Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Harrower posted:

Suicide bombers today are a pretty major concern and the best most of them can manage is some ANFO wrapped with nails. Giving those guys nukes seems like a real problem. They were probably out of reach for the common citizenry cost wise, but it's not like the dune universe is short of wealthy malcontents. From what I can recall almost any vaguely militaristic organization had them readily available, and the governments hardly had the economy under control as there were smugglers and black markets selling stuff all over the place. I've been following dune discussions here and there for years and I've just never seen an answer that wasn't opinion and speculation. The books just sort of go along with it and never play it out which always annoyed me.

The wealthy malcontents had far more destructive things they could use than just 'rig a laser to shoot at a shield'.

Been a while since I read it, and I might be misremembering, but the reason nobody ever uses shield-and-laser for intentional mass destruction is because there were devices that were actually meant to make as big a boom as possible, and didn't do it by accident. You don't need to exploit two pieces of technology that have an unintended consequence like you're exploiting gameplay mechanics. You can just make a real bomb using the same principles. Or something far more destructive altogether. And that's actually used. Technically illegal, but it didn't stop someone from smuggling one onto the Messia's own planet.

The only scrappy terrorist underdogs group was the Fremen themselves in book one, and they didn't have access to shields and lasers. After that, the religious fanatics are the ones running things, and the people who want to shake things up are quite well funded and technologically savvy. They don't need improvised nukes duct-taped together. They have things that go beyond nukes.

And someone just running into an important person's place and firing a laser at the shielded guards was a constant worry, too.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU