Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I just finished Last Order. I have no clue how I feel about that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This might outrank Mars Needs Moms as the uncanniest poo poo ever made.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I saw the trailer for this before Star Wars with no prior knowledge and it made me physically ill.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Vakal posted:

The eyes are kind of neat, but they remind me of this.

Which in turn reminded me of Splice.

Alita will stand side by side with some good horror flicks.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

This might outrank Mars Needs Moms as the uncanniest poo poo ever made.

General Dog posted:

I saw the trailer for this before Star Wars with no prior knowledge and it made me physically ill.

bunch of big babies itt

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

robert rodriguez and james cameron both haven't made anything good since like the 90s, its not surprising this would seem as plonky and ugly as it does

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I don't know, Robert Rodriguez seems like the right person to adapt Gunnm.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Honestly if Rodriguez can keep his Grindhouse aesthetics I’d think the movie would be pretty cool.

Alas, the trailed doesn’t seem like it’s going that direction.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The CGI looks horrible, especially in scenes with real people. Big anime eyes just make it more apparent since the main characters main feature (the face) is mostly CGI.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zas posted:

robert rodriguez and james cameron both haven't made anything good since like the 90s, its not surprising this would seem as plonky and ugly as it does

Sin City was a pretty good adaptation. Dunno about 2, now.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Who's ready for the parade of thinkpieces/explainers talking about how anime eyes are evidence Japanese people are psychologically degenerate and racially self-hating/want to be white? We've got one already

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/3kpdew/alita-battle-angel-doesnt-understand-why-anime-characters-have-big-eyes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I kind of hate how the author here brags a lot about research but mistakenly acts like Japanese animation didn't exist before Tezuka. Like it's all written in terms of what US animation influenced.

Tezuka had a huge ego and eye for building that around himself, and is amazing on top of that, so I don't usually pay it much mind. But if someone is someone is going to promote their piece like it's the final word it's hard to miss.

Shoehead posted:

Sin City was a pretty good adaptation. Dunno about 2, now.

Outside of one or two specific scenes that were nicely shot it's absolutely horrible and somehow also looks ten times worse than the first one.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 17, 2017

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Who's ready for the parade of thinkpieces/explainers talking about how anime eyes are evidence Japanese people are psychologically degenerate and racially self-hating/want to be white? We've got one already

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/3kpdew/alita-battle-angel-doesnt-understand-why-anime-characters-have-big-eyes

Yeah that one's already had some flak:

https://twitter.com/matt_thorn_en/status/940495769282289664

Also (and once again I'm not specifically defending the Alita teaser here) has there ever been a trailer, let alone a teaser, with extensive CGI (particularly CGI interacting with real stuff) where the nerd reaction wasn't "ugh, that looks indistinguishable from Pong"?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Isn't it obvious that what distinguishes her from other cyborgs is that she's a waifu?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Clipperton posted:

Also (and once again I'm not specifically defending the Alita teaser here) has there ever been a trailer, let alone a teaser, with extensive CGI (particularly CGI interacting with real stuff) where the nerd reaction wasn't "ugh, that looks indistinguishable from Pong"?

It’s really weird when nerds start fronting like “it looks like a videogame - and I despise videogames.”

The best is when they complain that a given movie looks like a cinematic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s really weird when nerds start fronting like “it looks like a videogame - and I despise videogames.”

It has nothing to do with despising videogames, it has to do with the better qualities of videogames not translating to non-interactive media. I wouldn't want to watch a movie that was just a steady recording of the pages of a book being turned at someone else's pace, either.

Mind you I don't think the trailer looks game-like in the first place, so this is all in the abstract.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"looks like a videogame" is just shorthand for "it looks like it is using the simpler rendering techniques videogames use to manage real time rendering" as contrasted with the non-real time rendering techniques real movies use.

Like since they are both done on computers you should think "cars" the movie and "cars" the game would look identical and they could just share models and stuff. But no, cars the movie does a lot of it's fancy reflections and lighting and stuff with raytracing that takes hours and hours to render and is totally unsuitable for a game that needs 30+ frames every second built from scratch.

like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQX7SQ3dQ4

isn't this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuYOeFDuBmg

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, it's not necessarily that I don't like video games- I'm willing to cut them more slack on how they look because real-time rendering is loving hard. Video games are limited by the capabilities of the platform they're running on, which is why I'm insanely impressed when something like Kingdom Hearts 3 actually manages to come close to movie-quality graphics.

Movies, however, are limited essentially by how much time they have, how big of a render farm they're willing to rent out, and how talented the CGI artists are. If the best they can come up with looks like something a PS3 could render in real-time, that's... pretty bad.

e: with that said I am not speaking to Alita: Battle Angel specifically on this front. I think this movie looks goddamn awesome. However, I will happily say that stuff like Sharknado looks like a video game, because I'm pretty sure you could plonk the same models and animations into Unity and they wouldn't look remotely out of place in one of those lovely asset-flip games clogging Steam.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 18, 2017

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The eyes were definitely offputting at first but whatever to that. The real problem is how janky the rest of the CGI looks. Just look at the part where robo-man grabs her neck and she slams him into a desk. It looks absolutely awful and cartoony.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The action scenes will be hard to do right since Battle Angel cyborgs fight like MoS kryptonians. Alita could turn a corridor full of armed soldiers into something resembling a blender instantly.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 18, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kaedric posted:

The eyes were definitely offputting at first but whatever to that. The real problem is how janky the rest of the CGI looks. Just look at the part where robo-man grabs her neck and she slams him into a desk. It looks absolutely awful and cartoony.

It's sped up too much, unless the point is that she moves that fast.

The face slam reminds me of the first CGI movies where objects didn't obey the laws of physics correctly, and it resulted in uncanny valley. Like the car chase in Final Fantasy Spirits Within.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 18, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Kaedric posted:

That part looks great!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah the neck-slam is like my favorite part of the trailer. :shrug:

I've been thinking about it, and I honestly just don't care if something looks cartoony. I watch cartoons! If parts of it look distractingly out of place, that's different -- but when I'm sitting down to watch a movie where the main character is heavily CG'ed in, there's no real disconnect when they hit a fight scene. In plenty of modern action movies there's a point where they go to cartoon-mode and the actor is obviously replaced by a CGI putty man and that can be jarring. In a case where it's a CGI character already there's no discrepancy. I liked that her response to the grab is too fast to be human -- that's kinda the point.

Still, it's not something I'll be able to say for sure until I see the movie -- especially because CGI complaints from a trailer are often like complaining about video game performance from a beta.

Tekne posted:

The action scenes will be hard to do right since Battle Angel cyborgs fight like MoS kryptonians. Alita could turn a corridor full of armed soldiers into something resembling a blender instantly.

Have you read Last Order? There's a bit I kind of want to link.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, it's not necessarily that I don't like video games- I'm willing to cut them more slack on how they look because real-time rendering is loving hard. Video games are limited by the capabilities of the platform they're running on, which is why I'm insanely impressed when something like Kingdom Hearts 3 actually manages to come close to movie-quality graphics.

Movies, however, are limited essentially by how much time they have, how big of a render farm they're willing to rent out, and how talented the CGI artists are. If the best they can come up with looks like something a PS3 could render in real-time, that's... pretty bad.

Yeah, videogames can look nice with the right art direction, but no matter what you'll always be able to do more calculations in 2 seconds than you can in 1 second so something that doesn't need to create frames in real time will always be able to make much better visuals.

I think looking "videogamey" also means something with like movement and animation where videogames are limited to algorithmic or canned animation. Like there isn't a tiny director in the PS4 watching every kill shot you make and deciding how to make it look best or making you replay the scene a different way to change the variables or anything, it's all just a compromise of picking the standard animation and hope it looks okay in the situation or ragdolling and hope the physics make it look cool. Movie animation tends to look different than videogame animation in that way. Like CGI characters pick things up, video game people hold their arm outstretched and their elbow half bent and then objects glue to their palm. (because realistic hand animation is super complicated to automate)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah the neck-slam is like my favorite part of the trailer. :shrug:

I've been thinking about it, and I honestly just don't care if something looks cartoony. I watch cartoons! If parts of it look distractingly out of place, that's different -- but when I'm sitting down to watch a movie where the main character is heavily CG'ed in, there's no real disconnect when they hit a fight scene. In plenty of modern action movies there's a point where they go to cartoon-mode and the actor is obviously replaced by a CGI putty man and that can be jarring. In a case where it's a CGI character already there's no discrepancy. I liked that her response to the grab is too fast to be human -- that's kinda the point.

Still, it's not something I'll be able to say for sure until I see the movie -- especially because CGI complaints from a trailer are often like complaining about video game performance from a beta.

Have you read Last Order? There's a bit I kind of want to link.
I was actually referring to that. My hope is that the movie will show glimpses of Alita's past beyond her uncanny fighting ability and love for battle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That Mars flashback when she's fighting Jashugan would make such a killer movie moment if handled well.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

MonsieurChoc posted:

That Mars flashback when she's fighting Jashugan would make such a killer movie moment if handled well.

Well with Michelle Rodriguez casted as Gelda. Looks like you might be getting your wish.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I was actually hoping Michelle Rodriguez would be Alita, back when the movie was first announced.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tormented posted:

Well with Michelle Rodriguez casted as Gelda. Looks like you might be getting your wish.

:allears:

Edit: Although in the original flashback it wasn't Gelda but some weird dude, that's a change that makes sense to me.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 20, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Where the gently caress is the Berzerker Body?

Wanna see that thing 'moving as it was designed to move'.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Breetai posted:

Where the gently caress is the Berzerker Body?

Wanna see that thing 'moving as it was designed to move'.

I think we briefly see it in the clip where she's like "I'll give you my heart"

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Donnerberg posted:

It's sped up too much, unless the point is that she moves that fast.

The face slam reminds me of the first CGI movies where objects didn't obey the laws of physics correctly, and it resulted in uncanny valley. Like the car chase in Final Fantasy Spirits Within.

It's not the speed, I get that robo-lady would be faster than a hunam. It's that her body and posture look, I guess the word would be 'rubbery'. Like, she's doing a weird rear end pose that, to me, is highly reminiscent of something I'd see in The Incredibles.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kaedric posted:

It's not the speed, I get that robo-lady would be faster than a hunam. It's that her body and posture look, I guess the word would be 'rubbery'. Like, she's doing a weird rear end pose that, to me, is highly reminiscent of something I'd see in The Incredibles.

It could be an attempt to mimic the manga's sense of motion. The sense of speed and momentum you get from the manga panels has a LOT to do with how the artists contorts characters before, during, and after an attack. Alita, even in bodies that can pass for 'human woman in skin tight suit', moves in a distinctly inhuman fashion when a fight's on.

Cautiously hopeful about the movie. We will likely never see Alita get a whole franchise of movies, animated or live action, so all I wish for is that they at least nail down even a fraction of the 'feel' of the manga, if that makes sense. And if that somehow gets more people interested in the source material, so much the better. It's a very weird and and stylish and cool piece of work.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaedric posted:

It's not the speed, I get that robo-lady would be faster than a hunam.

And that's impressively quick because hunnams are very fast.
https://i.imgur.com/JIKLKmH.gifv

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gally...er...Alita is supersonic midway through the manga and is way supersonic in Last Order.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm actually a little surprised the movie's keeping her name as Alita, since it's very clearly taking inspiration from the OVA and the OVA actually used Gally

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
From the IMDB page if this is even remotely true:

quote:

The manga series is titled Battle Angel Alita but the movie is titled Alita: Battle Angel. In 2010, producer Jon Landau commented "I'm telling people that we have to call it Alita: Battle Angel, because Jim only does T&A movies,". Most of James Cameron's movie titles begin with A or T such as Titanic, Aliens, The Terminator, The Abyss, True Lies, and Avatar.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The eyes are whatever, it's a valid stylistic choice.

But Scrapyard apparently Iron City now, just seems all wrong.

This is the nightmare city in the perpetual shadow of a giant floating (hanging really) arcology? One where every day garbage and effluent and old machinery fall randomly on the people below? Where loverboy here is so desperate to escape that he's out stealing people's spinal cords at night?

A nice sunny day where a bunch of healthy looking people are out on dates and taking joyrides on motorcycles?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 25, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheMopeSquad posted:

From the IMDB page if this is even remotely true:

It's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Battle Angel Alita is one of my favorite mangas and this trailer... concerns me.

I saw the trailer at Star Wars and knew it had to be some kind of anime nonsense.

• Locked thread