Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

"Dreamer of Dune" by Brian Herbert I believe.

Found a quote finally, interpret this as you will. It doesn't sound like his son was disowned, only that he had a terribly poo poo relationship with Bruce Herbert.

quote:

Bruce's homosexuality was had never been accepted by my father, and they had never reached full rapprochement. Still, when my brother came to Seatle he broke into tears while riding in the backseat of my car. Penny and Jan consoled him. My brother told me later that he didn't cry from love, because he didn't feel he loved the man. He said he cried from what he had never experienced in the relationship between his father.
I missed almost everything," Bruce said. "I never saw the good side he showed you. He wasn't there fore me."
He went on to say that he couldn't watch movies or television programs having to do with father-son relationships, because they upset him so much. I told him that Dad loved him, that he spoke of him often and fondly, and that he just didn't know how to show it. I reminded Bruce of all the ways he emulated our father, and of the many interests they shared . . . electronics, computers, science fiction, photography, flamenco guitar . . . and I asked if that could possible mean that he loved Dad after all. My brother fell silent.

I feel very bad for Bruce :smith:

There's a very bizarre and lovely conversation going on at this website and it's where i finally found a quote referencing this stuff, but the quotes seem legit and there's more if you care about frank herbert's awareness

http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Son gay, so what

Is what I wish frank had said.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yes, the "Battle of Corrin" by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson all the others belong in the trash

You monster.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Endorsing Brian Herbert books should be disallowed.

In fact i am putting a polite moratorium on it. If you are a nice fellow who doesn't want to be a jerk, don't do this. I can't stop it but you shouldn't do that!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Gay used to be Not Cool and it is only a recent phenomenon that people have been able to come out to their parents and expect a good reaction. Hell, Matthew Shephard was murdered in 98. Not even been 20 years yet. Frank Herbert died in 86, we don't know when Bruce came out to him. Being only unhappy with his son's gayness would be a comparatively GOOD reaction at the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

basic hitler posted:

Frank's cock was named Leto for sure.

I feel like Dune Messiah is way more straightforward than even Dune itself. It's not bouncing around a whole bunch of characters, instead it hones in on Paul and just a few other pov's, and the narrative scope is very narrow and more traditional.

I remember children of dune the least, and it's why i started this adventure again. I'm glad to be back to it and reading it again, but so far it's about the same.

God Emperor is so loving weird as i recall it, once i finally understood what was happening i had a WAIT WHAT moment and i made myself reread everything before that moment to grasp it again.

Loved it though.

I never made it to God Emperor what happens thats so mind blowing

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I never made it to God Emperor what happens thats so mind blowing

God Emperor is just an odd loving book man. It was hard to understand at all, when it finally clicked with me i was afraid i had missed a lot by not understanding it up until that point, and i was right.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

im a militant fremenist

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Iirc lasguns are outlawed by the great convention. Any house found using them will face the combined wrath of ever other house, yada yada.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Iirc lasguns are outlawed by the great convention. Any house found using them will face the combined wrath of ever other house, yada yada.

They aren't, however a lasgun + shield explosion looks no different from an atomic blast. You have to be really careful about using them or your intended victim can easily turn that accident into opporunity by screaming about atrocities with atomic weapons and then you're 100% hosed by the rules of that society

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
im for lasgun proliferation

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I liked all the Dune books very much. ( the original ones.) When an author constructs an alternate universe that is so fully fleshed out and believable it is such a treat.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The first book is great and it would be nice to see a screen adaptation from somebody like Terrence Malick.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think the guy who got it has a very good shot at making a good movie, unless he gets the hard dick producer screw that Lynch got.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

his son apparnetly can't write but i don't care what he thought of him this is a place where you need to separate an artists from his art.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Free Fremen now!

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BluPotato posted:

his son apparnetly can't write but i don't care what he thought of him this is a place where you need to separate an artists from his art.
i agree

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I liked God Emperor the best and my favorite scene was when the immortal worm-man saw an armed insurrection rising up against him, went “gently caress yeah some action” and charged his mobility scooter through a crowd of resistance fighters

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I said it before and I'll say it again: I don't care how many contributing authors it had, the Dune Encyclopedia is loving entertaining as hell. If you like Dune, I'd recommend it.

Also lol what is wrong with that Brian Herbert quote? Is that how he typed before autocorrect existed or what?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

On the subject of the Dune Legends series (the prequels Brian Herbert co-wrote with Kevin J. Anderson), I would agree that their definitely not "good" books. If you're a big fan of Frank Herbert, or his Dune stuff specifically, don't read them. If you're looking for a mildly entertaining book to read, the kind of thing that has building sized cyborgs destroying poo poo (which I suspect is probably Andersons influence), then go ahead. Their a lot more entertaining if you pretend their action stories that have nothing to do with Dune.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spinster posted:

I liked all the Dune books very much. ( the original ones.) When an author constructs an alternate universe that is so fully fleshed out and believable it is such a treat.

:yeah:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really liked how he kicked mankind so very far out into the future (something like 20,000 years from this date for the beginning of Dune, and I don't know , a lot more for God Emperor, and at least a few thousand more for heretics/chapterhouse).

It's so far into the future that mankind is on the cusp of not really being anything like humans as we'd recognize them. Their culture is a strange amalgam of our conservative past with concessions to the needs of Herbert's deep unknowable future, religions whose names we may recognize partially (zensunni, orange catholic bible, etc.) in theory are nothing like their names imply in reality.

He has to pay zero heed or care to the mankind of today from a plot and story perspective. Our culture and politics only matter insofar as they informed Frank Herbert himself. You almost can't become morally alienated from Dune itself, as the setting removes itself from an actual earthly context as much as possible.

Frank Herbert said balls to all of that, i'm gonna write a book about a bunch of feudal space weirdos who rely on LSD for space travel with an entirely unrecognizable, frequently objectionable society.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

basic hitler posted:

I really liked how he kicked mankind so very far out into the future (something like 20,000 years from this date for the beginning of Dune, and I don't know , a lot more for God Emperor, and at least a few thousand more for heretics/chapterhouse).

It's so far into the future that mankind is on the cusp of not really being anything like humans as we'd recognize them. Their culture is a strange amalgam of our conservative past with concessions to the needs of Herbert's deep unknowable future, religions whose names we may recognize partially (zensunni, orange catholic bible, etc.) in theory are nothing like their names imply in reality.

He has to pay zero heed or care to the mankind of today from a plot and story perspective. Our culture and politics only matter insofar as they informed Frank Herbert himself. You almost can't become morally alienated from Dune itself, as the setting removes itself from an actual earthly context as much as possible.

Frank Herbert said balls to all of that, i'm gonna write a book about a bunch of feudal space weirdos who rely on LSD for space travel with an entirely unrecognizable, frequently objectionable society.

The one thing I always hated about a lot of sci-fi is how human society somehow devolves into a lot of feudalism/serfdom, but if the only way to get into space is through a tightly-controlled guild, it doesn't surprise me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Leto II reigns for three thousand years and saves humanity. RIP.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I dunno, it kinda makes sense for the most prevalent government structure to be one that's stable under isolated conditions to be the one that prevails here, especially since the giant corporation and secretive guild that control space travel, who has nearly unlimited access to resource rich worlds, have profit margins that really like stability at the macro scale, and isolated despotic worlds with stratified social hierarchies are probably ideal to them for that reason.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really want to sit in a chairdog.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

basic hitler posted:

They aren't, however a lasgun + shield explosion looks no different from an atomic blast. You have to be really careful about using them or your intended victim can easily turn that accident into opporunity by screaming about atrocities with atomic weapons and then you're 100% hosed by the rules of that society

In "Messiah" when Paul is monologuing about the death-toll caused by the jihad of his imperial ascension, he numbers the casualties across the Imperium in the tens of billions, but never mentions the use of atomics as being part of the campaign, and still regards them as being forbidden. Since the jihad is being waged presumably by a few million fanatical Fremen and their converts, it seems reasonable to me to think that the lasgun + shield combo might be one of the many tools of destruction being employed.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Harrower posted:

Suicide bombers today are a pretty major concern and the best most of them can manage is some ANFO wrapped with nails. Giving those guys nukes seems like a real problem. They were probably out of reach for the common citizenry cost wise, but it's not like the dune universe is short of wealthy malcontents. From what I can recall almost any vaguely militaristic organization had them readily available, and the governments hardly had the economy under control as there were smugglers and black markets selling stuff all over the place. I've been following dune discussions here and there for years and I've just never seen an answer that wasn't opinion and speculation. The books just sort of go along with it and never play it out which always annoyed me.

The wealthy malcontents had far more destructive things they could use than just 'rig a laser to shoot at a shield'.

Been a while since I read it, and I might be misremembering, but the reason nobody ever uses shield-and-laser for intentional mass destruction is because there were devices that were actually meant to make as big a boom as possible, and didn't do it by accident. You don't need to exploit two pieces of technology that have an unintended consequence like you're exploiting gameplay mechanics. You can just make a real bomb using the same principles. Or something far more destructive altogether. And that's actually used. Technically illegal, but it didn't stop someone from smuggling one onto the Messia's own planet.

The only scrappy terrorist underdogs group was the Fremen themselves in book one, and they didn't have access to shields and lasers. After that, the religious fanatics are the ones running things, and the people who want to shake things up are quite well funded and technologically savvy. They don't need improvised nukes duct-taped together. They have things that go beyond nukes.

And someone just running into an important person's place and firing a laser at the shielded guards was a constant worry, too.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 9, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

basic hitler posted:

I really want to sit in a chairdog.

Holy crap i thought this was a joke

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic hitler posted:

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

Holy crap i thought this was a joke

The first book is REALLY worth reading if you haven't yet.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Spinster posted:

The first book is REALLY worth reading if you haven't yet.

ive read the first one but it was decades back now when i was in middle school and i dont recall no chairdogs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

it's set way after that book, and right as the consequences of leto's actions really start to affect the old imperium. It is pretty weird, and you won't recognize any of the characters (except one or two!) and they contain vivid descriptions of women who have sex so well that they can turn anyone they gently caress into a nearly mindless slave.

I had a hard time reading it after a sequence basically played out like

"you are just like a bene gesserit witch! your games will not work on me!"

"she contorted her pussy in the honored matre way, and the pleasure overloaded his brain"

"drat... I am now your slave."

but it has its merits in spite of that silliness.

Haha thats basically an Oglaf strip isnt it.

They had Heretics at my school library, it was very popular.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
The thing I really thought was neat about Leto II and the golden path was that he saw his death and how painful it was 3000 years or so before he even started. Despite that, he took on the role and had such a dedication to saving humanity that he turned into a dildo fish worm person. He was really that dedicated to saving the path of humanity. The only hiccup to the whole plan was the tlilaxu clone that he falls in love with.

The Duncan ghola theme was kinda weird though. As were the space dominatrix ninja fetishists with their own brand of space lsd.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
SPICE MUST FLOW

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Dude was ok. The second book was awful

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I've read Dune twice and it was great both times. There is no reason to read anything past Dune. Just stop, seriously. If you get apologists telling you anything else, ignore it. Dune is fantastic. Everything else is garbage. I have warned you.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Another cool thing to consider about Dune is that a lot of popular scifi writers imagined humanity's future as being free from mysticism and driven by logic. Of course you still had it show up in campy space operas but it was the enemy. Ming of Mongo was an Asiatic tyrant, not a person to sympathize with.

Frank Herbert said gently caress that: Religion will survive, logic won't rule, technology will be subordinate, and we might role backwards in social progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

The super gay sci-fi masterpiece, DUDE