Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Re: OSC derail, there was a protest beginning when his movie came out because he was openly anti-gay. I think it may have been involved with California's prop 8(?). I may just be conflating that with Mormons generally influencing CA politics from Utah.

I gave him some credit when he gave up any profits from his movie to see it get made: https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2013/10/enders-game-movie-profits-wont-go-orson-scott-card/354657/

I like the movie enough to go read the book, then wished the movie was done better.

This time, I read Dune through Chapterhouse in preparation for the movie... and I've just been meaning to for a while so the film release was a good impetus. Can't wait for next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

pnumoman posted:

What confuses the poo poo outta me are the people saying she's a poo poo bene gesserit for showing emotions when we're seeing her break down in her private moments. When she's sobbing in the hallway all red-faced and puffy, she opens the door and enters the room with no trace of her breakdown visible. Like others have said, the bene gesserit are not emotionless, and they can even fall prey to their emotions. They are masters of observation, manipulation, and control, but they are still human and subject to emotions. Reverend Mother Mohiam definitely did not seem emotionless, but noone seems to be calling her a poo poo bene gesserit. :shrug:

To be fair, she had a son against the plans of the BG then went against their traditions by training him, eventually bringing about the Kwisatz Haderach. She was kind of a poo poo Bene Gesserit.

While watching, I did think she was freaking out a bit much, but afterward, I asked my non-book friend what she thought and her thoughts on Jessica were similar to what I thought about book-Jessica. They really just had to put that inner monologue on the actor's faces. Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, it was well done enough to get all the points across and that's impressive to me.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you wonder how he poops and pees, and other science facts
You'll be pleased to hear that we do know, it's processed in the thigh pads

:golfclap:

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

My Dune loving friend saw the movie and was so mad about the changes that she declared it the worst movie she'd ever seen and will in no way endorse or see the third one... Like drat, I understand having critiques and/or disappointments because things had to be cut, but it's a movie adaptation and things always have to be cut. Even if you take the DUNE out of it, it's a great film in general. The effects, both digital and practical were awesome, I am always in awe at how cool lasguns are, and was giggling in my seat when they did the worm invasion.

The explosion momentarily contained inside the ornithopter shield was a thing of beauty. I was disappointed that we didn't get a creepy off-putting child that spoke like an adult and stabbed the baron, sure. I love the weird poo poo that comes with this series, but I understand that Villeneuve didn't want to do a big time skip after already having a montage. It makes sense cinematically to do a time skip between films, which is clearly planned since they already cast a grown Alia in a vision. Instead, it was shown that Alia was basically controlling Jessica from the womb by the end of the movie... which is Frankly creepy enough for me!