Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In the Dune boardgame, the Shadout Mapes has a higher leadership/combat rating (3) than Jamis (2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Former supermodel Heidi Klum cosplaying as her favorite character from the fourth Dune novel.

https://twitter.com/SinnamonCouture/status/1587307174946082816

https://twitter.com/usatodaylife/status/1587292642815221760

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Here lies Feyd. He never came.
Lady Margot Fenring might disagree with that statement.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/williefitz/status/1599452234596913152

It's true.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Also what the poo poo they cut off like half an entire spaceship.
It's the Guild monopoly, man.

They can cut off half a spaceship, and what are going to do about it? Bail and take your business to a competitor? You literally can't.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I wonder if the Guild uses their Navigators' prescient senses to not just chart safe interstellar travel pathways, but to crush potential rivals and inside-trade various markets. Being able to look into the future is pretty profitable!

Given the way the Guild was totally blindsided by events on Arrakis in the years after the Atreides were betrayed and overthrown there, probably not.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Colonel Cancer posted:

My naib do you have a sandtrout ramp at your sietch?
Shai-Hulud protects me :colbert:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It's never too soon to stop reading Dune sequels.

* also applies to prequels and interquels

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's a new expansion for the (very good) Dune: Imperium boardgame (Immortality, bringing the Tleilaxu and their genetic engineering into the game) and among the new cards is this:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lincoln posted:

No, you’re good. Linda Hunt is a fantastic actor. If you can get both David Lynch and Robert Altman to hire you, you got some chops.
Best supporting actress oscar, too (1982, The Year Of Living Dangerously).

Also, this:

quote:

Hunt has been in a relationship with psychotherapist Karen Kline[39] since 1978. The two were married in 2008.[40][41]
:3:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mad Hamish posted:

Well Shaddam, I made it here despite your directions.
Well Shaddam, I made it here despite your directions.
                                                              /
                                                            /

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bubblyblubber posted:

Adam West confirmed as Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV of House Corrino
I'd point out that he's been dead for most of a decade but then I remembered that never stopped other would-be interstellar emperors

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kiimo posted:

also thank you for making think of Susanna Hoffs

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wizchine posted:

It's obviously meant for dicks...
Turn your monitor on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Dune as a stage play like Peter Pan, but instead of everyone clapping to bring Tinkerbell back to life, everyone claps in rhythm to summon Shai-Hulud.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is all true, and I don't even really like the film all that much, but I can't deny that it has a uniquely compelling vibe and interesting production design/history.
Really top notch cast, too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Is Paul W.S. Anderson the ultimate Wife Guy" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My guess is that a final decision on making Dun3 is waiting for the box office results of D2ne.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ninety generations of carefully arranged Bene Gesserit marriages have finally produced their ultimate result...

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1677340587123408897

...Federal Reverse head Jerome Powell

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kiimo posted:

On Failson books, I recommend starting one (any will do) just to see what a complete and utter failure he is and how far removed from Herbert's genius these books are. It's pure dreck, but reading some of it is how you determine that Kevin J Anderson should be fired into the sun. I mean, it's on the level of The Courtship of Princess Leia and other nonsense Star Wars books. Gee I wonder what the common thread there is
I've never read any of the Failson books, but I have been absorbing bits and pieces of them osmotically through my reading of the Dune RPG and its supplements (I'm hoping to run the boxed campaign adventure for my friends later this year) and oh god how every mention of Cymeks or the Great Spice War gets my left eye twitching uncontrollably. You can ignore all that stuff in play (and the writers of the game seem to be doing their level best to use as little Failson material as possible) but its all so awful.

OTOH I was able to pick up a really good condition copy of "The Sabres of Paradise" for fifty cents at my local library used book sale over the weekend :dance:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
RM Mohiam: "You can imagine where it goes from here."

Paul: [Uses prescient vision]
Paul: [Sifts through all the branching timelines]
Paul: "He fixes the cable?"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
When Paul hits the sand at 2:01 it makes a very brief reverberating drumming noise.

WE HAVE DRUM SAND. I REPEAT WE HAVE DRUM SAND.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
He was chumped before the book even began, when the BG arranged it so that he would have only daughters.

Even at the end, Paul scrapes a raw nerve when he tells him that he was only "permitted" to take the throne because he promised to keep the spice flowing, and he's managed to gently caress that into a cocked hat.

quote:

Paul turned back to look at the Emperor, said: “When they permitted you to mount your father’s throne, it was only on the assurance that you’d keep the spice flowing. You’ve failed them, Majesty. Do you know the consequences?”

“Nobody permitted me to—”

“Stop playing the fool,” Paul barked.
Even his own hand-picked assassin and hatchet-man turns his back on him at the end.

Shaddam IV is the chump of chumps.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

I am the SyFy Miniseries Defender and specifically of the costumes. Some of the choices were bad, but at least they made choices, and tried to portray a stupendously wealthy imperial society. The costuming is probably the weakest part of Villeneuve's production design.
It was clear to me they didn't have the budget to really do epic sets or setpiece battles or special effects, so they took their limited money and went all in on ridiculous costumes (especially hats).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Most of the commentary on the origin of the Jedi that I've seen points to the Lensmen from the E. E. "Doc" Smith pulp novel series. Lightly-regulated cops with psychic powers, roaming the galaxy looking to right wrongs and protect civilization. You may also recognize that description as the backdrop of the modern Green Lantern comic book setting - the Lensman books were very influential on stuff that came after them.

The laser swords and swordfights are from Lucas' beloved Kurosawa samurai movies, the Force is from 1960s-70s California hippie understanding of Zen Buddhism.

e: reading the wikipedia page on Lensman, I see a key plot element is "The Eddorians do not detect the Arisians, who begin a covert breeding program on every world that can produce intelligent life, with particular emphasis on the four planets Earth (Tellus), Velantia III, Rigel IV, and Palain VII, in the hope of creating a race that is capable of destroying the Eddorians. Triplanetary incorporates the early history of that breeding program on Earth, illustrated with the lives of several warriors and soldiers, from ancient times to the discovery of the first interstellar space drive."

A secret breeding program to create psychic super-beings that runs across thousands of years, you say? :thunk:

FMguru fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 6, 2024

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ithle01 posted:

Yeah there's some planet that gets name dropped in Dune where the exiled houses live and the Guild charges them outrageously for their safety.
Tupile, IIRC.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RedTeam posted:

"I'm not the messiah..."

"i'm a very naughty boy"
There were strong The Life Of Brian vibes in the scene where he denied he was the Lisan Al'Gaib, and the would-be believers immediately declared that the denial was clear proof that he was.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shageletic posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say Herbert was a republican and more a specifically West Coast, ecologically small c conservative oddjob that really only existed between 1945 and 1970.
Heinlein was similar - horny swinging libertarian grandpa who was also an ardent Cold Warrior.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

The key to understanding these hippie conservative sci fi writers is that they were all white men born in the early twentieth century. They believed whatever mishmash of ideas made them feel cool and smart, and they had the talent to make them seem cool and smart, even when they were heartless and contemptibly stupid. See also: Ronald Reagan.
Niven, too - conservatarian 1960s-1970s Californian hippie point of view. Oh, and a partial heir to the Getty oil fortune.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tree Bucket posted:

I read an anthology of scifi published in 1950, and
Well
It was a different time. A really racist time. Also literally every story involved telepathy for some reason.
The most influential SF editor of that era was John W. Campbell of Astounding (later Analog) and he was big into "psionics" as a totally real just-around-the-corner scientific discovery, and if you wanted to have any kind of career in writing SF, you needed to get Campbell to buy your stories, which is why so many stories of that era feature telepathy and psychic powers and suchlike.

Campbell's personal quirks and quack beliefs really set a lot of common SF tropes in place that only now is there a generation of writers starting to unpick them.

The wiki page for Campbell's beliefs makes for...interesting reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Campbell#Views

And yeah, Asimov was a world-class creeper.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm thinking maybe a comedy, Cugel definitely comes across as a Michael Scott or GOB Bluth kind of character, a moron who's utterly convinced of his superior intelligence.

Dying Earth in general would make for a really cool anthology series though. Maybe animated for maximum weirdness potential.
An accurate Cugel would be tough to pull off, because he is an objectively terrible and awful person (but then again, so are most of the people he meets in his stories) with no redeeming characteristics and that's difficult to sell as a protagonist to a general audience.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bubblyblubber posted:

we've said it several different ways in this thread, but dunc is at its core a farce. a non stop series of self described geniuses and master strategists continually getting it wrong and loving up in very real and far reaching ways, real pig headed boners of gently caress ups.
My favorite part of the book is the appendix where the Bene Gesserit conduct a review of the Arrakis incident and absolutely roast RM Mohiam for being so goddamn stupid, especially where she tests the potential kwisatz haderach, finds that he breaks the human male record for enduring the pain box, and then just shrugs and tosses him to the wolves. The report tries to save face by concluding that there must be some deeper conspiracy at work, because it's impossible to imagine the highest-ranking Reverend Mother - the emperor's own Truthsayer! - could make such a spectacularly obvious blunder.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mister Speaker posted:

While I'm here, I have a question: So the Bene Gesserit are 'sowing prophecy' on multiple planets, presumably in the service of their breeding program (or is this more just a general means of control?). Does this mean they've made the connection, that the Fremen's Lisan al-Gaib will certainly also be their Kwisatz Haderach? It's obviously explained (directly to Paul) that they think he might be the KH, does Jessica start seeing the Fremen worship of him and put two and two together herself?
I always figured it was just what the BG did (and has been doing for ten thousand years) - going to planets and trying to hijack and manipulate the local religious culture to their benefit, usually implanting a bunch of stuff in their religion that the BG can make use of years (or even millennia) down the line. There's nothing special about Arrakis, it was just one of the many places the Missionara Proctectiva did their work.

If you are a BG and you find yourself alone, cut off, and threatened on an isolated world, you can do some mummery to win the locals over with your oddly-specific knowledge of their religious practices and prophecies - which is exactly what Jessica did after she and Paul fled into the desert and stumbled across Stilgar and his band. Afterwards, Jessica even gives silent thanks to whatever anonymous sister manipulated the Fremen religion long ago, thinking that she did her work well. Even earlier in the book, Jessica was working that angle with the Shadout Mapes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Ix" is just "Bricks" with 20000 years of linguistic drift.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Murray Mantoinette posted:

This owns. I love Wayne Barlowe, how have I never seen this
You should track down the book

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

skasion posted:

Please tell me it also has the God Emperor
The book came out in 1979 (two years before GEoD) so no.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mister Speaker posted:

The Muppets Take Arrakis

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
If I remember the book correctly, people didn't use shields in the desert because it had the effect of making every sandworm within a couple dozen kilometers make an enraged beeline for it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kiimo posted:

Yeah it's a convenient thing that Herbert creates just negate his other invention. Hmmm I made up shields. But like I can't have the Fremen wear them, they need to be sexier than some kind of beta rear end shield. Okay no shields in the desert becauuuuuse...it makes the worms go CRAZY? Lust for blood! I mean, more then normal. Ultrabloodlust.
At least he thought it through enough to come with a reason why, even if it is awfully convenient.

Also IIRC the Arrakis desert is a pretty hostile environment for electronics in general (the eternally blowing sands create a lot of static electricity discharges) which is one of the reasons that Fremen use non-electronic devices wherever they can (thumpers, ceilagos, those plastic dew-catchers, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

uber_stoat posted:

i never read the last two books. i guess i'm picturing the space Jews as Yogurt from Spaceballs.
More like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo