greys or Nordics from UFO conspiracy theories.

The Ghost In The Shell remake drew controversy not because of “whitewashing Asian characters”, although that’s what silly people believed, but because its white protagonist successfully captured the genericism of anime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They were supposed to make the lips big. The lips

I suspect they're gonna cut out Makaku, or have him be like a brief appearance to introduce Ido's poo poo. Maybe they'll give his weird hosed-up maneuvers to Zapan.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's not the CGI, but the clash of styles that bothers me.

When the main character is bbig eye because they want to evoke anime or whatever, wouldn't it look better if all the characters had the same CGI treatment?

They're Roger Rabbit-ing when they could've been Scanner Darkly-ing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Man, maybe we can stop making a grown rear end adult woman look like a child or some poo poo, I dunno.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In the manga thread someone posted that she looks just like early versions of Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite:

Mordja posted:

That's it! *snaps fingers* She looks like the original, E3-reveal Elizbeth Comstock from Bioshock.

I'd agree!! Elizabeth was fixed in the actual release of the game, but her early versions gave me the same creeped out feeling as Alita does in this one.

EDIT:

Ohhh my goooooddd. Someone on Reddit did an image edit:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 11, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Man, maybe we can stop making a grown rear end adult woman look like a child or some poo poo, I dunno.

Then it would miss the point of Gunnm/Battle Angel. Especially this part of the series.

Seriously, her huge eyes and childlike appearance are a ridiculously large part of the plot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Whether or not they tweak the eyes a bit more, I just like that the overall look of the film and tone (from the trailer) doesn't really feel like typical RR. Although I kinda had the same impression when the first trailer for MoS came out; I thought that the look and tone didn't really feel like typical Snyder, as if he were stepping up his game since he revered the source material so much. Think the same can be said here. When it was announced RR was going to direct Alita, I was super apprehensive. But now, I feel like he's trying to make the film in the way Cameron would have, but in his own way too of course, and that's cool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And this means they are more alien to our world than the ‘Toons’ in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. They are literally the embodiment of anime - which was never meant to be embodied. Anime is unremarkable and generic by design, while animes in live-action are alien. Alita in this adaptation looks exactly like one of those fuckin Hybrid Greys or Nordics from UFO conspiracy theories.

The idea that some Japanese guy would design his anime cyborg to be ethnically "Asian" is pretty laughable to begin with.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Donnerberg posted:

It's not the CGI, but the clash of styles that bothers me.

When the main character is bbig eye because they want to evoke anime or whatever, wouldn't it look better if all the characters had the same CGI treatment?

They're Roger Rabbit-ing when they could've been Scanner Darkly-ing.

At this point we've only seen two of the cyborgs' faces (Alita and Zapan) plus a blink-and-you'll-miss-it long shot of Makaku (or possibly Kinuba). If it's anything like the manga, pretty much everyone else we'll see will be some kind of cyborg -- I hope so, the sheer variety of cyborg designs is a big part of what makes Kishiro's art so great.

My favourite is probably this little vacuum cleaner dude:

Maybe a lot of them will have their faces tweaked, which would be cool. That presumably costs $$ though so who knows.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

She's Asian American.

The Asian part is sorta debatable I guess but the second part is nowhere near close. Genetically and ethnically her origin is questionable at best. Basic origin spoiler she's from Mars, which is colonised by humans but to get more specific than that about her genealogy I say ask in the ADTRW thread if you really want to know but be warned that it may not warrant closer examination. In regular media terms, her origin would not be revealed in the original movie trilogy or the follow up multiple season long TV show but the prequel novels published after that so it's not something that will ever actually come up.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Clipperton posted:

At this point we've only seen two of the cyborgs' faces (Alita and Zapan) plus a blink-and-you'll-miss-it long shot of Makaku (or possibly Kinuba). If it's anything like the manga, pretty much everyone else we'll see will be some kind of cyborg -- I hope so, the sheer variety of cyborg designs is a big part of what makes Kishiro's art so great.

Pretty sure its a Grewcica from the OVA, which is an amalgamation of the Makaku and Kinuba characters from the manga. Looks like the pretty much are going with the OVA version due to Chiren (Jennifer Connelly's character) being around and she was created for the OVA.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tormented posted:

Looks like the pretty much are going with the OVA version

ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Zapan doesnt have the blue oyster cult logo on his forehead so gently caress this movie

• Locked thread