Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the skinny on the remake, is it actually in preproduction? Is Villeneuve at the helm still? Blade Runner gave me huge hope that the remake will be incredible, at least visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

paul_soccer10 posted:

this fremen is a real comedian

A technique involving sound.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's funny how both the Lynch adaptation and the 2000s SyFy miniseries are painfully bad in their own ways. While we all know the Lynch movie is a poorly-edited mess with too much head dialogue and some completely whack creative decisions, the miniseries just reeks of early-2000s TV-budget cornball: primitive CG, subpar acting and obviously-incomplete sets. I'm rewatching it now and I already want to turn it off ten minutes in.

I've got high hopes for the Villeneuve film(s), though - especially given a lot of the visuals in Blade Runner 2048 and Arrival. I trust that you nerds will keep me up-to-date on casting and other pre-production developments.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Communist Walrus posted:

I call mine Shai Hulud. Not because it's big, but because it has an aversion to getting wet.

"Wormsign the likes of which God himself has never seen" is a really good way to describe your erection.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Riz Ahmed and the other dudes from Four Lions as Stilgar and other Fremen with talking roles.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
nooo Brian don't do it
https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1024149405157314560?s=09

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's on Netflix, watchin' it right now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dune, Where's My Car

Hey can someone break down to me the ending of the books? I remember from some discussion here that two weird characters with extremely plain-sounding names (at least relative to most other characters in Dune) show up as harbingers of some force, possibly the return of the thinking machines? What's the deal with that? Is this in the end of Frank's work, or is it the lesser Herbert's writing?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What is the significance of the Guild Navigator's dialogue in the opening of the Lynch film:

quote:

We have just folded space from Ix. Many machines on Ix. New machines. Better than those on Richesse.

Cursory searching suggests it's actually from a later book in the series (I haven't read Dune in years, can't recall) but in any case what's the point of bringing that up to the Emperor? Weren't thinking machines purged long before the events of the books? Is it meant to imply that certain world's in the Empire are falling into decadence?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The 'water of life vending machine' scene in the extended cut is pretty cool, but yeah the whole opening scene is probably my favourite part of the film as well.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We have just folded space from Ix, and boy is my brain tired!!!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm Gurney Halleck, and this is the Slow Blade.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Timothee Chalamet was on Colbert the other night and the interview closed on his being cast as Paul. Colbert asked "what is fear?" and Chalamet didn't answer; he was either too nervous or hasn't yet read the source material. Not a good sign, but I still think he'll be fine for the role.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I heard that when the Lynch film was released, theatregoers were given pamphlets that set the stage and established characters, like ultra-detailed play programmes. Is this true? It sounds pretty far-fetched but then again the theatrical cut does kind of just throw you into the plot, Virginia Madsen's creepy monologue aside.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
water of life vending machine

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zeniel posted:

Because when I think of Dune, I think of this loving bullshit!

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/File:Cymek.jpg

Seriously. Most of the artwork (fanart, I hope) surrounding the Butlerian Jihad looks laughable, like something out of a Bionicle story.

The YouTube channel 'Ideas of Ice & Fire' at least tends to pick some really tasteful fanart to accompany their narration, but then again most of it isn't even from Dune - I was watching one of their videos on the history of space travel in the series, and the first picture was clearly from BSG. It was the Colonial One.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Shameless plug for a very old breakbeat project of mine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hey, just wanted to say I dug this! I also make electronic music and sample the gently caress out of D U N E.

My shameless plug:
https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/the-mystery-of-mysteries-2

Also one of my favorite old school techno tracks ever is EON's "Fear is the Mindkiller". I've got the 12" single for it and while the album version is great, one of the remixes is banging. Check it out if you haven't already.

In other news, I finally watched Blade Runner 2049 for the first time, and hot drat, am I stoked for the new Dune if this guy's on board (and The Author Who Shall Not Be Named keeps his grubby mitts off it). Absolutely gorgeous to watch, loved the score, and little weird details like the beehives in Vegas just reeked of a good Dune vibe in capable hands. Fingers crossed.

Thanks! That means a lot. :) I really dig your sound too, love the creepy ambient vibe and especially all the mechanical sounds.

Lynch's Dune might be one of the most sampled films ever in electronic music. Especially the 'fear is the mind killer' bit.

I feel the same way about Villeneuve's work giving high hopes for the remake. You're bang on, all I could think while watching Blade Runner 2049 was how good the new Dune is going to look - for me it was a lot of the shots of the villain's headquarters, with really warm lighting illuminating wood grains and lots of reflections of ripples in water. And yeah, the score had me gurning - the weird formant throat singing drones, all the clever nods to Vangelis, and that end credit piece had growls in it that would put Noisia to shame. If you haven't seen Arrival, check that out too. Some very divine-looking shots in that one, and the score is also excellent in giving that vibe. Zimmer or Johannsson would both be excellent choices for the new film's score.

Even though it's not really part of the book, I hope Villeneuve decides to keep in the idea from the Lynch film of weaponized sound as a key component of the Weirding Way. Something about giant sandworms emerging from the dunes with enormous line arrays mounted to them emitting SPL that literally vaporizes armies of Saudarkar just really tickles my fancy. Or maybe I've just listened to this song too many times.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 27, 2018

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Eric Andre as Feyd

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Johnny Aztec posted:

Asimov has books in every literary category except one,I think. Hell,it might be all.
Dude was prolific in writing. Something like 400ish different books.

amateur

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
He hammed it up pretty well as King John in the 2010 Robin Hood.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, Annihilation was outstanding, can't believe I forgot about his minor role in that. I wish I had read the book first, both are really good. I loved the way it was shot, everything about it had this really dreamlike quality.

EDIT for more Inside Llewyn Davis appreciation. UH-OH!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwO-k-RqNA

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
stop this

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Communist Walrus posted:

A ruse, Feyd. A trick is something a whore does for money.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Farrier Theaks posted:

And Gurney as a squat thick tank

Kai Greene as Gurney

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Sting attended a Toronto Maple Leafs game the other night (he's in town performing a musical or something) and all I could think about was how much I'd bug him with Dune comments if we were seated near each other.

"I WILL KILL HIM!!!"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I made a stupid Dune-themed shooter at a bar I used to work at. Can't remember exactly the proportions, but I think it was Kahlua or some other coffee liquor mixed with this delicious chai beverage. You'd put a litle bit of blue curaçao at the bottom and sprinkle cinnamon on top.

It was called the Chai Hulud.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 2, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Let's get this thread back on track:

Jason Mantzoukas as Jamis

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Scarlett Johansson as Shai-Hulud

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

priznat posted:

Emperor Gingerballs

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kiimo posted:

I asked for one single solitary spoiler. It's a description of the opening scene and a very brief description. I won't say what it is but it sounds very very promising.

Why are you doing this? Stop at once.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Has there been any more production news on the remake? They've started filming in Hungary and Morocco, right?

What about casting? Seems we haven't heard anything in a while, oddly enough even for some seemingly important roles. I'm wondering if they've cut out some characters or folded their roles into others to streamline the screenplay. Reading the book again, there is a fair bit of stuff that (as before with the two adaptations) would be really difficult to put to film, not worth it for the little exposition it would provide.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
this one kills only LAPD officers

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
gently caress YES HANS ZIMMER

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thinking about this soundtrack gives me wormsign the likes of which God himself has not seen.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I truly love Hans Zimmer...but isn't he a bit mainstream for Dune? Maybe I'm not thinking of the right stuff by him but the ones I am thinking of will be kickass music and very well composed but...boring

counterpoint: Blade Runner 2049

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The dinner scene definitely has some code words in it, IIRC it's Jessica who recognizes Leto using them before he takes off to deal with something.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
:spergin: but with blue eyes

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Has anyone noticed on the IMDB page for the Villeneuve film, there's a 'Stephen McKinley Harrison' listed in the cast but so far unnamed? I wonder who he's gonna play...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sebmojo posted:

City planet was a straight rip off Asimov's Trantor.

totes mcgotes

I'm re-reading the book now and the part where Jessica and Paul get ambushed by Stilgar's troop is honestly loving hilarious. The description of Jessica using the Weirding Way is so strange and vague that you're not really sure how she bested Stilgar, Stil is dropping mad disses on Jamis and going "Aiee-e-e-e!" while she's got him by the neck, and then he's just really stoked that she might teach him and his boys how to Weird.

I love the books but honestly, Frank's narration style is loving bizarre at times.