Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dyna Soar posted:

unlike 99% of the dune inspired music i've heard this is actually pretty nice! thanks man

Curious, what other Dune music would you recommend or discommend? My favorite is probably Bernard Szajner’s Visions of Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hey thread, I’m rereading Messiah and is it just me or does this passage make no sense

quote:

”Idaho’s dead,” Irulan said. “Paul has mourned the loss often in my presence. He saw Idaho killed by my father’s Sardaukar.”

“Even in defeat,” Edric said, “your father’s Sardaukar did not abandon wisdom. Let us suppose a wise Sardaukar commander recognized the sword-master in a corpse his men had slain. What then? There exist uses for such flesh and training . . . if one acts swiftly.”

“A Tleilaxu ghola,” Irulan whispered...

[later, Edric]”No; let us assume that our wise Sardaukar commander had Idaho’s corpse preserved for the axolotl tanks. Why not? This corpse held the flesh and nerves of one of the finest swordsmen in history, an adviser to the Atreides, a military genius. What a waste to lose all that training and ability when it might be revived as an instructor for the Sardaukar.”

“I heard not a whisper of this and I was one of my father’s confidantes,” Irulan said.

“Ahh, but your father was a defeated man and within a few hours you had been sold to the new Emperor,” Edric said.

Edric is talking here like Idaho was killed in the battle where Paul defeated Shaddam, but that isn’t right at all — he died like two or three years before, when Shaddam/Baron H destroyed Leto Sr. And Irulan has to know that if she’s heard the story from Paul himself. Does this ever come up again or was Herbert just smoking crack?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Feyd doesn’t have many scenes full stop.

1) Baron and Piter explain the plot (“Lovely Feyd”)
2) arena fight when the Fenrings visit
3) failed assassination, the Baron makes him kill every hooker
4) the end, he talks a load of poo poo and gets shanked

Also Paul is the twinky one. Feyd should be swole

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Fremen are hyper pragmatist and communitarian, they don’t give a poo poo about equality in itself and their society explicitly operates by survival of the fittest, kill the boss to become the boss. The path for women to ascend in their society is a religious/ritual one (Sayyadina/Reverend Mother) not a fighting one. It doesn’t mean the women can’t fight, they’re expected to be able to, but it’s obvious that military/temporal leadership is a Guy Thing.

The real weirdest sex thing in the Dune books (and oh boy there are many competitors) is why polygamy is unheard of and oh noes your true love can only ever be your concubine. Bullshit, these people are absolute aristos, they’re a law in themselves and barely believe in religion, who’s going to stop you marrying twice? The Space Pope?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I was talking to a friend about casting for the Fenrings and I wonder how they're gonna do the secret humming dialogue

I always imagine this sounding like the skeksis chamberlain tbh

https://youtu.be/Jyl-p-llPiU

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 23, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The BGs have implicitly married everyone of note for millennia. Besides not really weird if the emperor of the known universe is doing it. Reading between the lines, it seems like they have a monopoly on the education of young women of rank.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Abulurd was his demibrother too, and we don’t really know enough about him to say if the line could refer to him. I think knowing Fenring, the line makes the most sense as being a deliberate burn on the Baron, but one he can claim was actually about Rabban if the Baron complains, thereby burning the Baron again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mohiam being Jessica’s mom comes from the Dune Encyclopedia. In Children, the BG breeding records give Jessica’s mom another name (Tanidia) but the prequels claim that’s just alias Mohiam.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jod is a brilliant hack, but he’s also a big old fuckin liar, not sure I would take any claim he makes about his work seriously. especially claims to be committing crimes while filming them

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Do stillsuits have catheters or do you just like, piss wildly into them

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

we had this discussion already. Caths up the dingus and suk-zones in the back. The Fremen are also constatly dropping huge spiced up orange loads from all the stimulation.

You think Kynes helped Leto fit the tube desert-fashion?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I watched Dune again for he first time in like a year, and the first time while high. And somehow it was only THIS time that I realized how horrible it really is. Did David just tell most of the actors to read their lines as plainly and emotionlessly as possible?

Where are my feelings?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Bring me my fremen turd brazier the desert night grows chill

Ah, that’s what was in all those glowglobes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

When Mohiam is in jail in Messiah, she has “a Fremen privy with moisture seals”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The nobility/BG don’t have the eyes of Ibad. Only the navigators and the Fremen do. You need to be basically saturated with spice for years for it to happen. Just taking it on the reg isn’t enough.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That’s a fair point, but I still don’t think they are general among the nobility. Piter has them, but the Baron complains that Piter costs him a fortune in spice anyway. Paul reports his visions of Chani’s eyes to Mohiam without any sense that this is a normal thing, and he doesn’t know what causes the Fremen to have blue eyes until Yueh explains it’s the spice. Herbert might have changed his mind along the way, but I think it is clear that the blue eyes are a Fremen thing, and the navigators mask them so as not to weird people out. If everyone rich had it, it probably wouldn’t be worth hiding.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

TCC: melange micro dosing or how to avoid the ibad

A man falls through the sand and into El Quds. Seizing a glowglobe from the wall he sees the skull of the father of Muad’Dib. Grasping it by the eye sockets he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice essence”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, it adds “years—decades for some”. Nobody in the books seems to live like, way over 100. Except Leto II which is uh, slightly different

Incidentally while looking that up I found that Mohiam has the blue eyes by the time of Messiah. Maybe she was wearing contacts during the first book or she was less addicted then, idk.

e: also in Children, Jessica thinks to herself that BG prana bindu powers could in theory let you live for thousands of years, but the BGs deliberately don’t do this because they’re scared that if they all became functionally immortal everyone would freak out and massacre them.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 29, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Normally you don’t get a regnal number unless you actually reign, but Paul already thinks of his not-yet-murdered firstborn as Leto II in the first book. Paul knew he would be succeeded by his son, so when he had a son he named him Leto II. Just got the wrong son.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And re: royal names. If you hold multiple titles are you both [Name] the X, [title] of [place], and [name] the Y, [title] of [place], where Y=\=X?

You can be. The last Stuart king of England and Scotland is sometimes referred to as “James II and VII” for example.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They’re kinda sorta speaking English in Dune, Galach is “Inglo-Slavic”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

10 Billion Days and 100 Billion Nights takes place over the entire history of the universe

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I liked Raft, kind of, but not anything else by him.

This thread got me to reread Heretics and I have to say I don’t think it’s that bad. It’s sure weird but he was obviously trying to top God Emperor, which is a pretty good moon shot to even attempt. I like the result even if it strays into written with one hand territory at times. It starts slow but once the action begins, it’s a proper space opera story, much less dry (haha) than some other books in the series and spends probably more time than all the other books put together on what life is like in its universe and how average people feel about all these hosed up wizards and megalomaniac religious orders constantly backstabbing each other all across the galaxy. It’s cool and really feels like Herbert was trying to get back to the more militaristic story of the first book as opposed to the palace politics that had been the theme of the 2nd-4th, but with more Duncan Idaho who is now also louder, angrier, and has access to a time machine.

On to Chapterhouse, which I recall as being much more boring and having a really tiresome subplot about stereotype Jews.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I always figured the Baron was bald tbh. His baby-likeness is stressed repeatedly. Ginger Harkonnens came from Lynch, Feyd is introduced as dark haired.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

red green and black are the colors of postcolonial pan africanism, the atreides should all be black imo

One of the Dune RTS games (Emperor?) had the Atreides duke played by Michael Dorn

e: https://youtu.be/QPcV72y9QB0

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 7, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t read that as Thufir not knowing about Voice. After all he thinks of her as a witch, which implies he accepts that there are some kind of uncanny powers involved. I think the point is that he never really appreciated how powerful Voice is firsthand, or assumed he would be above it. Thufir is a skeptical guy and it’s not like the BGs are totally upfront with everyone about what all their powers are and how they work. He may just figure there’s a healthy amount of mythmaking in descriptions of the Voice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Absolutely no chance unless this is a LotR-esque success and probably not even then. Messiah is more like a coda to Dune than its own story, Children is an intermittently filmable story about two nine-year-olds, and God Emperor is bonkers on almost every level. My current reread has convinced me that the only other book in the series which could actually be developed into a coherent movie without doing a total hatchet job on it is Heretics, by which point we’re fully into sex weirds territory. Not to mention it’s basically completely its own thing and you’ll have not the slightest idea what’s going on if you skip there straight from Dune.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Done with Chapterhouse. Like Heretics, it wasn’t as bad as I remembered, but unlike Heretics, I don’t think it’s very good either. The Jews are really annoying caricatures (somehow I doubt they will be saying “oyy” in 15000 years) and way too much of the rest of the book is occupied by Duncan moping. Odrade and her cheerful attempts to outmaneuver the multiple orgasm empire and their cannibal cat people slaves every which way are the better part of the book and contains probably one of the more memorable scenes in the later series, namely Odrade having a subordinate rape a juvenile clone of her own dad to restore his memories for the greater good. She’s an entertaining character and it’s mildly lame that we don’t get to see her death from her own perspective. All she wanted was a nice gazebo.

The ending also underwhelms a bit. It’s not so much a cliffhanger as it is giving up before the denouement. Not looking forward to where Failson and Darksaber Guy took this in Hunters of Dune. I remember practically nothing about that book except that it used the word “whores” over 100 times, and never read Sandworms.

I have to say that I’m not at all convinced Herbert was intending the Honored Matres’ enemy to be super robots either. There’s very little which foreshadows anything such and it’s no surprise to me that Failson thought he needed to write a bunch of prequels about that before anyone would buy it. On the evidence of Heretics and Chapterhouse I think it’s fairly clear that the enemy was just autonomous face dancers of the upgraded soul-absorbing variety. Mostly I’m not convinced that the series was really going anywhere though. Call me a cynic but I don’t see a grand design in the Dune series, it’s more like Herbert writing whatever he felt like and then committing fairly strongly to exploring the consequences of it, regardless of what the result looked like. Hence the enormous differences between the various books, and the constant urge to top himself with weirder and weirder poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Duncan is like an even more absurd Boba Fett — in Dune he’s just a random minor character, his relationship with Paul is all implicit, and he barely does anything worth noting before he bites it. So now here’s ten more books about him and what he did for the next 5000 years. Somewhere between Dune and Messiah, Herbert really changes tack on him. I already noted that there’s a weird factual inconsistency between the two books about the circumstances of his death, but the tonal inconsistency is even more jarring.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arrakis would be a pretty boring setting for a game. once the thrill of seeing stuff from the books wears off, it’s all a big desert.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Press L1 and R1 without rhythm so as not to attract a worm

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Abomination

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hawat’s report set Leto up to expect Kynes to have “gone native”, so Leto treats him like a Fremen and doesn’t go looking for another name. It’s not like Stilgar introduces himself as Bob Stilgar.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pimblor posted:

Heretics is the first book that I'm struggling to get into. Is the story really weak? Does it get better?

Heretics starts slow but I think its story is ok once poo poo starts to go down.

very late edit: read until you get to the phrase “brooding hypnobong proprietor”. If you don’t like the book by then you have my permission to transcend into the alam al mithal

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 17, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

The hunter-seeker will be a tiny quad copter because people are very dumb

They’ll never top Lynch’s artisanal assault dildo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Leto’s face is his original face (minus skull), it should be the original size. I do have a soft spot for mega face as pictured in the old cover art but it doesn’t agree with the book.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They poo poo drugs

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Can someone remind me why the Harkonnens and the Emperor conspired to wipe out House Atreides? The Harkonnens already had stewardship of Dune, and shipping the military equipment to Dune to kill the Atreides cost something like 50 years worth of spice harvesting profits in Guild tariffs and bribes. So, what was the big benefit of doing this?

quote:

Thufir Hawat, his father’s Master of Assassins, had explained it: their mortal enemies, the Harkonnens, had been on Arrakis eighty years, holding the planet in quasi-fief under a CHOAM Company contract to mine the geriatric spice, melange. Now the Harkonnens were leaving to be replaced by the House of Atreides in fief-complete—an apparent victory for the Duke Leto. Yet, Hawat had said, this appearance contained the deadliest peril, for the Duke Leto was popular among the Great Houses of the Landsraad.

“A popular man arouses the jealousy of the powerful,” Hawat had said.

The emperor is concerned about Leto’s prominence in the Landsraad and wants him dead, but can’t move against him openly because it would provoke the Landsraad to rise up. Baron Harkonnen wants to destroy the Atreides to increase his prestige and power by dunking a rival publicly so that every other noble knows he’s hardcore, and we later learn the emperor has promised to reward him with a permanent CHOAM directorship, which makes him way wealthier than just being the guy who administrates spice mining ops for CHOAM, on top of presumably getting the same kind of “fief-complete” arrangement that Leto was given. Therefore Shaddam gives Leto the fief, an honor he can’t refuse, knowing that Leto will suspect he is being trapped and either flee the empire into exile, or walk right into the trap.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Because Jessica was teaching their troops Weirding Way kung fu?

I don’t think this was happening. Jessica’s abilities are hidden from basically everyone in the Atreides household. Thufir basically thinks “eh I could take her” right up until the moment she kicks the stuffing out of him with Voice. I don’t think he would do that if he knew she had sick nasty roundhouse kick powers. She teaches the Fremen her martial arts after she and Paul fall in with them, and she probably taught Paul some stuff, but I think the average Atreides trooper is more likely getting taught stuff from the playbooks of Hawat, Halleck or Idaho. I think that a popular noble amassing a staff like that to lead what seems to be a regular army is probably going to be enough to set Shaddam’s alarm bells ringing — the Harkonnen army by contrast seems like it’s just a bunch of schmuck conscripts.

She also doesn’t sit in on the Atreides war councils or anything. I think as far as anyone except Paul and maybe kind of Leto knows, she’s just there to host dinner parties and manage the household and is of no military importance.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That makes me wonder — does the emperor actually know that there’s 10 million Fremen, or did the Kyneses manage to keep that from him? The bit where Fenring nearly loses his poo poo when Baron H naively suggests turning Arrakis into a prison planet makes me feel like Fenring at least has some sense that the Fremen could rival the Sardaukar. If Fenring knows it (and after all he lived there) then surely Shaddam must know it. But if Shaddam knew the makings of an army to rival his own were on Arrakis, it was insanely foolhardy of him to send Leto there, even with the expectation of quickly killing him.