Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Gonna go hot take here that Dolby Vision theater is gonna be better than fake IMAX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Well just got done watching it and I really enjoyed it but it still felt incredibly rushed, Denis decides to make the plot happen in one calendar year because he didn’t want to deal with a child actor for Alia?

My son came away from the movie thinking that Jessica is super evil, so that was kind of heh.

Scarabrae fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 7, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Thinking about it more making the final fight with Feyd an honorable showing of equal skill kinda annoys me, did they think a knife up through the skull wouldn’t get a PG13 rating anymore?

Paul’s knife wound went pretty deep but he’s totally fine because he can now control his body to the cellular level to speed up healing but the non book audience doesn’t know anything about that.

Now it would of worked if they spent anytime displaying Feyd’s skill but they showed him fighting drugged dudes and struggling a bit against a normal soldier (I presume)

Having the entire story happen during a 7-8 month period of time doesn’t work for me personally, everything else was very good, BR2049 remains Denis’s best film however.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Also as a gen xer that grew up with the Lynch film I’m still having a hard time with the changes in pronunciation even if they are herbert estate approved

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I have thought about the movie alot more and I think the lack of a time skip and shoving everything into a 6 month span of time ruined the movie for me personally, it just becomes a stretch for the characters motivations imo.

I think Denis failed creatively with Alia, and the death of Paul’s first son is what makes it believable for me that he goes gently caress it burn it all down. So the removal of all of that just kind of took me out of the movie.

This is my opinion and I recognize the movie is amazing in many other ways and if it gets more people to read the book then that’s cool too.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Cimber posted:

Even the strongest training in the universe can't overcome morning sickness.

Which is kind funny since BG are supposed to be able to control their bodies down to the cellular level

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Director’s Cut won’t fix how badly the plot flows without the original time skip

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

You got to hand it to Lynch at least he didn’t completely shy away from the source material, that chapter is so good too.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Frank Herbert was a Republican. He was employed by the Republican Party and worked on several Republican campaigns over the course of at least a few years.

Ok?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

:3:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Just don’t wear a personal shield to a Laser theater

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I have no idea where I would display it especially with the wings out.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ChubbyChecker posted:

this is my favorite navigator:

Oh hell yes

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Tiger is a cat

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Antiquated Pants posted:

My Dune loving friend saw the movie and was so mad about the changes that she declared it the worst movie she'd ever seen and will in no way endorse or see the third one... Like drat, I understand having critiques and/or disappointments because things had to be cut, but it's a movie adaptation and things always have to be cut. Even if you take the DUNE out of it, it's a great film in general. The effects, both digital and practical were awesome, I am always in awe at how cool lasguns are, and was giggling in my seat when they did the worm invasion.

The explosion momentarily contained inside the ornithopter shield was a thing of beauty. I was disappointed that we didn't get a creepy off-putting child that spoke like an adult and stabbed the baron, sure. I love the weird poo poo that comes with this series, but I understand that Villeneuve didn't want to do a big time skip after already having a montage. It makes sense cinematically to do a time skip between films, which is clearly planned since they already cast a grown Alia in a vision. Instead, it was shown that Alia was basically controlling Jessica from the womb by the end of the movie... which is Frankly creepy enough for me!

Your friend is right, I said before its an amazing spectacle but a bad movie

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Maudib Arakkis posted:

lol if you think that wasn't on some white savior mess

Ok

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Guys the book written from the 60’s has some old tropes, even though it still has important lessons for today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

In other news my Folio Society copy of Dune arrived and it’s fantastic