Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bubblyblubber posted:

you open up the machinery compartment in the no-globe and all that's inside is a tiny hosed up paolo ghola shrugging and going "it's a living" in a high pitched munchkin voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tw6XnG1oXs

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sweet Zombie Jesus!!! :lol:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m sure this is all AI bullshit but sure why not.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It is. The channel (and some other clones) are making lots of these for various movies. It's a dumb gimmick but figured it was worth a post.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Dune 2 looked and sounded great, but would have been way better with a completely different cast (except keep Stellan Skarsgård), I dunno who, just, not them. Also it could have been under two hours.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What an insane take.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ddiddles posted:

Dune 2 looked and sounded great, but would have been way better with a completely different cast (except keep Stellan Skarsgård), I dunno who, just, not them.

LOL

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like if you're going to argue the entire movie is miscast you should probably at least have some idea of who you want cast.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
chalemet did Turning Into Space Hitler real good and zendaya did Being An Actual Character Unlike In The Novel also real good, i have no complaints

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I never said it was a good take

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Muppets Take Arrakis

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mister Speaker posted:

The Muppets Take Arrakis

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

The Muppets Take Arrakis

all of the characters are muppets except paul, who is played by michael caine

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I probably should have specified the main cast, everyone else was good and believable. Willy wonka and zenyada are not good actors, Josh Brolin is "Josh Brolin" in every movie he's in, and Bardem seemed to be the only one hamming it up for some reason, even though he's usually one of the best in every other movie he's in.

Spice must flow, much like my bad opinions.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I thought the Helen Mohiam character was funny. She had a nearly Trumpian level of commitment to every disaster.

"Maybe Paul is still alive, don't tell the emperor"

"Sure I wiped out the Atreides bloodline and I was right to do it"

"Your father loses the throne either way"

"We don't take a side, we plan"

In the books, Paul's sister has her killed. Final words probably, "I'm still the puppetmas... ACK"

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 12, 2024

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
it cannot be stressed enough that the correct way to interpret the dune books is as farces where every single character is drastically stupider than they portray and view themselves as

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I thought Chalomet at least sold "twink Hitler" well enough, and Zendaya isn't great but they had good chemistry at least

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ddiddles posted:

I probably should have specified the main cast, everyone else was good and believable. Willy wonka and zenyada are not good actors, Josh Brolin is "Josh Brolin" in every movie he's in, and Bardem seemed to be the only one hamming it up for some reason, even though he's usually one of the best in every other movie he's in.

Spice must flow, much like my bad opinions.

Never heard someone say Chalamet is a bad actor before now. I can’t imagine how much semuta you’d have to take to find these opinions

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol at saying he's a bad actor. He's incredible

saying I can't stand that insufferable twink is at least a defendable position but saying he's a bad actor is just straight up false

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

saying I can't stand that insufferable twink is at least a defendable position but saying he's a bad actor is just straight up false

Good actor + filled the role of what was meant to be a smaller guy taking the moniker of a desert mouse

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Bubblyblubber posted:

it cannot be stressed enough that the correct way to interpret the dune books is as farces where every single character is drastically stupider than they portray and view themselves as

I like how the plans within plans is that the emperor gets Duke Leto's enemy to back stab him.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Was the main villain supposed to be laughably inept in the books, he's all hyped up, kills two drugged prisoners, and almost gets owned by a guy whos probably been in that cell for a long time.

The very next fight he just gets fuckin owned and dies lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If anything they put relatively more work into building him up in the movie, believe it or not

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I will say that whole sequence on that planet was one of the coolest things i've seen, made me wish I hadn't skipped out on seeing it in the theater. I have a decent home setup but I feel like being surrounded by all that sound would have been awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Frank was a genius and I won't stand for this slander

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jewmanji posted:

Never heard someone say Chalamet is a bad actor before now. I can’t imagine how much semuta you’d have to take to find these opinions
The movies would all be better with a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. But that’s true of most movies.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ddiddles posted:

Was the main villain supposed to be laughably inept in the books, he's all hyped up, kills two drugged prisoners, and almost gets owned by a guy whos probably been in that cell for a long time.

The protagonist family is well defined. The antagonist roles are shared by a sea of people. Mostly Harkonnen, Corrino and Bene Gesserit. The movie added suspense to the last fight but in the books the Baron is killed by a little kid, Paul doesn't take a scratch when he kills Feyd, Rabban is killed "off screen", and the Emperor is forced quickly into total submission.

Which is to say, Feyd was not a main antagonist.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I thought Chalamet and Zendaya were fantastic. TBH the only person on the cast that I thought was kind of weak was Walken. He seemed like he was in another movie, or was filmed completely on green screens and composited in. Zero chemistry with anyone (and Pugh tried! She was excellent too).

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

priznat posted:

TBH the only person on the cast that I thought was kind of weak was Walken.

Completely 100% agreed. He can't turn off the Walken voice, and sure, but it instantly breaks the immersion.

I hate referencing the Lynch version but that emperor walked around, said thing in the tone of a politician. Instead we had Super Recognizable Actor that will never escape his typecast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ddiddles posted:

Yes. In the novel it's worth noting he has literally no chance of winning the final duel. His narrative purpose is to be a human Gom Jabbar and test Paul in front of the watchers. Paul made the right choice to not get himself fuckin' shanked by Count Fenring (sir Not Appearing In This Film) but Feyd was a dumbass who was reasonably good at fighting and bad at everything else and got played like a fiddel by Thawat. (Also Sir Not Appearing In This Film.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Scags McDouglas posted:

Completely 100% agreed. He can't turn off the Walken voice, and sure, but it instantly breaks the immersion.

I hate referencing the Lynch version but that emperor walked around, said thing in the tone of a politician. Instead we had Super Recognizable Actor that will never escape his typecast.

Yeah it wasn't only that it was Walken, he looked just super old and tired and it made me a little sad which took me out even more apart from the fact that he can play stuff only one way. He was amazing in stuff like Pulp fiction or True Romance but man, no not as the emporer! Lynch version Jose Ferrer was fantastic I thought (even though he didn't resemble the book description) in his (obviously unearned) military style uniform etc..

"Bring in that floating fat man" was an all timer line as well :haw:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ImpAtom posted:

His narrative purpose is to be a human Gom Jabbar and test Paul in front of the watchers.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of it that way before- but it definitely works.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

priznat posted:

he looked just super old and tired

I kinda thought that was the point. He knows he's beat, and he would rather live out his days as grand-father in law to the emperor while locked away on a garden planet.

Beats dying on a hot ball of lovely dirt in the rear end end of nowhere.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rxe18wpieR1vmobp0_720.mp4

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I shall be known among you as Paul Third Cat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No no, this is like the other tribal desert dwellers from the sci fi desert planet.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

https://x.com/CBMovieFan/status/1779479169266577433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Stillgar almost forgets to say it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJuyUIKO3c