Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Was the personal shield/lasgun interaction ever addressed? Seems like two standard pieces of any soldiers kit that could be combined to form the equivalent of a nuclear weapon is a real bad idea. That's assuming some one purposely trying to inflict as much mayhem as possible, let alone some one just bungling it and firing off a blast that accidentally hits an active shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

basic hitler posted:

I think lasguns were expensive to make and deploy, making them cost prohibitive except for someone like house corinno and harkonnen, maybe?

It's been a couple of weeks now, but i seem to recall that the lasgun-shield reaction engulfs both parties and is nuclear in nature.

It seems like if you were waging interplanetary warfare, you could create las-bombs that would react with shielded palaces and cities to wipe out entire strategic assets and all, but for troop to troop ground warfare, the risk of a blast hitting a shield and killing both defender and attacker meant that under most circumstances an army would not have access to lasguns when their opponent was known to deploy shields

Suicide bombers today are a pretty major concern and the best most of them can manage is some ANFO wrapped with nails. Giving those guys nukes seems like a real problem. They were probably out of reach for the common citizenry cost wise, but it's not like the dune universe is short of wealthy malcontents. From what I can recall almost any vaguely militaristic organization had them readily available, and the governments hardly had the economy under control as there were smugglers and black markets selling stuff all over the place. I've been following dune discussions here and there for years and I've just never seen an answer that wasn't opinion and speculation. The books just sort of go along with it and never play it out which always annoyed me.