Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
did one person do all the art for the covers and poo poo? cuz man, their aesthetic is so loving alien and evocative that it really helps the mood and contributes to making this world so alien and mysterious. chapterhouse might be my favorite and ive never even read the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Milo and POTUS posted:

did one person do all the art for the covers and poo poo? cuz man, their aesthetic is so loving alien and evocative that it really helps the mood and contributes to making this world so alien and mysterious. chapterhouse might be my favorite and ive never even read the book

Conversely, this is totally poo poo:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Conversely, this is totally poo poo:

lmfao jesus chrsit

*opens up milkshake and twists some poo poo around and adds a couple of sandy textures, exports as .jpg*

*photoshops a bowl of fruit*

This right here, this is a good audiobook cover.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

its even more insulting because its the alternative to this

which looks like someone got giorgio de chirico to do it. its just depressing

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

dali was kinda a tool from everything ive read about him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgtUO6GmR3w

Yeah, a massive pompous prick.

Personally, I have no idea why Hebert included the lasguns at all, considering it's fairly obvious he only included shields to get away from modern warfare. But using the chain reaction would likely be an extremely bad idea in most circumstances, because the explosion is supposed to be atomic in nature and atomics are a huge no-no in Dune. Add to that that all space travel is handled by the guild who can in fact deny transportation to you and you can get completely and absolutely hosed over if you break the rules.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tallgeese posted:

What's wrong with it? Certainly stands out.

Especially in a thread that's fundamentally about space drugs.

I was thinking the Silent Majority did fine work yet again, but what do I know.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Where did stone burners fit into that?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

its even more insulting because its the alternative to this

which looks like someone got giorgio de chirico to do it. its just depressing

I used to have this book cover as the copy in my house. It was really good.

Altho this is the same dune book i have, it even has promos for the movie on the back side. It's kinda cheeseball but I like it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I want worm Leto from the cover of God emperor as a tattoo at some point

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

so do i

if you know what i mean

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

Leto become a incel for the good of humanity

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

I want worm Leto from the cover of God emperor as a tattoo at some point...

...on your dick right? That’d be p sweet but getting the face done will be painful

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

free hubcaps posted:

...on your dick right? That’d be p sweet but getting the face done will be painful

I'm a lady.

I was thinking as a sleeve coiled around my arm or something.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TBH i could see a Leto II tatoo working as well.

If I ever get a dune tattoo i will try to find something easy enough to lie about, i dunno if i could explain away leto ii without coming off as a nerd so i'll probably never get it but i could see it working for someone else.

i mean, i come off as a nerd without a Dune tattoo. i don't need permanent nerd ink to make it more obvious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
there are a lot of weird symbols and language stuff in the dune encyclopedia, so if i was going to get an obscure nerd tattoo, that's where i would look.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i still have a box of cards from the old dune CCG. i loved the art for combining the best of the lynch movie with more directly book-inspired stuff.

i don't know what's with the woman in the bikini but overall good stuff

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

basic hitler posted:

TBH i could see a Leto II tatoo working as well.

If I ever get a dune tattoo i will try to find something easy enough to lie about, i dunno if i could explain away leto ii without coming off as a nerd so i'll probably never get it but i could see it working for someone else.

i mean, i come off as a nerd without a Dune tattoo. i don't need permanent nerd ink to make it more obvious.

I already have a reboot tattoo and ppl keep asking me if I'm samoan. Normies are really bad at identifying nerd stuff.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've really been thinking about it, and i'm basically convinced that Lynch Dune is a good movie, but that it does have flaws you'd have to be blind to ignore. It feels like most of those flaws are easy to plant on the De Laurentiis group who produced it. Weirding modules are a weird choice but i understand why Lynch didn't want to actually adapt Weirding Way Space Kung-Fu in 1984.

I just have to wonder... whose fault is the rain at the end? Surely lynch read the book and didn't put the rain there... That had to be a producer's decision?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think Toto did a good job with the movie.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah same the theme that plays when paul rides shai hulud owns.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm pretty sure i watched that scene right when i was hitting puberty and somewhere a switch got thrown and it determined my sexual identity

twink-snack kyle maclachlan in a skin-tight rubber suit riding a giant worm i mean COME ON

basic hitler posted:

I've really been thinking about it, and i'm basically convinced that Lynch Dune is a good movie, but that it does have flaws you'd have to be blind to ignore. It feels like most of those flaws are easy to plant on the De Laurentiis group who produced it. Weirding modules are a weird choice but i understand why Lynch didn't want to actually adapt Weirding Way Space Kung-Fu in 1984.

I just have to wonder... whose fault is the rain at the end? Surely lynch read the book and didn't put the rain there... That had to be a producer's decision?
i had problems with that for a long time, but i changed my mind. it's a bit of a leap, but it's not a huge leap. paul practically has god-like powers in the novel by the end.

and "and history will call us wives" is blehhh. that's not a great ending. paul making it rain while his eyes roll into the back of his head as toto rocks the gently caress out in space -- that's an epic fucken ending.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 11, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLU_m53hflo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i wonder how lucky i was to be looking at a girl the second my nads dropped. i wonder if i had not gone to camp goddard with the rest of my class, and had instead been at home all week.... would i have also been watching kyle ride the worm and feel an emotional rush intense and overwhelming enough to turn me hard gay?

One does wonder.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Why does Blooper need a weapon?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Could paul atreides see the potential futures where he had been gay?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

basic hitler posted:

i wonder how lucky i was to be looking at a girl the second my nads dropped. i wonder if i had not gone to camp goddard with the rest of my class, and had instead been at home all week.... would i have also been watching kyle ride the worm and feel an emotional rush intense and overwhelming enough to turn me hard gay?

One does wonder.
yeah that's how it works

it's science

basic hitler posted:

Could paul atreides see the potential futures where he had been gay?
hmm. i hadn't considered that. it's possible.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

yeah that's how it works

it's science

hmm. i hadn't considered that. it's possible.

It's totally how it works. One day your body drops a hormone based atomic bomb and you become attracted to whatever it imprints on your brain!

Of course this doesn't explain why i would also gently caress kyle machlachlan in Dune

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

basic hitler posted:

It's totally how it works. One day your body drops a hormone based atomic bomb and you become attracted to whatever it imprints on your brain!

Of course this doesn't explain why i would also gently caress kyle machlachlan in Dune
cultural conditioning / implants from missonaria protectiva

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"Hmm cousin.. Being a supreme wormly rear end in a top hat, you will give me the sardukar and in exchange i promise to not wipe your line out and i will rename you "breaking of the habit". Deal?"

"poo poo... Uh... Ok."

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

basic hitler posted:

I used to have this book cover as the copy in my house. It was really good.

Altho this is the same dune book i have, it even has promos for the movie on the back side. It's kinda cheeseball but I like it

I love the art of this cover, I have it as my desktop background.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the skinny on the remake, is it actually in preproduction? Is Villeneuve at the helm still? Blade Runner gave me huge hope that the remake will be incredible, at least visually.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i still have a box of cards from the old dune CCG. i loved the art for combining the best of the lynch movie with more directly book-inspired stuff.

i don't know what's with the woman in the bikini but overall good stuff

Reading the gameplay affects on those cards has me imagining some impossibly complicated Machiavellian game that I really want to play.

Like Calvinball and Chardee MacDennis had a baby that was a card game.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Speaker posted:

What's the skinny on the remake, is it actually in preproduction? Is Villeneuve at the helm still? Blade Runner gave me huge hope that the remake will be incredible, at least visually.
Last news from late November is that Villeneuve is working on the screenplay.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The genius all-powerful emperor coming down onto the planet for no reason in order to get ambushed was insanely stupid.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Shaddam wasn't really a genius and far more ego driven than anything else.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Life ain't nothin' but Fremen and sietches.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Ive always felt Dune was overrated. I'd rather read Stanislaw Lem or Phillip K. Dick then Herbert's boring rear end prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I never understood why every character was so impressed by Duncan Idaho. He never did anything