Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

THE BAR posted:

Extremely cursed edition.

I remember that one had a bunch of weird misprintings in it, too, it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Johnny Aztec posted:

Look who is still pissy they didn’t have a half hour song devoted to Tom Babidinall.

it would have been rad
goldberry all up in the background doing u know what

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

FBS posted:

what was the BG gonna do with the KH anyway

The son of Feyd and an Atreides daughter wouldn't have had any trouble taking the throne, plus he would be able to tell them what was in the ~scary male~ part of Other Memory.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

the only thing i remember about children of dune was a shirtless young james mcavoy *fans self*

that and the scene where jessica teaches martial arts to harq al-ada where it's like no one was even trying to make this thing respectable

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

uber_stoat posted:

"i have mastered the three hundred steps of orgasmic amplification!"

:same:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah it's explicitly a combo of Orange order class protestantism and Catholicism, b/c herbert looked at the troubles and decided that would be a great way to synthesize a religion

Maybe it's a reference as far as the name goes (and if you believe the words of the son who will not be named), but it's explicitly a text that incorporates various fusions of Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I only remember that because the stated reason for producing said book sounded stupid, and it kind of stuck out as something Frank didn't spend enough time thinking about.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I need Tom of Finland Sardaukar from whichever version.

just the biggest erect nips on that rubber breastplate

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Leto II's choice words about THE HOMOSEXUAL took me right out of that book the first time I read it. I think I came to the charitable conclusion that it was some kind of residual trauma and hatred for the Baron coloring Leto II's outlook, but nope, that's just Frank talking through a weird worm man's mouth.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

phasmid posted:

The part where he says it's natural and for some people it's just a phase?

Hardly a giant bigot imo.
The homosexual, latent or otherwise, who maintains that condition for reasons which could be called purely psychological, tends to indulge in pain-causing behavior–seeking it for himself and inflicting it upon others.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 14, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Conflation of BDSM and homosexuality was pretty normal at the time. And today come to think of it.

Like go look at how Lawrence is portrayed in the movie about him. I really don't think it goes much farther than that.

Oooh, yeah, there's also the part in Seven Pillars of Wisdom where Lawrence ends his description of gay sex among the Arab recruits with a line about how some of them need to be hurt physically while boning. Considering all the Lawrence (and Alexander the Great) in Paul, it's kind of interesting that it's the Harkonnens that engage in homosexuality and all the weird warrior sex pop-psych stuff.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Ingmar terdman posted:

There seems to be an undercurrent of discussion among the superfans about whether the "we found Frank's notes for Dune 7" is true or just complete bullshit. At risk of breaking the thread rule does anyone have any more details or gossip about that? Note that I will not read those books no matter the answer

The Notes were the source of a lot of speculation in the 90s, and the widespread hope was that they'd be documented, curated, and released with Christopher Tolkien's work being the model. Given what we got, I'm happy believing they never existed.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Paul felt trapped because he foresaw the stagnation and extinction of humanity if he stopped the jihad, but he pretty much stopped thinking about it there. The alternative was dealing with a bunch of pissed off super-soldiers who were necessary for consolidating his rule and having to become a gross worm guy for thousands of years to actually fix the future.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Looking at that a little more closely, Paul's name comes from the Latin adjective for small/humble. Plus Alia in Arabic is supreme/exalted.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I believe there's also a suggestion that the Fish Speakers were somehow involved.

yeah, Fish Speakers were doing unbridled, powerful sexual enslavement that probably got enhanced with BG vaginal magic. there's also some Tleilaxu women angry about being turned into axlotl tanks in their history.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Leto II was possessed by Harum, a dominant ego-memory that ruled over a council of personalities.
Harum was described as having his line lost due to congenital weaknesses, which suggests his direct genes couldn't have been passed down.

A king's line fizzling out isn't incompatible with him having a lot of descendants!

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

skasion posted:

The most important canonical fact in the Dune Encyclopedia is that Fremen men are trained to orgasm without releasing fluids and that you aren’t considered a “real man” until you can do this

wouldn't the cum end up in his bladder, which he will pee out and drink later???

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Shaddak posted:

I'm not sure how this never crossed my mind before but, is Gaius part of Mohiams name, or is it a title? You know, like the way you might say Gaius Julius Caesar.

Gaius was a very common Roman first name (derived from Gaea).

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Shageletic posted:

It's hilarious that Duneson turned Holtzman into a person Halley Comet

That's from the timeline in the appendix.

Edit: wait, that part of the appendix was from the encyclopedia, it just happened to be at the end of my copy of Dune back when I read it in the 90s :psyduck:

No Pants fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 9, 2021

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

According to the introduction, the Dune Encyclopedia was something Frank Herbert approved, although he reserved the right to edit details in future books.

After reading the quote they extracted from him, I think he mostly approved of his cut entering his checking account.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

stratdax posted:

I watched the Children of Dune miniseries. it was quite good, production-wise. At least all the way to the last half hour where they realized they were out of time and rushed to get through the remainder of the book. The audience doesn't learn what Leto II's plan is, what he's doing or what the Golden Path is, so that's a problem. Maybe that's not a problem of the adaptations but of the novels, because from what I read in Dune and Dune Messiah, Herbert is never really clear about the bigger picture stuff or what people are actually working towards.

The big picture stuff is usually revealed when people are thinking to themselves and often when they're tripping their balls off, so it doesn't get adapted or might be easier for readers to ignore. The Golden Path directly calls back to the weird Jungian stuff made explicit in the early parts of Dune, where Paul senses that the jihad is inevitable because the Guild's monopoly on travel is threatening humanity with genetic stagnation (and so the collective unconsciousness is getting unreasonably horny or something, I remember the word estrus somewhere in that passage).

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Toxic Mental posted:

I legit couldn't understand the weird wail thing she did when I saw the movie in theaters, I thought it was some kind of continuity mistake or I had a mini fugue moment or something, and it didn't help that like all modern movies the dialogue was impossible to hear and "maker of the deep desert" means nothing

I thought they added enough context to show us that Jessica doesn't understand what's happening in that scene, either, until the prophecy is mentioned. It's a good adaptation; I think the only thing you might miss is that she was not going to translate it correctly.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Abomination!

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah Children is fine. Although I've never understood why, if Leto II and Ghanima are obviously these insane intelligences with supernatural powers beyond even Paul, why do the "adults" set up a regency for the imperium? I mean I get that that's how it worked in medieval times when the new heir was a child, but Leto and Ghanima can't be said to be "children" in any meaningful sense of the word, they're basically just short.

It made sense when they were literal babies who could only maybe communicate with Alia. The whole book is them proving they were competent by overthrowing their corrupt regent and figuring out how to not become abominations themselves.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

In the line at the IMAX. Some guy passed by and asked what we’re seeing and goes, “Oh, I was wondering why there were so many dudes.”

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I would have traded a tiny amount of Count Fenring for one of the Rabban scenes if only to make the Emperor’s retinue more varied than a few pussy magicians. But I’m probably wrong so w/e.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

Talking about the movie with someone who hasn't read the book and his biggest question is "how do they get off the worms" which yknow fair

Adding another crucial book fact to the list of crimes I will nail to Dennis's door.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Yueh's Imperial Conditioning being broken was a wheels-within-wheels thing in the book that he doesn't understand. Jessica noted his wife left signs of Bene Gesserit tampering on him, which might have been something Piter understood he could use to counter-condition him into wanting the Baron dead. He was trained to deceive a Bene Gesserit. There's a bit where he almost realizes his wife and the Bene Gesserit involved him in a greater plot.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

i like the part in the movie where paul tells her to shut up

and afterward the film's sole exclamation of Abomination! smh

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

pthighs posted:

Yeah having just read up to God Emperor for the first time, I don't really know what to think about all this. You can read it as full throated support for the necessity of an authoritarian guiding hand, the opposite of that, or just about some stuff he saw while doing psychedelics.

For all that Dune has Paul tell himself the jihad is bad and could be avoided if he's in charge, and Messiah calls him mega-Hitler, Children has Leto II tell him off about how they both know he didn't let the jihad go far enough to ensure humanity's survival.

Going off one of Paul's first trips where he taps into humanity's collective genetic consciousness and sees everyone getting too inbred on their planets or whatever, I guess the idea is that the jihad or an equivalent explosion of violence would have been a natural and necessary remedy to the empire's enforced stagnation if it weren't for prescient interference.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This is one of the most fascinating unexplored angles of that ability. Thousands of lives' worth of memories, but no old people.

Frank didn't really care too much about the details here, so there's room to handwave it away. Ego memories might be more like reconstructions based on the sum of memories they copied to their genes up until they passed them on, and then you also have their descendants' memories, probably some degree of ability to see the past and future, and maybe some mentat abilities in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Way pages back but I would maybe interpret this as speciation away from other planets, but this doesn't actually match with what goes on and prob doesn't matter

I was being glib when I used that word, but this is one of at least two parts where he thinks about how much humanity subconsciously desired interplanetary loving.

quote:

He remained silent, thinking like the seed he was, thinking with the race consciousness he had first experienced as terrible purpose. He found that he no longer could hate the Bene Gesserit or the Emperor or even the Harkonnens. They were all caught up in the need of their race to renew its scattered inheritance, to cross and mingle and infuse their bloodlines in a great new pooling of genes. And the race knew only one sure way for this—the ancient way, the tried and certain way that rolled over everything in its path: jihad.