Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Scags McDouglas posted:

"En guarde!!"

"Stab Your Own Balls!!!"

credits

“May thy dick chip and shatter!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

galagazombie posted:

I think people are wrongly equating the golden path being necessary to Herbert actually advocating a “stern hand” and authoritarian government. Remember one of the most important parts of the plan was making people so sick of that very thing that they’d develop a cultural aversion to it so that no one is ever able to do it again. Plus he literally hits you over the head with the message that nothing human, only an inhuman monster, could have actually done so. I sincerely doubt that Herbert thought an immortal Jabba the Hutt who could see all possible pasts and futures was something replicate-able in the real world. Part of sci-fi is looking at how new or “impossible” things completely change the context of morality and ethics of human actions. To bring it back to what Spazzle said about Foundation, In a lot of ways GEoD is about showing how prescience doesn’t lead to benign liberal technocrats guiding man to the “right choices”, it leads to incomprehensible tyrants completely detached from standard human morality.

Honestly, the dumbest thing for me about the Golden Path is the idea of being SO tyrannical that everyone is too sick of it to ever do it again. When has "this is too terrible to ever happen again" ever stopped people? Every bad idea, no matter how terrible, always has some jackass willing to do it because they just KNOW it will work for them this time. I don't care how much of a beef-swelling dick Leto II was, he would never stop somebody else from trying to be terrible. Heck, the two following books show it happening yet again as is. If his real goal was just to scatter humanity so there would never be all the eggs in one basket, you'd think there are ways to do it that are better than "be such a bastard they flee" (which seems kind of dubious as an idea to me to begin with; hell, at minimum it'd probably work better to make them flee while the tyranny was still going, keep them scared of pursuit and running further).