Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

galagazombie posted:

I don’t recall them ever actually saying what “Suk Conditioning” actually entails. I mean it can’t be that extreme if all it takes to break it is hostage taking 101.

What if that hostage has space pussy magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Spice World

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

I dont know posted:

When breaching the shield wall Paul says something about how they can afford to lose some men, but the equipment is irreplaceable.

Actually it was the exact opposite.

"I told those men to leave their equipment!" Paul said.
"Fremen do not like to abandon equipment, Muad'Dib," one of his Fedaykin chided.
"Men are more important than equipment now," Paul said. "We'll have more equipment than we can use soon or have no need for any equipment."

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Reading God Emperor of Dune for the first time after rereading Dune, Dune: Messiah, and Children of Dune. I hope it doesn't suck :ohdear:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Kull wahad!

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

exmachina posted:

If you are reading GEoD right after CoD then you are going to be fine. The narration style is well introduced, one of the best beginnings in the series IMHO

Yeah, I'm feeling comfortable with it now, got about 2 hours deep last night and I dig it. Definitely stopping once I finish Chapterhouse though.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

skasion posted:

God Emperor is a weird book with a lot of talking/ranting relative to the amount of plot movement, but I don’t think it’s too hard to get through.

That's been my impression so far, Leto II is just such a dweeb but it's at least interesting to read. Especially after coming fresh off the first three books.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
That’s because it’s Dune: Part 2 :colbert:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Now say "Tleilaxu"

I won't defend it but I first read it as
tlee LAX ooh

Looking at it now I kind of think the i might represent it's own syllable

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 2, 2021

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Ror posted:

I always pronounced Piter as Peter when I read the books, but I guess it has to be different.

Same tbh, it wasn't until I saw Lynch Dune that "Pie-tur" seemed like probably what was meant.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
The spice gas is stored in the head balls.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I have finally finished God Emperor and all it did was make me want to read Heretics just to get the full implications that the epilogue left out. I kinda dig the path that left us on though, really echoes Christian mythology in a cool way.

4/5 stars.

loving cheered in my head when the Worm disintegrated.

Re: Eyes of Ibad: movie looks cool, don't care why the eyes aren't 1:1 like the book description, it gets the point across in a visual medium. If they were truly deep, blue-within-blue it would look cool, too, but I'm in this for the wormsign, dig?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Also loving Leto II is like every poster you hate, jesus christ.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Uwu we have anime eyes the likes of which God has never seen!

Your avatar is my official picture of Leto II, I can't not see it when he's off on another arrogant, whiny rant.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
The pee is stored in the catch pockets

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Crazy to think Doja Cat is an Atreides

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
It just felt like the proper way.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
My read was that Wanna’s Space Pussy Magic had a lot to do with the effect on Yueh, Yueh’s hope she was actually still alive, and Yueh’s experience with and hatred of the Harkonnens. He was somewhat unique among Suk because he married a Spice Girl. Many carrots and sticks before a Suk says, “I want to kill a man.”

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Imagined posted:

He specifically says (the first time he mentions what the Harkonnens are doing to him) that he wants to make sure they can't hurt her anymore. So he acknowledges that she might be dead already, but feels compelled to make sure. IMHO there's absolutely no indication that he ever thought surviving himself or rescuing her was likely or even possible.

Ah yeah that’s a good point and fits well with the Suk conditioning about “harm to others.”

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

free hubcaps posted:

brian herbert
brian herbert
brian herbert

:mods:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Better be glad you weren't standing in front of a mirror when you posted that.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

kiimo posted:

A can of non-dolphin-safe tuna

terrible porpoise

i'm sorry

:five:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I was today years old when I found out Dune ripped-off Star Wars.

We did it reddit

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Ingmar terdman posted:

There once was a worm-god prophetic
Whose lectures would oft turn kinetic
He winked with a nod
Looking down at his bod
'Perhaps I should wear a prosthetic'

:ck5:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I have decided to watch this at home, gonna do it tonight after I finish building some furniture and get baked.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Watched it at home with a big TV and booming surround sound.

It was FANTASTIC.

Personally, I always disliked Lynch Dune so I made no comparisons to it. This movie fucks. It fucks hard until you are almost finished.

I am ready for Dune II because I have the balls of Ibad iykwim

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
:ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Ah fug, I uploaded the wrong one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

!Klams posted:

So I've read the books and watched the movie countless times and watched the miniseries, but I still don't really understand / remember what the deal is with the Worms in terms of, why they 'are' the spice, and what the deal with the sandtrout is?

Like, they wrap themselves around water so adult ones don't have to touch it and then die and become spice... or something? And that's why they wrap around children's hands in that game they play / Leto II in that awesome human centipede cosplay he does? But then, if that's what the baby worms do, how do they make it to adults?

What's the whole, cycle, there?

Sandtrout are the larval stage, they encapsulate water which, when/if they make it to sandworm, is part of the biological process of making spice.

The water they encapsulated becomes the Water of Life in the worm, so when the Fremen kill it for drugs, it's just the vestige of the water encapsulated by the sandtrout. The water of life is pure spice essence and the extreme energy from the worm produces oxygen and shits spice all over the desert.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Spits on your desk

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

The Bloop posted:

CHOOM GANG

CHOAM GANG

:ibadpop:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

The Bloop posted:

I wish I could give a post a wedgie

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
At home with a decent sound system, the Voice is the same, they drive the dialog hard over the bass channel and it sounds incredible.

I have a 7.X system so my viewing, twice now, at home has been very good.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Dare to dream :allears:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

skasion posted:

It doesn’t matter if it’s literally Wanna or not, the point is that you understand what the Harkonnens will do to people who are under their power. Since they don’t really talk about Halleck’s or Duncan’s experience with them and the Fremen seem to be doing fine against them (as cheesed off as they are about it), it’s important to have some kind of gratuitous demonstration of their awfulness. The spider woman is essentially the heart plug twink the Baron whacks right before his motor oil shower in Lynch Dune

Pretty much this. The spider pet thingie was just an aesthetic choice for exhibiting the Harkonnens and nothing more.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Your posts are typed poo poo fashion in the thread. Who told you to do that?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

kiimo posted:

Leto at 14: Plans within Plans

Leto at 40: Canceling Plans within Plans

:golfclap:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
she swellin my beef til I'm off

Adbot