Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Zapan doesnt have the blue oyster cult logo on his forehead so gently caress this movie

his leitmotif is a cowbell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

She's Asian American.

Actually, she's Martian-American. :science:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I always figured Mars was culturally German what with them using so many German words.

Asides from her eyes, which I find really disappointing, I think her early decorated arms look gorgeous in the trailer. I really do hope it ends up being violent and the scrapyard is suitably messy and dangerous.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, she's Martian-American. :science:

And that the mixed language from people coming from there, is a fusion of German and English which implies a huge number of colonists coming from German speaking cultures! :science:

This is set around 320 years in the future after a post-apocalyptic event happens in 2011 so nation-states and ethnicity have been pretty much washed away.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. It'll be unsuccessful because it's directed by Robert Rodriguez.

I'm pretty sure Desperado and Sin City made money.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
It's cool that Trump fulfilled his campaign promise to make anime real

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Machete was at least popular enough to get a completely trash sequel v:geno:v

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Battle Angel Alita is one of the first manga series I ever read and I'm tentatively hopeful for this movie since it's been a passion project for Cameron for so long. My only worry is that they're seemingly going with a mixture of the OVA and the first couple of books of the manga over sticking to the manga itself.

I just hope it's good so it can get a sequel. My dream casting choice for Desty Nova is still Matt Frewer but I'd be happy just to see him in cinematic form.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Whoa, well weirdness of big eyes or no, the biggest take-away that I have from watching the trailer is finding out that a person I went to school with is now starring in a movie by Robert Rodriguez and playing a robotlady that punches other robots in the face

I like cyberpunk anyway, so I guess I'll see this movie

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Seems like everyone who though the eyes were the result of any kind of thought progress besides 'let's make a photo realistic anime' gave Rodriguez too much credit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWgy6gAK9OA

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Renoistic posted:

Seems like everyone who though the eyes were the result of any kind of thought progress besides 'let's make a photo realistic anime' gave Rodriguez too much credit.

Did you watch the interview?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vanderdeath posted:

Battle Angel Alita is one of the first manga series I ever read and I'm tentatively hopeful for this movie since it's been a passion project for Cameron for so long. My only worry is that they're seemingly going with a mixture of the OVA and the first couple of books of the manga over sticking to the manga itself.

I just hope it's good so it can get a sequel. My dream casting choice for Desty Nova is still Matt Frewer but I'd be happy just to see him in cinematic form.

I'm pretty sure we're getting Jackie Earle Haley as Desty Nova, which is a loving incredible choice.

Also, the eyes were Cameron's idea and I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Rodriguez actually pushed back a little. Cameron's been talking about having Alita be an all-CGI character since he first brought up wanting to make this.

Also it's totally loving bonkers that we're getting a live-action Battle Angel Alita movie next year and that is pure proof that we live in the weirdest timeline

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Cameron makes an anime. Spielberg makes a meme movie. 2018 gonna be alright.

And the people that made the Minions movies are doing a new Super Mario Bros.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 12, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Renoistic posted:

That’s a very silly post.

All those art critics are talking about Monet this and Monet that, but I know his secret: Monet just wanted to paint haystacks in an impressionist style. What an idiot!

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm pretty sure we're getting Jackie Earle Haley as Desty Nova, which is a loving incredible choice.

Also, the eyes were Cameron's idea and I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Rodriguez actually pushed back a little. Cameron's been talking about having Alita be an all-CGI character since he first brought up wanting to make this.

Also it's totally loving bonkers that we're getting a live-action Battle Angel Alita movie next year and that is pure proof that we live in the weirdest timeline

Cameron initially wanted her to be protrayed by a child actor too if i remember correctly. Good luck casting that.

Eitherway, I'm glad it's out that Cameron was behind the character design in addition to the screenplay/script. As lame a reason as it may be, it does make people chill a bit with jumping to conclusions about Rodriguez's creative input.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Renoistic posted:

Watch the interview again lol. This actually gave me a bit of optimism, surprisingly.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Cameron initially wanted her to be protrayed by a child actor too if i remember correctly. Good luck casting that.

Eitherway, I'm glad it's out that Cameron was behind the character design in addition to the screenplay/script. As lame a reason as it may be, it does make people chill a bit with jumping to conclusions about Rodriguez's creative input.

Judging from what little I've seen I'm guessing RR didn't get to have a lot of creative say in the film. So far it looks more like a James Cameron film and Robert Rodriguez is just the guy who is in the directors chair. I'm thinking the major reason he was selected to direct is because he has plenty of experience directing CGI heavy films.

What I want to know is how violent the film will be. I remember the manga being straight up blood and guts violent. Hell, they have a villain who's addicting to literally eating brains. It's kinda hosed up at a number of points. I'm wondering if they're going to tone it down to make it more palatable to a larger audience but I'm hoping they're going the Deadpool route on this one. Toning down the violence isn't a deal breaker, but it doesn't feel like Battle Angel unless someone gets their head ripped off and it's not like Cameron hasn't been able to make a commercially successful R rated film before.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The eyes are kind of neat, but they remind me of this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

This is what I was feeling after watching the trailer a handful of times, and mentioned it earlier. The movie doesn't really give feel or look like an RR film, at least not like one of his more recent ones. Reiterating, but yeah, Landau basically confirmed what I was thinking: RR is essentially trying to make the movie James Cameron would have.

Macrame_God posted:

I'm thinking the major reason he was selected to direct is because he has plenty of experience directing CGI heavy films.

RR and James Cameron were also part of an initiative for pushing new 3D filming techniques for digital cinema back in 2005, along with Zemeckis and Peter Jackson [edit] and George Lucas. So the two have some history together as well. [edit] Internet Archive of Variety's article from 2005 https://web.archive.org/web/20140401032807/http://variety.com/2005/film/news/3-d-shows-perspective-1117919744/

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 13, 2017

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Macrame_God posted:

Judging from what little I've seen I'm guessing RR didn't get to have a lot of creative say in the film. So far it looks more like a James Cameron film and Robert Rodriguez is just the guy who is in the directors chair. I'm thinking the major reason he was selected to direct is because he has plenty of experience directing CGI heavy films.

What I want to know is how violent the film will be. I remember the manga being straight up blood and guts violent. Hell, they have a villain who's addicting to literally eating brains. It's kinda hosed up at a number of points. I'm wondering if they're going to tone it down to make it more palatable to a larger audience but I'm hoping they're going the Deadpool route on this one. Toning down the violence isn't a deal breaker, but it doesn't feel like Battle Angel unless someone gets their head ripped off and it's not like Cameron hasn't been able to make a commercially successful R rated film before.

Yeah, the OVA and the manga were pretty violent and didn't shy away from sex. I think one of the aspects the source material has is some crazy body horror regarding how humans are just meat bags, especially if they do the reveal that Tipharian brains are taken out and replaced with computer chips.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cameron has been saying Battle Angel would always be a PG-13 film for a while. There will be lots of blood, but the blood will be blue.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

Watch the interview again lol. This actually gave me a bit of optimism, surprisingly.

Confusing 'straightforward' with 'thoughtless' is really interesting. He clearly explains why Cameron made the choice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is worse than I could've ever imagined.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

teagone posted:

Cameron has been saying Battle Angel would always be a PG-13 film for a while. There will be lots of blood, but the blood will be blue.

Why would your years long ambition be to do something wrong.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

This is worse than I could've ever imagined.

look at it this way: even if it's a writeoff, it's partly responsible for the manga coming back in print which is an unambiguous win. i just picked up volume 1 today and it's gorgeous

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Speaking of the manga coming back into print, I just picked up that first volume this week based on the trailer and my SO's suggestion (knowing nothing about the series previously), it hooked me instantly and now I care about this movie.

I am neutral on the eyes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, the OVA and the manga were pretty violent and didn't shy away from sex. I think one of the aspects the source material has is some crazy body horror regarding how humans are just meat bags, especially if they do the reveal that Tipharian brains are taken out and replaced with computer chips.

I can't wait until we get to see Anamoly on the big screen in all his glory and in 3d.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I can't wait until we get to see Anamoly on the big screen in all his glory and in 3d.

omg

As much as I don't enjoy that arc, THIS would be amazing. I'm down watching someone get death hosed by a giant dong.

Last Order gets to far in to DBZ territory for my tastes (DBZ is cool, relax). Also, if the movies ever get that far, maybe they can get rid of that loving cat tail she gets. The ONLY time I've groaned reading a manga and I've read a lot of (known it too!) ridiculous poo poo.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 14, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Why would your years long ambition be to do something wrong.

:shrug: It was confirmed the blood would be blue back in 2005 http://moviehole.net/20055923james-cameron-talks-up-battle-angel

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet posted:

Speaking of the manga coming back into print, I just picked up that first volume this week based on the trailer and my SO's suggestion (knowing nothing about the series previously), it hooked me instantly and now I care about this movie.

Stick with it, the Hugo arc is probably the original series's low point (relatively speaking) and it just gets better from there.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Last Order gets to far in to DBZ territory for my tastes (DBZ is cool, relax). Also, if the movies ever get that far, maybe they can get rid of that loving cat tail she gets. The ONLY time I've groaned reading a manga and I've read a lot of (known it too!) ridiculous poo poo.

My problem with Last Order is that I thought the ending to the original manga was pretty much perfect, and the revised Last Order ending wasn't nearly as good. And apparently Last Order is going to be included in the Kodansha reprint, which means they probably won't include the original ending :mad:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Clipperton posted:

My problem with Last Order is that I thought the ending to the original manga was pretty much perfect, and the revised Last Order ending wasn't nearly as good. And apparently Last Order is going to be included in the Kodansha reprint, which means they probably won't include the original ending :mad:

They're reprinting Last Order as a separate series- the omnibus editions of Last Order are already partially out. I'd be really surprised if the Deluxe Editions didn't cover the whole original run.

e: also the DBZ poo poo about Last Order is what makes Last Order totally fuckin' rule, it has cyberpunk vampires who do Vampire Karate for gently caress's sake

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Parasol Prophet posted:

Keep reading, it's very good.

Personally I'm hoping for a best case outcome from all this is that it gets a lot of people to check out the manga, and renewed interest gets someone to make a quality anime. If Jojo could finally get a good anime in my life time, Alita can too.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Clipperton posted:

Stick with it, the Hugo arc is probably the original series's low point (relatively speaking) and it just gets better from there.

Oh, I'm sticking with it for sure. The only problem is the next volume of this deluxe whatever edition apparently won't come out until February! But there's plenty to absorb in what I've got, I think. The art is so detailed and all the backgrounds... :allears:

Hugo is the same as Yugo, right? That seemed to be the case from context clues in this thread and elsewhere, but I wasn't sure. But if that's the low point, I really can't wait to keep reading.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
The ending of last order was kind of bad and the tone was completely different from the original, but space kung fu tournament was awesome. Also, a bunch of cool Desty Nova mad scientist poo poo.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

the culminator posted:

The ending of last order was kind of bad and the tone was completely different from the original, but space kung fu tournament was awesome. Also, a bunch of cool Desty Nova mad scientist poo poo.

If it weren't for the fact, tonally, I expected more Alita type stuff of the original I would have enjoyed Last Order. But space kung fu was not something I wanted at the time nor was expecting.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh, I'm sticking with it for sure. The only problem is the next volume of this deluxe whatever edition apparently won't come out until February! But there's plenty to absorb in what I've got, I think. The art is so detailed and all the backgrounds... :allears:

Yeah I'd only ever read it in the pocket-sized Viz paperbacks and seeing the art in its proper size is great. And Kishiro hasn't even hit his stride at this point, you're in for a treat :D

quote:

Hugo is the same as Yugo, right? That seemed to be the case from context clues in this thread and elsewhere, but I wasn't sure. But if that's the low point, I really can't wait to keep reading.

*checks book* Yes it is! I wonder how many different names they've given things, I'm probably never going to stop thinking of Zalem as "Tiphares"

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Vanderdeath posted:

Battle Angel Alita is one of the first manga series I ever read and I'm tentatively hopeful for this movie since it's been a passion project for Cameron for so long.
Yeah, it's one great tragic story about longing for unreachable goals and another about really intense racing-action. I chose to forget the rest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just re-read all of Gunnm (sorry, I'm french canadian and the french canadian translation kept all the names) and finally finished Last Order, as well as starting Mars Chronicles because of the trailer. I think I loved it a lot more than when I first read it ten year ago and gave up midway through Last Order.

I'm hype for the movie now. Good adaptation or bad adaptation, it's probably gonna be interesting.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tommy 2.0 posted:

omg

As much as I don't enjoy that arc, THIS would be amazing. I'm down watching someone get death hosed by a giant dong.

Of course you're excited about the Anomaly :dong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was listening to all kinds of 70s and 80s weird rock and metal bands while reading, including lots of Blue Oyster Cult of course, and I feel like that would make a good soundtrack for the movie. Go for the whole Heavy Metal vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oe8j-ElikI

• Locked thread