Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can somebody please say at what point the film ends? I’ve been wondering where they were going to choose to break it in two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

while we're at it, get those goons who years back did a Shakespearian version the The Big Lebowski, do a Dune conversion

Are you referring to that book “Two Gentlemen of Lebowski” ?

The authors were goons?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I really liked the first book, and I really liked the last movie that was based on it, and I feel really betrayed by this thread.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It is going to be very interesting to see how theatergoers who know nothing about the books react to where this is all going.

Assuming there is in fact a third film.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The most unrealistic thing about the books is that the Fremen should be able to completely overpower any number of Sardaukar simply by stripping naked.

They poo poo and piss inside their suits, and not a one of them has ever bathed, not one single time.

Peeling off those stillsuits, the resulting stench from their unwashed bodies would just knock any other human on their rear end. Within a large radius.

The smell from their unwashed crotches with a lifetime of bush growth alone… can you even imagine?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It must be nice to be a fremen baby/toddler, as that is the last time in life they don’t have to walk around in their own poo poo, piss, and unwashed funk

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He also posted a pic of himself having dribbled a little and slightly wet his pants, after peeing in the toilet and zipping up.

As you do, when you get older.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Right, people saying it’s “still too long” only gives me a beefswelling

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You didn’t laugh at Gurney playing on his baliset a song about what a shithole Arrakis is?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

No… not that big!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I asked this same thing in the CD thread yesterday, and got this excellent answer

Seemlar posted:

It's not explained or elaborated on in the movies, but in the novels smugglers are long established on the planet and just kind of mine around the fringes. The Harkonnen's saw them as not worth the effort to deal with and the Fremen tolerate them as long as they don't trespass into territory the Fremen forbid because they're trade partners for offworld materials and resources. When they first arrive Leto sends Gurney to them as an emissary similar to how Duncan went to the Fremen because he wants them on side as allies or at least safely neutral, it's how Gurney has contacts to escape to them with the other survivors when the house falls.

The Fremen hitting the harvester Gurney was on was out of the ordinary and done because it had penetrated further into Fremen land than they ever usually go - they find out there are Sardukar infiltrators hidden in the crew that pushed them to do it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kull wahad!

Good grief.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dunc SFX are up there with the sounds of Star Wars, IMO.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah. The first time I saw Dune1, I wondered if maybe that ghastly spider-thing was Yueh’s wife, like they’d made her into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ddiddles posted:

Dune 2 looked and sounded great, but would have been way better with a completely different cast (except keep Stellan Skarsgård), I dunno who, just, not them.

LOL