Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
😀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrower posted:

Suicide bombers today are a pretty major concern and the best most of them can manage is some ANFO wrapped with nails. Giving those guys nukes seems like a real problem. They were probably out of reach for the common citizenry cost wise, but it's not like the dune universe is short of wealthy malcontents. From what I can recall almost any vaguely militaristic organization had them readily available, and the governments hardly had the economy under control as there were smugglers and black markets selling stuff all over the place. I've been following dune discussions here and there for years and I've just never seen an answer that wasn't opinion and speculation. The books just sort of go along with it and never play it out which always annoyed me.

They mention lasgun use is rare because if one hits a shield the resulting explosion would be so big that it kills both sides anywhere near it and the landsraad might think a house actually violated the prohibition on atomics which is serious

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spinster posted:

I liked all the Dune books very much. ( the original ones.) When an author constructs an alternate universe that is so fully fleshed out and believable it is such a treat.

:yeah:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic hitler posted:

I really liked how he kicked mankind so very far out into the future (something like 20,000 years from this date for the beginning of Dune, and I don't know , a lot more for God Emperor, and at least a few thousand more for heretics/chapterhouse).

It's so far into the future that mankind is on the cusp of not really being anything like humans as we'd recognize them. Their culture is a strange amalgam of our conservative past with concessions to the needs of Herbert's deep unknowable future, religions whose names we may recognize partially (zensunni, orange catholic bible, etc.) in theory are nothing like their names imply in reality.

He has to pay zero heed or care to the mankind of today from a plot and story perspective. Our culture and politics only matter insofar as they informed Frank Herbert himself. You almost can't become morally alienated from Dune itself, as the setting removes itself from an actual earthly context as much as possible.

Frank Herbert said balls to all of that, i'm gonna write a book about a bunch of feudal space weirdos who rely on LSD for space travel with an entirely unrecognizable, frequently objectionable society.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zippy the Bummer posted:

All of the characters post-Dune are so loving alien and far removed from humanity as I know it that I cannot relate to them at all and I therefore find it very difficult to give a gently caress about them or their struggles

The rabbits in Watership Down are far more compelling

Watership Dune

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

I honestly never really bought the idea of desert people somehow being superior to the rest of the universe/conquerors. They'd likely be malnourished with poor genetics due to a restrictive gene pool and the need to reproduce like rabbits to replace people dying from a 33 year old life expetancy. The idea of someone transforming themselves into a desert 'creature', waging jihad, and threatening to end civilization by blowing themselves and everyone else around them right the gently caress up was fairly prescient.

i remember this

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the ways stilgar says gawd
https://youtu.be/5-EdLMxjPCg

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D U N E

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FatCow posted:

I listened to the first Dune book and was pretty underwhelmed. Does it get better with the context of the next 2 or should I just jump ship?

I find it hard to believe that the human race just forgot to keep track of it's origin planet/system in a universe where C is still a limit.

You're an idiot

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DebonaireD posted:

Villenueve is a haaaack
Wrong

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool trivia about space travel in dune:

folding space predates discovery of the spice, and navigators aren't used to actually fold the space, but to use their prescience to keep the spacecraft from colliding with astrological objects as space is folded.

before the discovery of spice, they lost i think like a third of their ships folding space

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dune miniseries was insanely bad

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are holtzman engines the magic devices that enable all the futuretech like suspensors and shields?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought they originally used Thinking Machines to plan the flights and the use of spice was a substitute for them after trying to do it manually wasn't working

oh ya that makes sense i think this is accurate

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D U N E

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
too late theyre already way up

sicaro was real good
prisoners was good
arrival was good
blade runner was pretty good, and visually beautiful
i havent seen enemy, but i hear its good

D U N E 2018 babey. it better be twice as long as blade runner 2049

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DebonaireD posted:

The bene gesserit are not the bad guys, that's the emperor and the harkonnen. The witches are power brokers, royal advisors, commandos and the secret orchestrators of galactic events on the millenial scale. They hold all the cards and its not exactly clear that Paul is frustrating their carefully laid plans. They have the last lines in the book.
Frank Herbert dearly loved his wife and stopped writing after she died. She and him are the probable inserts for the final super power characters at the end of chapterhouse. I mean, you have to put all this in the context of the burgeoning feminist movement of the time that writers like Asimov ignored and Herbert embraced. I mean christ guys it feels like we're not even reading the same book here

i like this post, make more like it pls

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's talk about how homophobic dune is

Heres my take: it's fairly

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrhythmia posted:

Hell, hosed up if false

It's the straight line computation. Depend on it

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D U N E - T O T O

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hes also the newsreader in hbos rome. No point to this post really but I like hbos rome

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

The summary I read talked about how the Face Dancers were an existential crisis for the Honored Matres and Bene Gesserit because they represent democracy or equality or something in contrast to the Matres and Gesserit tyrannical rule. It was well reasoned but I'm trying to figure how the Face Dancers would actually introduce equality to the universe other than by absorbing everyone.

honored matres wiki article says they hate the tleilaxu because they bioengineered and enslaved their own women into axlotl tanks to create facedancers and those axlotl tank-women evolved in part into honored matres who are still mad about it, which is very stupid writing lol

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also back on movie chat, in my opinion dune needs to be made like one of those 60's epics that's insanely lavishly produced and nearly bankrupts the studio in the process

minimum one intermission and the whole thing has to be shot on 70mm

and no CGI armies, that's gotta be a thousand extras trucked out to the desert

i am rock freaking hard right now. i want lawrence of arabia production values with twice as many extras as waterloo and its twice as long as both of them combined

also everything in this post:

shut up netface posted:

Trailer
Music by Sunn O)))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0Z2yndlOs
fade up to thopters flying over arrakis

FEAR.

cuts to closeup of Paul reciting(I say Dev Patel, its gonna be weird with a pale white guy in a desert the entire time)

FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER
BATTLE SHOTS

FEAR IS THE blah blah voiceover the entirety
shots of benegesserit witches, assorted characters fromthe houses, esp House Harkonnen, more battles, fremen, knife fighting, a vague shape of a navigator in a tank, solid neon blue eyes,

END WITH SHOT OF SANDWORM BREECHING
smash cut to WINTER 2020

gave me a boner except instead of winter 2020 its january 2018

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new blade runner was a little boring but the technical competency of the beautiful creative visuals make me a little giddy for D U N E 2018

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D U N E

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic hitler posted:

Lmao i want a choam gang tag.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think both kyle machlahlan and patrick stewart should reprise their roles in new DUNE

uhh if brad dourif is alive also him

check out this awesome webpage i found when searching for his name
http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/starblazer/piter.html

paul_soccer10 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 27, 2017

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

Why do the dune worms look like dicks with cavernous foreskins?

psychology

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope the baron is even more hosed up on needles and gas and boils in NEW DUNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

e: prostamp - he takes his shower at the 2 minute mark

paul_soccer10 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 27, 2017

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

someone make the tag pls :]

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
check out what I just learned:

Piter:
Brad dourif is:

and chucky from chucky

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat im preternaturally good at :synpa:ing

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic hitler posted:

Lmao i want a choam gang tag.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do we need to yell at jose or something to get a gang tang added :shrug:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm deeply suspicious of their methodology in this one.

wouldnt CHOAM have like hundreds of quintillions of 2007 dollars

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hi first time long time

do guild heighliners travel through space instantaneously no matter the distance, or do they warp space like star trek and it takes longer to go farther ?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

phasmid posted:

That's what I usually imagined. They travel at translight speeds, but there's still a vector. I think maybe "fold-space" was not literal in the Dune universe, as it would be if we were talking about astrophysics.

Maybe it was his short service in the navy in WW2 or maybe he just liked boats, but it was also cool how the Guild ships were purely off-planet. Built in whatever shapes their architects desired, the downside was that they had to be built in space and couldn't enter a planet's atmosphere without breaking apart from their massive weight. Solution? Frigates and "lighters" just like the kind the old explorers would use to land on beaches while their ships were anchored in the distance. A nice little colonial motif, one of those details that made Herbert's stuff stand out among his contemporaries.

:yeah!

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D U N E

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Watching Lynch's D U N E for the 7583'rd time thanks to this thread. Not even watching; I've seen it so many times I can throw it on with the volume maxed out, and putter around the whole house and see Max Von Sydow in my head saying "As for their relation to the spice... who knows?" with perfect clarity.

What I'm saying is, this is my favorite film ever, klutzy as it is. Much like my posting

D U N E and H E A T are my go-to sick-day seen-100-times movies