Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The whole black sun thing is so loving interesting to me. I want to know more about dark stars

The black ink fireworks were so loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's a fun movie. Sure, it's a bunch of film students' thesis, but those students include John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon. It's funny, it's got some interesting ideas in it, and it looks surprisingly good for having been done on film student budget levels.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
List of terrible Harkonnen jobs
Baron-greaser
Surgically augmented navigator
Rabban's therapist
Blade gimp
Concubine (regular)
Concubine (murder)
Dude Who Runs In The Giant Hamster Wheel That Powers A Spice Harvester

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tree Bucket posted:

List of terrible Harkonnen jobs
Baron-greaser
Surgically augmented navigator
Rabban's therapist
Blade gimp
Concubine (regular)
Concubine (murder)
Dude Who Runs In The Giant Hamster Wheel That Powers A Spice Harvester

Easily Killed Soldier

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Well at least the Baron keeps the murdertrains running on time

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
List of good Harkonnen jobs
Thopter pilot
Arena announcer
Arena stomp-chant choreographer
Spider freak
Fireworks dude

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Antiquated Pants posted:

My Dune loving friend saw the movie and was so mad about the changes that she declared it the worst movie she'd ever seen and will in no way endorse or see the third one... Like drat, I understand having critiques and/or disappointments because things had to be cut, but it's a movie adaptation and things always have to be cut. Even if you take the DUNE out of it, it's a great film in general. The effects, both digital and practical were awesome, I am always in awe at how cool lasguns are, and was giggling in my seat when they did the worm invasion.

The explosion momentarily contained inside the ornithopter shield was a thing of beauty. I was disappointed that we didn't get a creepy off-putting child that spoke like an adult and stabbed the baron, sure. I love the weird poo poo that comes with this series, but I understand that Villeneuve didn't want to do a big time skip after already having a montage. It makes sense cinematically to do a time skip between films, which is clearly planned since they already cast a grown Alia in a vision. Instead, it was shown that Alia was basically controlling Jessica from the womb by the end of the movie... which is Frankly creepy enough for me!

Tbf he could’ve made running into gurney a big time skip and then we see Alia now a wee lamb and we’re all like woah nice work gurney staying alive that long

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 31, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This is incredible

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yea dark star's rough around the edges but you can see the early flashes of what made carpenter and o'bannon such an amazing director and effects artist, respectively. It's cynically funny in the same sort of way dr strangelove is.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wanna see this movie about the working stiffs whose job it is to blow up planets.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Thopter pilot

some restrictions apply, see section a: transportation of Rabban

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you really wonder what was the general fatality rate of servants, etc of stalin or pol pot. couldn't have been 0

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Thopter pilot
Arena announcer
Arena stomp-chant choreographer
Spider freak
Fireworks dude

I assume the guy in one of the goofy black suits during Feyd's arena battle that barbed the opponent and got yelled at probably had an extremely bad day after the stadium filtered out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Spider Freak department's gotta talent scout from somewhere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
implicature is that that's yueh's wife

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you really wonder what was the general fatality rate of servants, etc of stalin or pol pot. couldn't have been 0

Stalin wasn't especially rough on servants as much as he brutalized his cabinet members. Everybody was forced to stay up until dawn every day for years watching movies and drinking while Papa Joe played incredibly mean spirited pranks on them. And by drinking I mean inhuman amounts of alcohol until they were sick. On purpose, over and over again

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

galagazombie posted:

I wanna see this movie about the working stiffs whose job it is to blow up planets.

It's a good watch. Looks like it's on the free streaming services (Tubi et al), cheap rentals on a couple of services, and free on Prime with a 7-day trial of sub secondary service I've never heard of.

Speaking of Stalin, The Death of Stalin is an incredible movie. It's all comic actors but they play the power struggle straight. That makes for an oddly surreal air to it, but it works so incredibly well. Most of the same places but I've heard of the secondar yon Prime, and also Hulu.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mllaneza posted:

It's a good watch. Looks like it's on the free streaming services (Tubi et al), cheap rentals on a couple of services, and free on Prime with a 7-day trial of sub secondary service I've never heard of.

Speaking of Stalin, The Death of Stalin is an incredible movie. It's all comic actors but they play the power struggle straight. That makes for an oddly surreal air to it, but it works so incredibly well. Most of the same places but I've heard of the secondar yon Prime, and also Hulu.

I love Death of Stalin, and the variety of British accents was something I thought was great. Having Zhukov speak in a Yorkshire accent was too perfect. Much better than if they were putting on fake Russian accents or whatever. Jason Isaacs steals the movie imo.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Also, re Death of Stalin, the dumber it gets the truer it gets.

They toned Zhukov's medals waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down, mind.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

implicature is that that's yueh's wife

people say this so often it's become a truism. there's nothing to suggest this is the case. I suppose in the context of the movie, it makes yueh's betrayal less out of left field because it's been "set up" for the audience. but otherwise it's just connecting two dots on opposite sides of the paper

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yea for it to be an implication there would have to be some vague reference or tidbit in the text or film suggesting as much, it's just a fan theory. Is it possible? Sure, but nothing directly implies it afaik.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I figure if it was, Mohaim would've made a comment about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

Hitchhiker's Guide?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

One of the things I love about dune's universe relative to the majority of sci fi settings is the fact that between the guild and the ai laws technology is relatively heavily proscribed, but genetic engineering and biology are commonplace. I guess it'd stand to reason that hosed up humanoid chimeras would be somewhat commonplace in hedonistic, sadistic societies like the Harkonnen worlds.

Tangentiallt, anyone itt read Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky? I kinda loved how the emergents relied on a caste of mentat-like living computers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always felt an intentional irony is that they supposedly banned computers to stop 'machine thinking' but ended up being much worse with just turning people into machines instead.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I figure if it was, Mohaim would've made a comment about it.

I seemed like Mohiam cut through the bullshit and made it leave because she knew "it" would understand a voice command.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

free hubcaps posted:

Yea for it to be an implication there would have to be some vague reference or tidbit in the text or film suggesting as much, it's just a fan theory. Is it possible? Sure, but nothing directly implies it afaik.

I think it doesn't matter if it's literally Wanna but it's absolutely supposed to imply what "the Harkonnens have my wife imprisoned" means

free hubcaps posted:

One of the things I love about dune's universe relative to the majority of sci fi settings is the fact that between the guild and the ai laws technology is relatively heavily proscribed, but genetic engineering and biology are commonplace. I guess it'd stand to reason that hosed up humanoid chimeras would be somewhat commonplace in hedonistic, sadistic societies like the Harkonnen worlds.

Tangentiallt, anyone itt read Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky? I kinda loved how the emergents relied on a caste of mentat-like living computers.

I liked how Traitor Baru Comorant has a early modern fantasy where gunpowder hasn't been invented and so the killer tech at sea is Greek fire and rockets, but medicine and psychology is like mid 19th century (including lots of pseudoscience like Lamarckianism)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scags McDouglas posted:

I seemed like Mohiam cut through the bullshit and made it leave because she knew "it" would understand a voice command.

I thought it was more The Voice basically cuts straight through mere language and hits straight to the 'OBEY' button in the brain. Kind of the whole thing is it being brute-force mind control/hypnotism that short-circuits the conscious mind, though it can be a bit unpredictable, and people tend to be pissed once it wears off. Heh, see how Jessica has Paul practice it in a safe and casual setting- because you want to make drat well sure it works before breaking it out in hectic circumstances.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
We were somewhere around Sietch Tabr on the edge of the desert when the water of life began to take hold. I remember saying something like "Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find me there, staring out at you!" And suddenly there was a terrible beefswelling all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge ornithopters, all swooping and screeching and diving around the worm, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the hooks in to Arrakeen.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We were somewhere around Sietch Tabr on the edge of the desert when the water of life began to take hold. I remember saying something like "Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find me there, staring out at you!" And suddenly there was a terrible beefswelling all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge ornithopters, all swooping and screeching and diving around the worm, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the hooks in to Arrakeen.

Holy poo poo, there I am!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

free hubcaps posted:

They call their state the Emergency, it’s great. An excellent book.
There’s a line that’s stuck in my head for decades, with one character looking at incredibly elaborate “mentat” art and thinking “happy people don’t make art like that”

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always felt an intentional irony is that they supposedly banned computers to stop 'machine thinking' but ended up being much worse with just turning people into machines instead.

Related to this, I always got the impression that the butlerian jihad was meant to be a human vs human conflict, and that it specifically a some sort of reactionary anti capitalist movement. The motto of the caste system having “A place for every man”, the phrase “man shall not be replaced”, the slide back into pre-industrial social structures. It all speaks to me of a civilization where the robots literally took everyone’s jobs and made the working poor “obsolete”. I’m imagining a version of the society from Soylent Green basically. It’s not hard to imagine such a people being whipped into a religious frenzy of Luddism.
Peoples identities in the imperium being almost entirely dependent upon their “task” as you pointed out, makes it seem like they designed their society specifically to be kind of frozen in time so nothing would ever have to worry about being traded in for the next years model.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

galagazombie posted:

Related to this, I always got the impression that the butlerian jihad was meant to be a human vs human conflict, and that it specifically a some sort of reactionary anti capitalist movement. The motto of the caste system having “A place for every man”, the phrase “man shall not be replaced”, the slide back into pre-industrial social structures. It all speaks to me of a civilization where the robots literally took everyone’s jobs and made the working poor “obsolete”. I’m imagining a version of the society from Soylent Green basically. It’s not hard to imagine such a people being whipped into a religious frenzy of Luddism.
Peoples identities in the imperium being almost entirely dependent upon their “task” as you pointed out, makes it seem like they designed their society specifically to be kind of frozen in time so nothing would ever have to worry about being traded in for the next years model.

it was the opposite, robots and ais made the dune universe a utopia that destroyed the entire concept of capitalism.

then butler comes along and argues that all these robots and ais are limiting true human potential, he gets a full on religious jihad going, the human race zealously smashes all thinking machines and collectively opens its third eye, and 10,000 years later we have vibrating vagina hypnosis and fish men floating in gas pods.

#slidingdoors

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Spent Sunday drinking Water of Life

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

galagazombie posted:

Near the beginning of the book Mohiam explains, "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them."

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Elukka posted:

Near the beginning of the book Mohiam explains, "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them."

Yea exactly. It seems to me like a rebellion more against the people and social systems that owned and enabled the robots than against the robots themselves. There’s a quote in the appendix that mentions that the Butlerians slaughtered billions of people, and I somehow doubt they counted robots as people.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The culture novels are actually a distant prequel to dune

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the actual implication is that it was closer to the actual Luddites. And also given Dune was originally a riff on/counterpoint to Foundation, I think intended to be presented as the point of divergence to robot-centric sci-fi where technology and society took a different path.

And I don't think it's meant to be a good thing; that they went after a symptom instead of the cause, destroying the labour-saving devices instead of the social structures that let the owning classes enslave the rest. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a reactionary rebellion supported or hijacked by the noble houses or their progenitors against the capitalist classes to preserve their privilege and power while claiming to be liberators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011