Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Arglebargle III posted:

I saw the trailer at Star Wars and knew it had to be some kind of anime nonsense.

The OG manga is great, and the OVA based on the first two volumes is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
For reference, here's two establishing shots of what the Scrap Yard was like in the manga.

FLAMING BARRELS! DRUG USE! ONLY ORIGINAL GAMEBOYS FOR ENTERTAINMENT! JUGGLERS!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arglebargle III posted:

I saw the trailer at Star Wars and knew it had to be some kind of anime nonsense.

The original manga is loving beyond incredible and easily one of the best comics ever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TheMopeSquad posted:

From the IMDB page if this is even remotely true:

Well it's on IMDb, it has to be true.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Well it's on IMDb, it has to be true.

Jon Landau, the producer, said it back in 2010 during an interview: http://www.mtv.com/news/2596073/avatar-producer-says-battle-angel-alita-has-a-new-name-will-follow-avatar-2/

quote:

“I’m telling people that we have to call it ‘Alita: Battle Angel,’ because Jim only does T&A movies,” grinned Landau, listing the examples. “’Titanic,’ ‘Aliens,’ ‘Terminator,’ ‘Abyss,’ ‘True Lies,’ ‘Avatar.’”

“So, we can’t call it ‘Battle Angel’,” he insisted. “We have to call it ‘Alita: Battle Angel.’”

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm actually a little surprised the movie's keeping her name as Alita, since it's very clearly taking inspiration from the OVA and the OVA actually used Gally

Alita sounds much better than Gally.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

Alita sounds much better than Gally.

It was probably actually Garry. She was named after a male cat after all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's probably racist.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Somewhere along the line I picked up the idea that Gally was short for Galatea but that might be from a fanfic or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

That's probably racist.

ガリィ is Ga Ri (i) so "gary" is a lot more sensible translation than 'gally" since gary is an actual name and as metal gear teaches us you can't really directly write Li in japanese because a supercomputer stole La Li Lu Le Lo with vocal parasites (or in real life because the Li sound is overly similar to the pronunciation of the Ri sound to make a separate letter)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

ガリィ is Ga Ri (i) so "gary" is a lot more sensible translation than 'gally" since gary is an actual name and as metal gear teaches us you can't really directly write Li in japanese because a supercomputer stole La Li Lu Le Lo with vocal parasites (or in real life because the Li sound is overly similar to the pronunciation of the Ri sound to make a separate letter)

H/Yugo also comments that it sounds like the name of a tough guy.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

7c Nickel posted:

H/Yugo also comments that it sounds like the name of a tough guy.

Yeah, it's racist to make a caricature out of the way Japanese people speak english but it's a real thing that Japanese is a different language with a different alphabet and uses a phoneme that is mostly like an R sound but sort of like an L sound that isn't a thing in english so that when a translator has to translate they just have to follow their heart on if an L sound or an R sound fits better since neither are quite right. The original name as it was originally written is Gary as much as it's Gally and probably was intended to be something more like Gary

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

7c Nickel posted:

The eyes are whatever, it's a valid stylistic choice.

But Scrapyard apparently Iron City now, just seems all wrong.

This is the nightmare city in the perpetual shadow of a giant floating (hanging really) arcology? One where every day garbage and effluent and old machinery fall randomly on the people below? Where loverboy here is so desperate to escape that he's out stealing people's spinal cords at night?

A nice sunny day where a bunch of healthy looking people are out on dates and taking joyrides on motorcycles?

Oh sure it may look nice, but just try finding a studio apartment you can afford when half the housing has been bought by tech bro assholes and the other half are being rented out through Airbnb.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's racist to make a caricature out of the way Japanese people speak english but it's a real thing that Japanese is a different language with a different alphabet and uses a phoneme that is mostly like an R sound but sort of like an L sound that isn't a thing in english so that when a translator has to translate they just have to follow their heart on if an L sound or an R sound fits better since neither are quite right. The original name as it was originally written is Gary as much as it's Gally and probably was intended to be something more like Gary

On the other hand, Battle Angel Gary just sounds hilarious.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

On the other hand, Battle Angel Gary just sounds hilarious.

So does the actual name of the manga which is Gunnm, short for "Gun Dream".

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

James Cameron must be really, really bored. There's a lot of effort put into this movie but I learned my lesson after avatar. The dudes not really on top of his game anymore.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ajrosales posted:

James Cameron must be really, really bored.

No, this is a ridiculous passion project for him. This movie is literally why he made Avatar, as a tech demo for the type of tech he wanted to use on this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This movie is literally why he made Avatar, as a tech demo for the type of tech he wanted to use on this.

It was actually a toss up between Battle Angel and Avatar for Cameron. He was going to push the go button on one or the other at a crossroads. Ultimately he went with Avatar, but we very well could have had Battle Angel come out back in December of 2009. He realized only in retrospect that it was good he did Avatar first because when making that film, he found it was a lot harder to mix live action photography with stereographic 3D photography and CG, and Battle Angel has way more of that. A majority of Avatar was performance capture tech based in an all CG world in comparison.

[edit] Here's the video/article from 2010 where he explains this http://www.mtv.com/news/1628644/avatar-director-james-cameron-talks-future-projects/

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 28, 2017

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
After hearing about this movie and reading some of the hype about the original, I've watched the OVA and read a good chunk of the original manga, and... can someone explain to my why this is so anticipated?

The characterizations are flat, the motivations are flimsy, and the philosophizing is laughably bad. The story reads like a juvenile excuse to have a sexy female character tear monsters and cyborgs to pieces. Which is fine, but it leaves me perplexed why anyone thinks of this as anything other than a gorier DBZ. Some of the art in the manga is interesting and dynamic, but that's about the only thing that kept me wanting to read on. Why is this so praised?

Also, there is no doubt in my mind after watching the trailers that the action that is represented in the manga will not translate well at all to a live-action setting.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MeinPanzer posted:

After hearing about this movie and reading some of the hype about the original, I've watched the OVA and read a good chunk of the original manga, and... can someone explain to my why this is so anticipated?

The characterizations are flat, the motivations are flimsy, and the philosophizing is laughably bad. The story reads like a juvenile excuse to have a sexy female character tear monsters and cyborgs to pieces. Which is fine, but it leaves me perplexed why anyone thinks of this as anything other than a gorier DBZ. Some of the art in the manga is interesting and dynamic, but that's about the only thing that kept me wanting to read on. Why is this so praised?

Also, there is no doubt in my mind after watching the trailers that the action that is represented in the manga will not translate well at all to a live-action setting.

It had a really cool setting that seemed infinately more fresh in 1990 than it does now 28 years later. It's not the first thing ever to do it or anything but it wasn't so absurdly generic to have the cyborg dystopia trash city under the shadow of rich sky city. Even in 1997 people treated that setting as novel in final fantasy 7 midgar. Now everything does it ad it was the setting of the new Thor movie with no comment because it's just a generic sci-fi idea now.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It had a really cool setting that seemed infinately more fresh in 1990 than it does now 28 years later. It's not the first thing ever to do it or anything but it wasn't so absurdly generic to have the cyborg dystopia trash city under the shadow of rich sky city. Even in 1997 people treated that setting as novel in final fantasy 7 midgar. Now everything does it ad it was the setting of the new Thor movie with no comment because it's just a generic sci-fi idea now.

I can forgive the setting seeming unoriginal today, and I actually appreciate that 80s-early 90s post-apocalyptic punk aesthetic. I just don’t understand people praising the story and characters, and I also don’t understand why this is worth remaking today.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 1, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MeinPanzer posted:

I can forgive the setting seeming unoriginal today, and I actually appreciate that 80s-early 90s post-apocalyptic punk aesthetic. I just don’t understand people praising the story and characters, and I also don’t understand why this is worth remaking today.

No one needs to make any western live action anime movie. They are universally garbage. People liked it because it was good 30 years ago

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No one needs to make any western live action anime movie. They are universally garbage. People liked it because it was good 30 years ago

Sure, but I expect we'll be up to our necks in live-action anime when the superhero well runs dry. This is how it starts. Hollywood tips its toe in, and for every Edge of Tomorrow or Pacific Rim that doesn't tank, you get all the more garbage flops.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No one needs to make any western live action anime movie. They are universally garbage.

Edge of Tomorrow was great and Death Note fuckin' ruled. GitS also wasn't irredeemable, just a lot dumber than the source material.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MeinPanzer posted:

It's because there was nothing quite like its style of gruesome violence presented so coherently around when it came out. I mean even in movies in general there's, like, the shootouts in Nemesis or the part of T2 where the T-1000 beats the crap out of Arnold, the lung scene in the RoboCop reboot and that's about it. Setting wise the only live action movies that are kinda sorta visually like it are Elysium and Hardware.

I think that's why people (myself included) are so letdown by the footage so far despite loving the comic, there is a lot of stuff going on in it that would be unique and awesome looking even today, but like Ghost in the Shell it seems like it's going for a greatest hits thing and not really making the setting as dense or hosed up as it can get in the comics.

People praise the characters because they're awesome for what it is. I was talking about this earlier in the thread for a bit in that it's one of my favorite comics ever, but it's still an action comic first and foremost. Like Fist of the North Star, some assholes do some hosed up stuff, so Alita obliterates them, it's cathartic the same way a lot of action stories are but with some sweeping scenery and weird robots and ultra-violence, I mean it should be pretty easy to see the appeal.

Making a big dumb action movie out of that is a fine idea, but without really committing to the hosed up setting and look it's kind of pointless today. I mean even looking at the comic today there is some impressively splattery action going on that you know isn't going to happen at all in the movie, and some impressive scenery that we already see is going to be a bit too clean in the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 1, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean even looking at the comic today there is some impressively splattery action going on that you know isn't going to happen at all in the movie

Apparently the plan is to keep the splatter but Evil Dead 2 it up with weird multicolor blood.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Apparently the plan is to keep the splatter but Evil Dead 2 it up with weird multicolor blood.

I know Cameron's been saying this since like 2003 but I'll believe it when I see it. Like there's a crunchy brutality to the violence that I'd be impressed if they could get across at PG-13.

I'm still hoping this movie is cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I agree with that, I don't think they'd ordinarily get away with a PG-13 even with technicolor blood simply because the robots and cyborgs are waaaaay more human-looking than in, say, Transformers. Human gore doesn't tend to play well even if it's odd-looking.

With that said, though, Cameron has about the most pull of any working director, so he might sway the MPAA. That shot of Zapan getting his head dunked into the table looked brutal as gently caress, so if all the action is along those lines we'll probably be fine.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

It's because there was nothing quite like its style of gruesome violence presented so coherently around when it came out. I mean even in movies in general there's, like, the shootouts in Nemesis or the part of T2 where the T-1000 beats the crap out of Arnold, the lung scene in the RoboCop reboot and that's about it. Setting wise the only live action movies that are kinda sorta visually like it are Elysium and Hardware.

I think that's why people (myself included) are so letdown by the footage so far despite loving the comic, there is a lot of stuff going on in it that would be unique and awesome looking even today, but like Ghost in the Shell it seems like it's going for a greatest hits thing and not really making the setting as dense or hosed up as it can get in the comics.

People praise the characters because they're awesome for what it is. I was talking about this earlier in the thread for a bit in that it's one of my favorite comics ever, but it's still an action comic first and foremost. Like Fist of the North Star, some assholes do some hosed up stuff, so Alita obliterates them, it's cathartic the same way a lot of action stories are but with some sweeping scenery and weird robots and ultra-violence, I mean it should be pretty easy to see the appeal.

Making a big dumb action movie out of that is a fine idea, but without really committing to the hosed up setting and look it's kind of pointless today. I mean even looking at the comic today there is some impressively splattery action going on that you know isn't going to happen at all in the movie, and some impressive scenery that we already see is going to be a bit too clean in the movie.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought I was missing something given all the praise it's getting, but I think I just didn't appreciate how innovative the manga was when it came out.

I was an anime fan when I was a teenager, but, to be honest, whenever I try to give non-Ghibli anime a chance again by watching or re-watching the "classics," I always end up coming away feeling that most are often incoherent, thinly-veiled excuses to show sexy women and gory violence slathered with a veneer of vapid philosophizing. I re-watched Ghost in the Shell last year in anticipation of the remake and was shocked at how boring and juvenile it was compared to how great I remember it seeming when I was a teenager. I found the recent TV show to be a little more interesting, but still puerile.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I thought I was missing something given all the praise it's getting, but I think I just didn't appreciate how innovative the manga was when it came out.

I was an anime fan when I was a teenager, but, to be honest, whenever I try to give non-Ghibli anime a chance again by watching or re-watching the "classics," I always end up coming away feeling that most are often incoherent, thinly-veiled excuses to show sexy women and gory violence slathered with a veneer of vapid philosophizing. I re-watched Ghost in the Shell last year in anticipation of the remake and was shocked at how boring and juvenile it was compared to how great I remember it seeming when I was a teenager. I found the recent TV show to be a little more interesting, but still puerile.

This is extremely true honestly so I don't blame you for being cynical about it. I actually like the Ghost in the Shell TV series more than the movie too because it's basically Lethal Weapon but cyber-crimes, it isn't presented as anything more than it is. It's probably the only Ghost in the Shell related thing I'd actually suggest to anyone to check out today despite how important the first comic and 1995 movie are.

I used to love stuff like Wicked City and Ninja Resurrection and Dark Warrior and other stuff that emphasized the gratuitous gore and sexual content throughout the 80s and 90s but re-watching any of that stuff as an adult and it's hilariously lovely on every level. Whenever I go back and re-watch stuff now the campier stuff holds up waaaay better. Like there's a lot of interesting stuff to say about Ghost in the Shell's 1995 movie's design but my favorite Shirow stuff that got animated will always be Patlabor and Dominion Tank Police. Like the latter is just dead stupid 80s action movie stuff with goofy fun characters and it holds up way better than a lot of "serious" 90s anime because of it. I like The Guyver series more now than I did as a kid because it's basically super gory power rangers and perfect background TV material.

You might dig Cyber City Oedo 808. There's only three 45 minute installments of it (each focusing on one of the three main characters stopping a cyber crime) and that's it. There's no manga, spinoffs*, or anything else and it's just three cool self-contained stories. It's the coolest anime ever made. There's a ton of better anime but it's definitely the coolest anime. Also an interesting one because the English dub and Euro/US soundtrack is a significant improvement over the Japanese dub and soundtrack. Like it's noticeably better one very level which was unusual for the time. The entire thing is on YouTube like most 80s and early 90s anime. It's my favorite "Shadowrun" anime. Also has SSS-tier dialogue like "Adios you bozo, this time I'm downloading you STRAIGHT INTO HELL." and "As the killer has appeared only at night, and the victims were missing large quantities of blood, the obvious logical conclusion is that vampires are real." as well as this immortal gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

They accidentally titled the video "2nd worst line in anime" instead of "one of the best lines in anime."

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

Like there's a lot of interesting stuff to say about Ghost in the Shell's 1995 movie's design but my favorite Shirow stuff that got animated will always be Patlabor and Dominion Tank Police.

Shirow never created Patlabor, and it's probably best that you don't look too deep into the works he has done outside of, say, Tank Police, GitS, or Appleseed.

Patlabor was, however, created by a pretty important little group called Headgear, which included Mamoru Oshii, the director of the two GitS films. In a lot of ways, he's most responsible for people's perceptions about GitS today, despite two TV seasons that were wildly different in tone from the movies, which in turn were VERY different from the manga. There's a lot of shared ideas across the different mediums, but the two GitS films are markedly slower paced, and very heavy on the depressive themes and cinematography. This is not bad or anything, just very different, especially on reflection.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Shirow never created Patlabor, and it's probably best that you don't look too deep into the works he has done outside of, say, Tank Police, GitS, or Appleseed.

Patlabor was, however, created by a pretty important little group called Headgear, which included Mamoru Oshii, the director of the two GitS films. In a lot of ways, he's most responsible for people's perceptions about GitS today, despite two TV seasons that were wildly different in tone from the movies, which in turn were VERY different from the manga. There's a lot of shared ideas across the different mediums, but the two GitS films are markedly slower paced, and very heavy on the depressive themes and cinematography. This is not bad or anything, just very different, especially on reflection.

I know this and feel like a dumbass for mixing them up. I must be conflating it with some other setting/mechs Shirow did that were similar to the stuff in Patlabor.

Didn't he end up basically doing pornographic stuff full time instead of sometimes because a flood destroyed all of his stuff and he had to deep dive into doing adult stuff to pay the bills and never stopped outside of GitS 2 or something? I remember the brief window where comic stores would inadvertently have his folks loving/hosed by machines stuff or whatever out on the regular shelf next to the other manga and anime artbooks.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

I know this and feel like a dumbass for mixing them up. I must be conflating it with some other setting/mechs Shirow did that were similar to the stuff in Patlabor.

Didn't he end up basically doing pornographic stuff full time instead of sometimes because a flood destroyed all of his stuff and he had to deep dive into doing adult stuff to pay the bills and never stopped outside of GitS 2 or something? I remember the brief window where comic stores would inadvertently have his folks loving/hosed by machines stuff or whatever out on the regular shelf next to the other manga and anime artbooks.

Appleseed, GitS, and some other sci-fi stuff he was working on got cut short because of the 1995 Hanshin earthquake. He lost pretty much all of his world building notes for Appleseed, which was pretty devastating to the man creatively. The reality about Shirow is that he was never all that mainstream in Japan compared to other contemporary artists, and porn pays the bills. His biggest success was in the US, and initially because GitS 95 (Oshii's work) got people interested in the source material... but not to the degree where anyone actually looks at the Manga and thinks of it as 'important' compared to the movie.

Like, the recent GitS film was pretty mixed in reception, and a lot of it has to do with how different it was from the first animated movie. Very few people give a poo poo about the manga today, and that's kinda sad in a lot of ways. It has it's own share of problems, it's very much a work of its time, but without it we'd have essentially nothing else GitS in the world. Warts and all.

I'm kinda hopeful for the Alita movie still. Even if it's not 1 to 1 a retelling of the Manga, it can still be good, and still get people interested in the characters and property. It worked for GitS, and somehow the AWFUL Appleseed films and TV series have gotten people interested in that Manga. Whether or not Alita turns out good is anyone's guess, and I'm not willing to poo poo on a movie for it's trailer just yet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I agree with that, I don't think they'd ordinarily get away with a PG-13 even with technicolor blood simply because the robots and cyborgs are waaaaay more human-looking than in, say, Transformers.

The original samurai jack's entire existence was based on the fact you can do anything you want and be as gory as you want and still call something a kid's cartoon as long as you say "it was a robot"

Like off the top of my head the way this rat screams in what is a total comedy episode (and the way the rat was obviously a rat until the exact instant it dies at which point it was secretly a robot, which was a trick that show did a whole heck of a lot, making things secretly robots but you don't find that out until it's dead to forgive it's gruesome or tortured death)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-srjBIRjK1o

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Samurai Jack was also animated and careful to never edge towards anything that really looked like actual gore. The plan for Alita is to make it look like actual gore, and just have it be neon blue.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Samurai Jack was also animated and careful to never edge towards anything that really looked like actual gore. The plan for Alita is to make it look like actual gore, and just have it be neon blue.

They loved making it look like gore. They made a ton of clearly blood but not blood color so it's fine scenes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
SJ avoided gore, not blood. When a robot in SJ got chopped in half, there was no real detail, just wires and black liquid. When someone gets merc'd in BAA, you generally see what looks a lot like regular human meat and organs flying around.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

SJ avoided gore, not blood. When a robot in SJ got chopped in half, there was no real detail, just wires and black liquid.

It was always a cartoon for little kids and the art style is so far out I can't imagine it having realistic looking death even if it tried but it got away with a LOT with adult situations based on "it's just robots!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOT_S43K36M

Although actually powerpuff girls just had flat out blood sometimes at the same time period so maybe cartoon network just had a while it was fine with mild gore in kids stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

SJ avoided gore, not blood. When a robot in SJ got chopped in half, there was no real detail, just wires and black liquid. When someone gets merc'd in BAA, you generally see what looks a lot like regular human meat and organs flying around.

I was about to make this same post. Like imagine The Terminator except Arnold also has regular human organs inside of its metal skeleton and any time someone punches him is entire body is compacted and bits of intestine/brain/whatever get knocked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

I was about to make this same post. Like imagine The Terminator except Arnold also has regular human organs inside of its metal skeleton and any time someone punches him is entire body is compacted and bits of intestine/brain/whatever get knocked out.

• Locked thread