Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Sometimes i feel like I'm not smart enough for a direction like that, and sometime I think Villeneuve doesn't fully understand how a native english speaker talks and can't tell the difference. There's large sections of the movie where its just great and engrossing, and just a few moments like that one where I just wonder how a movie thats so meticulously crafted just kinda went with those takes.

Wow this post is starting to get longer than dune, I'll stop saying bad things cause it was one of my favorite movies to watch for the first time, it all just looks so good, I want a Giedi Prime movie after part iii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is gonna end in actual purpose-made sex toys, aint it

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ddiddles posted:

sometime I think Villeneuve doesn't fully understand how a native english speaker talks and can't tell the difference.

What are you even talking about dude?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's nothing more authentically Dune than people talking like weirdos.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Most of the bad dialogue in these movies was from people talking too normally. Like Leto feel-good bumbling about how Paul will still be his son even if he sucks. Or when Jessica tells Paul that escaping from a worm was “insane” like they just rode a zipline or some poo poo. or when he’s “well actually”-ing Zendaya about desert walking. Give me a loving break. If the Atreides were that bougie the Fremen would have broken them up for spare parts.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

you'll still be the only thing I ever needed you to be... my son. Even if you've got no rizz

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's nothing more authentically Dune than people talking like weirdos.

Ayy-ihh! They speak the truth of it! Like a reed bending in the sieve among rabbits

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We had a friend over to watch the 4-hour Sand Diver cut of Lynch's Dune on Sunday. I'd never seen this cut before, and she'd never read the books or seen any of the adaptations.

It was crazy. I had no idea they filmed so many scenes of people infodumping. But they also cut some really great shots of dunes and spaceships and prescient visions.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The scene in 2 where Jessica describes the inevitability of the water of life test, she was too colloquial. Her speech was not nearly as well crafted, nor elegant, as most of her prior dialogue.

Also, Stilgar's jokes are awful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

skasion posted:

Most of the bad dialogue in these movies was from people talking too normally. Like Leto feel-good bumbling about how Paul will still be his son even if he sucks. Or when Jessica tells Paul that escaping from a worm was “insane” like they just rode a zipline or some poo poo. or when he’s “well actually”-ing Zendaya about desert walking. Give me a loving break. If the Atreides were that bougie the Fremen would have broken them up for spare parts.

If anything I think it's fitting that all these characters are huge dorks whenever they try to talk like normal people. Of course they're that bougie, they are literal feudal nobility. Paul is just lucky that he's cute.

Actually come to think of it maybe that's why Jessica and Leto got along so well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything I think it's fitting that all these characters are huge dorks whenever they try to talk like normal people. Of course they're that bougie, they are literal feudal nobility. Paul is just lucky that he's cute.

Actually come to think of it maybe that's why Jessica and Leto got along so well.

Bourgeoisie and aristocracy are not the same thing. Paul grew up in a castle with slaves to cater to his every need. He had no friends growing up, only professionals who trained him to survive so he could someday embody his father’s role. He and everyone around him take for granted that his life will always be under threat and that he will succeed in meeting the threat or else die like an animal. The book’s Leto isn’t a cuddly modern suburban dad who would be quietly disappointed but still supportive if his son, say, decided to drop out of NYU to become a full-time actor after giving a bunch of people chlamydia. He’s a ruthless absolutist at the head of a private military who employs men with titles like “master of assassins”. His motivational chat with his son before they move includes a bit where he tells Paul that he, Paul, was secretly raised to be a human computer because that will make him a “formidable” Duke. That is, better able to compete with his political enemies in the giant interplanetary cold war that he will some day have to take over for himself. It also includes the charming advice that, while he would rather Paul never had to kill anyone, if he has to kill he should kill however he can. Book Leto loves his son, but he is not willing to accept the possibility that Paul will fail to live up to his expectations, because it would mean his death and probably everyone else’s as well.

Like, part of the innate humor of Dune is that Paul fits right in among a nation of cutthroat savages.

I get why Villeneuve and his script guys did all this obviously, but it still disappoints me bc it shows the level of lazy assumption or downright polemic on their part about what will be “relatable” or “sympathetic” to the audience.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 16, 2024

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

The scene in 2 where Jessica describes the inevitability of the water of life test, she was too colloquial. Her speech was not nearly as well crafted, nor elegant, as most of her prior dialogue.

Also, Stilgar's jokes are awful.

Stilgar's jokes are wonderful. The movie doesn't need to be 2.5 hrs of solid dour misery

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the most important aspect of the joking is that theres not even a segue into the nutjob fanaticism, stilgar just keeps on saying the same stuff and the rest of the movie brings in the nutjob fanaticism. the fanatic religion equivalent of slowly realizing that the 4chan poster means every word of what he says

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and as has been pointed out, Stilgar's nutjob religious fundamentalism is being actively rewarded and fulfilled. Jesus has come to him as prophecied and is actively leading him to the promised land. King Arthur has returned from Avalon, Optimus Prime has come to light his darkest hour, etc. In most other stories we'd see a character like him suffering as his faith is tested, and having his own arc of going crazy or losing faith or whatever, but the point of this story is that the scariest option is that everything goes exactly as prophecied and he never has cause to question his beliefs. It absolutely is Life of Brian's jokes about messianic prophecies but played straight-faced.

And of course Paul has a measure of arrogance about his skills, because he's spent his entire life being trained by masters in all kinds of different skills, and the Atreides court famously has some of the best in the galaxy. And he's secretly trained in brain math magic and space witch voice magic on top of that. I also got the vibe that he's actually curious about how the walking without rhythm works, since he's heard theory about it as described by non-Fremen but this is the first time he's actually learned about it from a Fremen, but Chani isn't interested in conversation at that moment.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 17, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
literally call him mahdi and can't be bothered to use islamic references smdh

call him isa if you're gonna use jesus as islamic reference

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A surprisingly accurate picture of "working class" Englishmen. :stare:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

this thread goes to poo poo when a new movie drops and that makes sense but god i'm not gonna miss the movieposters

finally working through part 2 and I actually love what they're doing. Where it diverges is cool. Getting to see so many Dune things brought to a visual storytelling medium competently, much less at all, is rad. All the little things in this adaptation that we dont even get a whiff of in the Lynch or Sci-Fi stories!!!

But it has the same problem the first movie has, in that in order to get to the end of the story, we are watching a three hour montage highlight reel, and I wish this was a miniseries with about 6 more hours of beef on it ngl

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nice moviepost op

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Luv me black sun, 'ate the traydeez. Simple as.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

this thread goes to poo poo when a new movie drops and that makes sense but god i'm not gonna miss the movieposters

I know right. like this fucker here:

Riot Bimbo posted:

finally working through part 2 and I actually love what they're doing. Where it diverges is cool. Getting to see so many Dune things brought to a visual storytelling medium competently, much less at all, is rad. All the little things in this adaptation that we dont even get a whiff of in the Lynch or Sci-Fi stories!!!

But it has the same problem the first movie has, in that in order to get to the end of the story, we are watching a three hour montage highlight reel, and I wish this was a miniseries with about 6 more hours of beef on it ngl

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Bubblyblubber posted:

it cannot be stressed enough that the correct way to interpret the dune books is as farces where every single character is drastically stupider than they portray and view themselves as

The Duneing-Kruger Effect

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all affairs of state should have benny hill as a backing tune, and dune is about affairs of state

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

as an avid bookposter I can assure you that my faction is even more scorned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bob dobbs is dead posted:

literally call him mahdi and can't be bothered to use islamic references smdh

call him isa if you're gonna use jesus as islamic reference

The point is I'm using references closer to your typical point of view you loving nerd

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the whole point of herbert writing dune was to not do that, and have the distant future be really unfamiliar and foreign to us

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Alien because it’s familiar. No one knows where Idaho is. The Ixians don’t know that their name means 9. Reminds me of Wolfe.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Gene Wolfe does it better, simple as

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Finally saw Part Two all the way through.

Really good stuff. The way Alia is handled was pretty loving good. It's confusing in a movie that really is all about showing over telling, for rebecca furgusson to mostly create Alia through her own acting, but as unnerving as Lynch Baby Alia was, it would've been loving way out of place in this adaptation to try and have an adult-talking baby by way of child actor or uncanny valley

Stilgar as a fanatic whose faith is being actively rewarded is really great if only for the fact you just don't see that, loving ever. Religion is always a delusion and fanatical faith is never rewarded in cinema, and it was rad to see for that reason.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Finally saw TWONC on the weekend and it was rad with some quibbles, ie, I missed Alia and I felt that Paul could have actually, you know, talked to Chani at the end. I loved Walker as Shaddam even if he felt like a doddering old man instead of a 71-year-old who looked 35 but I really felt Alia's absence during that scene as well as Shaddam verbally destroying the Baron.

That said, I will cheerfully sacrifice all that on the altar of Geidi Prime because holy poo poo piss. Loved Chani and her friend making fun of Stilgar, loved Paul's first ride on a worm, loved Jessica's Reverend Mother outfits, LOVED how they made the Water of Life.

I re-read Dune and Messiah over the last 2 days and got a good chunk into Children and I had really forgotten how bad they are. Like, this may be a controversial opinion in this thread but: I have read a decent amount of Herbert's stuff and with the exception of Dune, God-Emperor, and Hellstrom's Hive, he kind of sucked as a writer.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
herbert wasn't like terry pratchett, who was basically a human factory that took in coffee and outputted novels that slapped. he was an incredibly inconsistent dude

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
you try writing with only half the blood going to your brain and see how well you do, hot-shot

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
boner induced hypoxia is a real and serious condition that horribly affects all scifi writers, you inconsiderate monster

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

herbert wasn't like terry pratchett, who was basically a human factory that took in coffee and outputted novels that slapped. he was an incredibly inconsistent dude

Pterry was great until the Alzheimer's kicked in.

Noli Timere Messorem :pressf:

Outside of the Dune series i only read a few of his books and he came across as just one of many scifi writers from the 60s-80s.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

Pterry was great until the Alzheimer's kicked in.

Snuff and Raising Steam are really bittersweet reads for me, the few flashes of old terry are great but just highlight how not really there he is for the bulk of the rest.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Jesus Christ, when Farad'n meets Jessica and Idaho he's wearing shorts and an elf-silk jacket.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Mad Hamish posted:

Jesus Christ, when Farad'n meets Jessica and Idaho he's wearing shorts and an elf-silk jacket.

Coincidentally that's what I'm rockin today

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Page 297 of my copy of Children has both the adult beefswelling and the girdershape of ecstasy, a scene in which a creepy prescient 9-year-old imagines loving the Fremen woman keeping him captive.

Why was every male scifi author from the 70s Frank Herbert like this?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bubblyblubber posted:

Snuff and Raising Steam are really bittersweet reads for me, the few flashes of old terry are great but just highlight how not really there he is for the bulk of the rest.

I felt the change in Unseen Academicals... it was not The Man.

I've had a hard time going near his books since he died, a weird thing to happen.

Mad Hamish posted:

Why was every male scifi author from the 70s Frank Herbert like this?!

Dirty Old Man Syndrome strikes again... see Heinlein etc. :stare: