Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Computer, generate Wide Josh. No- wider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 5, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What if dune was about pizza

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They were going to keep parts of it a desert still. Whether that was really feasible or just a convenient fantasy is another question.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

THE BAR posted:

But I normally refrain from watching trailers of stuff I actually want to see - what am I to do?? :ohdear:

I don't think you should violate your principles, OP

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Unfortunately, colbert is also a star wars fan. It's regrettable but alas he has to be put to the sword

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would simply bomb the worms with water balloons. Bing bong, so simple

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think tim apple is the last big foundation fan left at this point. Kinda says it all

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's pretty clear at this point that warner has absolutely no confidence in the movie. Of course whether it's good or not is a mostly unrelated question

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's a very very good movie in 2049 intermixed with a bunch of crud that should be in the garbage can (mostly jared leto). I'll be satisfied if DUNC can at least meet same metric

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't want to start a derail, but yeah I'm not crazy about ford in it either. The ford/leto scene is my low point and it goes on for 10,000 years. Dreadful

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There is really not much reason I can see for an adaptation of the first half only to approach 3 hours. It's understandable to want maximum DUNC but good pacing is probably the most important thing or else it just becomes a hobbit nightmare

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like david lynch probably just did the atreides pug thing because it owns, and he's right. But it makes me think of how the BG probably think of all the houses in the breeding program. Just making the most weird hosed up purebreeds in hope of creating a pug of unprecedented monstrous psychic power, how could this plan have possibly gone wrong

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If paul was a pug, what kind of dog was fenring. These are the kind of important matters to be considered in the dune thread

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think even a decent sized group of people would contain enough water to do harm to a worm. People eat things that are nominally poisonous in small quantities and come out fine all the time, and their digestive tract isn't a blast furnace

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

That’s nonsense. Go look at the cover of the illustrated Dune (1977). The back of that version has a quote from FH that says, “I can envision no more perfect visual representation of my Dune world than John Schoenherr’s careful and accurate illustrations”

drat, these illustrations own

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I find it strange to get rid of feyd and play up rabban who is, if we're honest, barely even a character. But maybe they're sort of merging them together? The final knife fight being vs bautista could have some potential

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 26, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As far as I know there isn't even a script for the second film at this point so there's really no telling. Screenwriter brain just suggests the narrative economy of merging rabban and feyd pretty clearly I think

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I thought about it some more and I agree, he'll probably be around. I think that's too big of a change for failson and we know he signed off on the script, and it seems inconceivable you do that merge and have the rabban character be the one who wins

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Calling failson average is probably one of the nicer things I've ever heard said about him

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

rydiafan posted:

Do we have guesses as to when the movie ends? Are we all assuming the orgy?

This was what I had guessed but the reviews gave it a lot of credence, so spoiler tagging out of an abundance of caution on or about the knife fight with Jamis

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

2049 is maybe 75% of the way there for me. I get that the movie wasn't going to get made without harrison ford, so having him, while unfortunate, was unavoidable. However jared leto, and giving harrison ford the world's longest scene opposite jared leto, was just a big old own goal

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The revolt at least had some connection to ryan goosling's character arc (the good part of the movie), you could probably think of something better to do with that time but it's far from the biggest offender on that front

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Grilling denis in a police interrogation room over the circumstances of NFTs being unearthed on arrakis

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Leto the hollywood exec imposing 100 years of superhero movies on humanity in order to save it from them forever

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ghanima is like two thirds of the way to being an actual character, which is pretty good by children of dune standards

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That ship sailed about ten kylo rens ago. But worry not, the tweens can fix him

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

GEOD always felt like the natural stopping point for me. It's hard to say 5 and 6 achieve much

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

Ranking Messiah #1 is making my eye twitch

Dune
God Emperor
Children
Messiah
Heretics
Chapterhouse

Children vs Messiah is a tough one, I feel like brevity is the big underrated factor that would put Messiah over for me. But otherwise :agreed:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's been so many years at this point but I still can't believe he went with kevin j anderson as the actual writer other half of the writing duo. I guess when you really need a yes man he's your guy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel in the end it probably came down to kevin j anderson living exactly in the center of the venn diagram of "will not say no to any idea, no matter how inane" "works for cheap" "cranks that slop out"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Denis's film of DUNC comes out in the american nation on october 22, OP

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The scene where vader is talking to the admirals in particular delivers a ton of exposition, it's just done fairly well so your brain may not have noticed

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DrPlump posted:

Wait where is the second half of the movie?

I really wonder how many people are going in unaware of this and are going to be pissed. Awesome marketing great job

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm going to be honest, if part 2 somehow happens and it doesn't have count fenring, I'm going to overturn the deathstill and turn the sietch tabr into the sietch of poo poo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Javi B was good as usual but I wouldn't go crazy, he was in the movie for like 90 seconds

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately I think the movie's problem is that the main animating impulse was being faithful to the book and making it look and sound really cool while flowing like a movie should, with surprisingly little other motivation. That makes it not a disaster, but not really an adaptation that builds off of or furthers or deepens the original thing either

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

It absolutely makes the Dune story seem more action-packed then perhaps imagined when reading which is something dune 1984 did not manage to do.

Sure. Much as I respect the crazy poo poo in lynch dune, this felt like a complete, coherent movie unlike lynch dune. It just doesn't have that special 'elevated by the adaptation' quality to me eg the lotr films do

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel the kind of sucky things were arrakeen, momoa, knife fights in general, (most subjective) the harks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dune augurs a bright future for the strategy of aggressively guilting your audience into seeing the movie