Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

kalel posted:

speaking of flags, I'm surprised no one has brought up that one quick moment after the nuke where two sardaukar are righting a toppled flag. it looks an awful lot like this imo

That was a fun moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kalel posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Every 70mm IMAX showing in every theater is nearly all full with only single rando seats in stupid places like the front row.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

kiimo posted:

Every 70mm IMAX showing in every theater is nearly all full with only single rando seats in stupid places like the front row.

I've seen it twice so far in IMAX, and ya its been a full house each time. If your theater has pre-purchasing (and these days what theater doesn't), I'd recommend reserving seats like a week in advance. I think its definitely worth the effort to IMAX it.

One thing I noticed between the two showings was the difference in sound quality. It was way louder and more immersive on my 2nd showing where I was closer to the center sweet spot versus the first showing where I was back row.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
all you loving water fat morons out there IMAXing while you should do like me and be DUNEMAXing* your life

* making GBS threads in a bag, spitting on people's tables, clearly high all day, screaming prophetic bullshit at passersby

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
dicklessness is not required, but it is encouraged

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I've seen it twice so far in IMAX, and ya its been a full house each time. If your theater has pre-purchasing (and these days what theater doesn't), I'd recommend reserving seats like a week in advance. I think its definitely worth the effort to IMAX it.

One thing I noticed between the two showings was the difference in sound quality. It was way louder and more immersive on my 2nd showing where I was closer to the center sweet spot versus the first showing where I was back row.

my theater is the movie theater on the Universal City City Walk and as you might imagine it's...pretty booked.

Other theaters in LA are the same but also I kind of refuse to see a movie in a theater that isn't literally where I work

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

My Dune loving friend saw the movie and was so mad about the changes that she declared it the worst movie she'd ever seen and will in no way endorse or see the third one... Like drat, I understand having critiques and/or disappointments because things had to be cut, but it's a movie adaptation and things always have to be cut. Even if you take the DUNE out of it, it's a great film in general. The effects, both digital and practical were awesome, I am always in awe at how cool lasguns are, and was giggling in my seat when they did the worm invasion.

The explosion momentarily contained inside the ornithopter shield was a thing of beauty. I was disappointed that we didn't get a creepy off-putting child that spoke like an adult and stabbed the baron, sure. I love the weird poo poo that comes with this series, but I understand that Villeneuve didn't want to do a big time skip after already having a montage. It makes sense cinematically to do a time skip between films, which is clearly planned since they already cast a grown Alia in a vision. Instead, it was shown that Alia was basically controlling Jessica from the womb by the end of the movie... which is Frankly creepy enough for me!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Ultra Carp

Bubblyblubber posted:

all you loving water fat morons out there IMAXing while you should do like me and be DUNEMAXing* your life

* making GBS threads in a bag, spitting on people's tables, clearly high all day, screaming prophetic bullshit at passersby

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bubblyblubber posted:

The Matrix had us nerds wearing shades and long coats. Lord of the Rings encouraged long hair. I guess this is a reasonable next step

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Antiquated Pants posted:

My Dune loving friend saw the movie and was so mad about the changes that she declared it the worst movie she'd ever seen and will in no way endorse or see the third one... Like drat, I understand having critiques and/or disappointments because things had to be cut, but it's a movie adaptation and things always have to be cut. Even if you take the DUNE out of it, it's a great film in general. The effects, both digital and practical were awesome, I am always in awe at how cool lasguns are, and was giggling in my seat when they did the worm invasion.

The explosion momentarily contained inside the ornithopter shield was a thing of beauty. I was disappointed that we didn't get a creepy off-putting child that spoke like an adult and stabbed the baron, sure. I love the weird poo poo that comes with this series, but I understand that Villeneuve didn't want to do a big time skip after already having a montage. It makes sense cinematically to do a time skip between films, which is clearly planned since they already cast a grown Alia in a vision. Instead, it was shown that Alia was basically controlling Jessica from the womb by the end of the movie... which is Frankly creepy enough for me!

Your friend is right, I said before its an amazing spectacle but a bad movie

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Antiquated Pants posted:

I was disappointed that we didn't get a creepy off-putting child that spoke like an adult and stabbed the baron, sure. I love the weird poo poo that comes with this series, but I understand that Villeneuve didn't want to do a big time skip after already having a montage. It makes sense cinematically to do a time skip between films, which is clearly planned since they already cast a grown Alia in a vision. Instead, it was shown that Alia was basically controlling Jessica from the womb by the end of the movie... which is Frankly creepy enough for me!

if you want to talk about the artistry of adaptation, fetus alia's integration into the story is pretty seamless. like if your starting parameter is "let's compress the timeline of dune's second half" then I challenge anyone to come up with a more elegant solution without eliminating her character entirely.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

It also feels like a really smart way to set up the climax of Messiah: Paul seeing through newborn Leto's eyes to knife Scytale.

What's even cooler is not being sure that that's what will happen! They managed to create an ending that's truer to the spirit of the books, sets up the sequel better, and does so in a way that even book readers can't be sure where they're going to take the story.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Bubblyblubber posted:

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kalel posted:

if you want to talk about the artistry of adaptation, fetus alia's integration into the story is pretty seamless. like if your starting parameter is "let's compress the timeline of dune's second half" then I challenge anyone to come up with a more elegant solution without eliminating her character entirely.

I was skeptical as anyone about adult vision Alia being dropped into the story but that beach scene after Paul drinks the water is pure badassery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pnumoman posted:

I want to say it's some completely unrelated series, but then I squint and think about a game of telephone with Dune and Russian and I think maybe?

Cool covers nonetheless

Probably similar to western pulp where the illustrators draw whatever the gently caress they want after hearing a vague blurb about the story and the publisher slaps it on if it's cool enough.

Y'know, Dune with lion people could work. It's sorta almost The Lion King as it is.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Scags McDouglas posted:

I was skeptical as anyone about adult vision Alia being dropped into the story but that beach scene after Paul drinks the water is pure badassery.

Using our most alien like actress for it was a good touch.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Scarabrae posted:

Your friend is right, I said before its an amazing spectacle but a bad movie

Welcome to Lynch 1984 Dune. :rolleye:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A thing I just noticed:
Feyd asks if Chani is Paul's "pet;" this is the same word the baron used to describe the messed-up spider thing in Dune 1. Chani is very very lucky she didn't find out what harkonnen "special attention" was.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Ultra Carp
Watchin Dune 2 again

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Ultra Carp
I'm looking forward to the worms

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

kalel posted:

speaking of flags, I'm surprised no one has brought up that one quick moment after the nuke where two sardaukar are righting a toppled flag. it looks an awful lot like this imo

how else do you hoist a toppled flag pole

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

This made me want to find an image of Chalemet saying they pay him in woims, but it doesn't yet exist it seems.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

(Waiting) to reclaim their water
(Waiting) to retake the city
(Waiting) to follow the worms
(Waiting) to put on a stillsuit
(Waiting) to drive out the weaklings
(Waiting) to blow up their shield walls and start holy wars

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tree Bucket posted:

A thing I just noticed:
Feyd asks if Chani is Paul's "pet;" this is the same word the baron used to describe the messed-up spider thing in Dune 1. Chani is very very lucky she didn't find out what harkonnen "special attention" was.

(Attaching 4+ extra limbs)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah. The first time I saw Dune1, I wondered if maybe that ghastly spider-thing was Yueh’s wife, like they’d made her into that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

priznat posted:

(Attaching 4+ extra limbs)

i could use a couple extra arms tbf

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Improbable Lobster posted:

i could use a couple extra arms tbf

Yeah how do we know that spider thing was actually not just someone who was enjoying the benefits of their body modification professionals?!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

In the cinematic universe you can also be upgraded to just a "darling" and then Feyd kills subordinates at random so your goth slim-toothed rear end gets a meal. NGL those ladies were enjoying themselves.

Being a spider sounds worse. The Baron just couldn't compromise in the slightest.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MrMojok posted:

Yeah. The first time I saw Dune1, I wondered if maybe that ghastly spider-thing was Yueh’s wife, like they’d made her into that.

I don't think it's supposed to be literally her but that's definitely what it implies

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I sure am glad that we live in modern political reality where people aren't constantly climbing to the ranks until their final stop is having their lives ruined and destroyed by the existing monarch.

Hold on my editor is handing me a note-

Who is this Donald Trump fellow??

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I know the Harkonnen’s are evil and all but really how are they not running out of servants? Paul could have just waited and they’d probably depopulate Geidi Prime themselves with the rate they kill them. Darth Vader is a safer boss, at least he only killed you when you screwed up.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

He never said I will bend like a reed in the wind.

It's bullshit and ruined the movie for me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

I know the Harkonnen’s are evil and all but really how are they not running out of servants? Paul could have just waited and they’d probably depopulate Geidi Prime themselves with the rate they kill them. Darth Vader is a safer boss, at least he only killed you when you screwed up.

They rule entire planets with an iron fist, are worshiped as living gods and have their entire society shaped in their image. And they're actually toned down from the books, like when the Baron orders Feyd to murder his entire harem with his bare hands as punishment. That's feudal society for ya.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Ultra Carp

MrMojok posted:

Maybe. The mentat definitely got with it either way

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

kalel posted:

(Waiting) to reclaim their water
(Waiting) to retake the city
(Waiting) to follow the worms
(Waiting) to put on a stillsuit
(Waiting) to drive out the weaklings
(Waiting) to blow up their shield walls and start holy wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtM97MQ2-lI

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
*sweating profusely, having flashbacks to paolo and water worms and hyperspice*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The whole black sun thing is so loving interesting to me. I want to know more about dark stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The whole black sun thing is so loving interesting to me. I want to know more about dark stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwISbJfRNz0