Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s really weird when nerds start fronting like “it looks like a videogame - and I despise videogames.”

"looks like a videogame" is just shorthand for "it looks like it is using the simpler rendering techniques videogames use to manage real time rendering" as contrasted with the non-real time rendering techniques real movies use.

Like since they are both done on computers you should think "cars" the movie and "cars" the game would look identical and they could just share models and stuff. But no, cars the movie does a lot of it's fancy reflections and lighting and stuff with raytracing that takes hours and hours to render and is totally unsuitable for a game that needs 30+ frames every second built from scratch.

like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQX7SQ3dQ4

isn't this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuYOeFDuBmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, it's not necessarily that I don't like video games- I'm willing to cut them more slack on how they look because real-time rendering is loving hard. Video games are limited by the capabilities of the platform they're running on, which is why I'm insanely impressed when something like Kingdom Hearts 3 actually manages to come close to movie-quality graphics.

Movies, however, are limited essentially by how much time they have, how big of a render farm they're willing to rent out, and how talented the CGI artists are. If the best they can come up with looks like something a PS3 could render in real-time, that's... pretty bad.

Yeah, videogames can look nice with the right art direction, but no matter what you'll always be able to do more calculations in 2 seconds than you can in 1 second so something that doesn't need to create frames in real time will always be able to make much better visuals.

I think looking "videogamey" also means something with like movement and animation where videogames are limited to algorithmic or canned animation. Like there isn't a tiny director in the PS4 watching every kill shot you make and deciding how to make it look best or making you replay the scene a different way to change the variables or anything, it's all just a compromise of picking the standard animation and hope it looks okay in the situation or ragdolling and hope the physics make it look cool. Movie animation tends to look different than videogame animation in that way. Like CGI characters pick things up, video game people hold their arm outstretched and their elbow half bent and then objects glue to their palm. (because realistic hand animation is super complicated to automate)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

That's probably racist.

ガリィ is Ga Ri (i) so "gary" is a lot more sensible translation than 'gally" since gary is an actual name and as metal gear teaches us you can't really directly write Li in japanese because a supercomputer stole La Li Lu Le Lo with vocal parasites (or in real life because the Li sound is overly similar to the pronunciation of the Ri sound to make a separate letter)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

7c Nickel posted:

H/Yugo also comments that it sounds like the name of a tough guy.

Yeah, it's racist to make a caricature out of the way Japanese people speak english but it's a real thing that Japanese is a different language with a different alphabet and uses a phoneme that is mostly like an R sound but sort of like an L sound that isn't a thing in english so that when a translator has to translate they just have to follow their heart on if an L sound or an R sound fits better since neither are quite right. The original name as it was originally written is Gary as much as it's Gally and probably was intended to be something more like Gary

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MeinPanzer posted:

After hearing about this movie and reading some of the hype about the original, I've watched the OVA and read a good chunk of the original manga, and... can someone explain to my why this is so anticipated?

The characterizations are flat, the motivations are flimsy, and the philosophizing is laughably bad. The story reads like a juvenile excuse to have a sexy female character tear monsters and cyborgs to pieces. Which is fine, but it leaves me perplexed why anyone thinks of this as anything other than a gorier DBZ. Some of the art in the manga is interesting and dynamic, but that's about the only thing that kept me wanting to read on. Why is this so praised?

Also, there is no doubt in my mind after watching the trailers that the action that is represented in the manga will not translate well at all to a live-action setting.

It had a really cool setting that seemed infinately more fresh in 1990 than it does now 28 years later. It's not the first thing ever to do it or anything but it wasn't so absurdly generic to have the cyborg dystopia trash city under the shadow of rich sky city. Even in 1997 people treated that setting as novel in final fantasy 7 midgar. Now everything does it ad it was the setting of the new Thor movie with no comment because it's just a generic sci-fi idea now.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MeinPanzer posted:

I can forgive the setting seeming unoriginal today, and I actually appreciate that 80s-early 90s post-apocalyptic punk aesthetic. I just don’t understand people praising the story and characters, and I also don’t understand why this is worth remaking today.

No one needs to make any western live action anime movie. They are universally garbage. People liked it because it was good 30 years ago

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I agree with that, I don't think they'd ordinarily get away with a PG-13 even with technicolor blood simply because the robots and cyborgs are waaaaay more human-looking than in, say, Transformers.

The original samurai jack's entire existence was based on the fact you can do anything you want and be as gory as you want and still call something a kid's cartoon as long as you say "it was a robot"

Like off the top of my head the way this rat screams in what is a total comedy episode (and the way the rat was obviously a rat until the exact instant it dies at which point it was secretly a robot, which was a trick that show did a whole heck of a lot, making things secretly robots but you don't find that out until it's dead to forgive it's gruesome or tortured death)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-srjBIRjK1o

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Samurai Jack was also animated and careful to never edge towards anything that really looked like actual gore. The plan for Alita is to make it look like actual gore, and just have it be neon blue.

They loved making it look like gore. They made a ton of clearly blood but not blood color so it's fine scenes

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

SJ avoided gore, not blood. When a robot in SJ got chopped in half, there was no real detail, just wires and black liquid.

It was always a cartoon for little kids and the art style is so far out I can't imagine it having realistic looking death even if it tried but it got away with a LOT with adult situations based on "it's just robots!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOT_S43K36M

Although actually powerpuff girls just had flat out blood sometimes at the same time period so maybe cartoon network just had a while it was fine with mild gore in kids stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

I was about to make this same post. Like imagine The Terminator except Arnold also has regular human organs inside of its metal skeleton and any time someone punches him is entire body is compacted and bits of intestine/brain/whatever get knocked out.

• Locked thread