Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I read Dune and loved it, but found the others too esoteric and self-fellating for my tastes.

Dune is drat good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
That's interesting, I think one of the reason's I enjoyed Dune more than any of the others was because it struck me as the one having the most cohesive and straightforward plot and characters. It had some weirdness, but it made sense given that it is set a bajillion years or whatever in the future and is easily accounted for. Messiah ramps up the weird factor at the expense of compelling plot and narrative, and the others just seem to get worse.

Dune, as you say, bounces around characters more, but the sequels bounce much more around narrative tone, and I started wondering what kind of story I was supposed to be following from one chapter to the next.

Admittedly, I am fairly dense.

edit: it was kind of like reading a Bible that was a mixture of the Torah and a Philip K Dick adaptation

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 9, 2017

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
I see that, I do, and I think that might be why Messiah and some of the other sequels left my enthusiasm dulled. Dune is so different from the others, I think, and I was expecting them all to be roughly the same in style, if not quality.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

basic hitler posted:

I think Herbert hated stagnation a lot. The fear of a stagnant humanity runs rampant through the books, it follows that if he couldn't do things slightly differently every time, he didn't really want to do it. Why write more dune stuff without changing what it's about?

I'm not trying to sell you on something you didn't like, by the way, so don't take it that way. Dune is definitely different, but I think it's different because it's relatively unfocused. It has things to say about technology, war, power, gender politics, drug abuse, asceticism versus hedonism, and a bunch of other poo poo, but it's also why it's different from the rest of the books, maybe.

Those are good points, and I think I will try re-reading the (first few) sequels in light of that. Although I think it will probably boil down to a difference in taste.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
My favorite part of Dune is when Duke Leto is explaining to Paul how he is totally wise to the Harkonnens' schemes, and how he is going to totally gently caress them with the Fremen, but just before he can do it they get betrayed and the desperate losing battle begins

that's the good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
All of the characters post-Dune are so loving alien and far removed from humanity as I know it that I cannot relate to them at all and I therefore find it very difficult to give a gently caress about them or their struggles

The rabbits in Watership Down are far more compelling