Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Why not have all the MLS teams in Califormia? Can't wait to see that Bakersfield - Fresno rivalry heat the gently caress up.
Okay smartass yes there's already plenty of teams in California. But I'll gladly take Sacramento over a Nashville entry that's going to get in because they're screwing the local taxpayers to the point where the league loves them.

Also reportedly the reason why Sacramento isn't getting in is that the Don feels that their bid, which now includes two billionaires, doesn't have the money he feels is needed :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
TBF, I wouldn't want Jed York involved in my league either.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

So we signed this guy:

https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2017/12/19/la-galaxy-sign-defender-rolf-feltscher

He's a CB/RB that's ok I guess.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

XBenedict posted:

Why not have all the MLS teams in Califormia? Can't wait to see that Bakersfield - Fresno rivalry heat the gently caress up.

I was hoping San Diego would get a team. Definitely would not be going to loving Sacramento to see a game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DR AIDS posted:

I was hoping San Diego would get a team. Definitely would not be going to loving Sacramento to see a game.
Honest question: how much should that matter?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DR AIDS posted:

I was hoping MLS would never get more teams and focus on having a watchable product instead of feeding their Ponzi scheme.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Actually according to bigsoccer the US is a big country and therefore could easily support 69 teams apparently

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Apparently 2nd expansion announcement won't be until after new years because

https://twitter.com/jwilliamscincy/status/943321838800850944

https://twitter.com/kkfla737/status/943243902764634113

lol if it ends up being detroit

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Actually according to bigsoccer the US is a big country and therefore could easily support 69 teams apparently

if canada can support a 10 team first division the usa can support a 100 team 5 tier pyramid

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

if canada can support a 10 team first division the usa can support a 100 team 5 tier pyramid

Still :lol:ing that we live in a world where more Canadians watched the MLS Cup final than Americans.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Still :lol:ing that we live in a world where more Canadians watched the MLS Cup final than Americans.

Well sure, but it was a Canadian team playing against the smallest American one. No wonder

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Quakes sign Swedish mohawk guy Magnus Eriksson as a DP

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
League website says the Rapids have signed Edgar Castillo on loan from Monterrey for a year, with an option to buy at season’s end. No DP slot or TAM will be used.

link

Works for me. He’s got to be better than Mikel Williams was at least.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Woooooo Nashville!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Everyone gets a team!
https://twitter.com/JulianCouncil/status/943617064555745280?s=17

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean by the picture I just assumed it was a Spartacus extra who is out of work now the series is over.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I mean that would be the smart thing to do but it seems like that particular reporter may have been misinterpreting something Garber said (judging by how the other reporters are reporting that Q&A)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

There was Another loving Re-Entry Draft today:

LAG: Servando Carrasco (from ORL)
DCU: Gonzalo Verón (from NYR)
LAF: Callum Mallace (from SEA (I seriously forgot we even had him))

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Between this and the Saprissa signing, DC is trying for their usual quiet bargain bin shopping. Which, considering they just saw their revenues get torpedoed by Ha Ha You Motherfuckers Don’t Get Audi All Year, it makes sense.

I hope Audi gets blown up and they have to play in West Potomac Park for the next decade.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

DCU: Gonzalo Verón (from NYR)
LAF: Callum Mallace (from SEA (I seriously forgot we even had him))

NYRB is quietly having a terrible offseason, even IF the rumoured Kljestan trade doesn't actually happen.

Also re: Mallace, I never understood why you guys signed him in the first place.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

whypick1 posted:

There was Another loving Re-Entry Draft today:

This seems like a good thread title.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Also reportedly the reason why Sacramento isn't getting in is that the Don feels that their bid, which now includes two billionaires, doesn't have the money he feels is needed :wtc:

Apparently the bit about "including two billionaires" was...hmm, overstated, which probably explains the mess:

https://twitter.com/NickMiller510/status/943910848455589888

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i personally want mls to have 40 teams, so keep it up, garbs

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

MLS Cup Final 2036:

Albuquerque vs New Orleans

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

As a resident of Albuquerque I approve of this horrifying scenario

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

This, but unironically.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I still firmly believe once MLS gets large enough, there will be closed pro/rel.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I still firmly believe once MLS gets large enough, there will be closed pro/rel.

I also believe this, although it would be kind of a troll of them to do so.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 22, 2017

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I don’t really understand why MLS would be motivated to do that. It’s not real pro/rel so it’s not gonna shut up the purists, and it’d be a super weird system so it wouldn’t appeal (and would be hard to explain) to casual fans. It also seems like if that were actually a viable way to expand a league without diluting quality then one of the big four would have tried it already.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

camoseven posted:

I don’t really understand why MLS would be motivated to do that. It’s not real pro/rel so it’s not gonna shut up the purists, and it’d be a super weird system so it wouldn’t appeal (and would be hard to explain) to casual fans.

All true, but I mostly think it is likely because it is a way to handle a large number of teams that, unlike regional conference splits, doesn't leave you with teams of similar level that don't see each other for years. (As the league expands, assuming that we want everyone in a conference to at least play each other, and also assuming we want to stick to 34 games plus playoffs, cross-conference games will necessarily get rarer and rarer.)

quote:

It also seems like if that were actually a viable way to expand a league without diluting quality then one of the big four would have tried it already.

I've never been entirely convinced by the "diluting quality" argument when it comes to soccer, mostly because a) there is a basically limitless supply of MLS-standard foreign players playing in leagues for which MLS is still a step up, and even with international limits you can assemble most of a decent team this way, and b) because the US and Canada are so big there is a lot of unscouted territory and a lot of talent slipping through the cracks that new teams could find and train in the near term.

But that said, it might be difficult to get owners to agree to "suddenly half of you can't ever contend for the league title in any given season", yes. This isn't something I need to happen, I just think it's a plausible and perhaps even likely landing space.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 22, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

40 Team MLS would just split into two leagues ala baseball/football, and I would assume would only play against one another in the playoffs / open cup like those sports did before they added inter-league games which are dumb and messes everything up.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

As a resident of Albuquerque I approve of this horrifying scenario

Don’t be greedy. You already have the airport.

Bring back the Dukes and we’ll talk.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

This, but unironically.

i wasn't being ironic

and yeah i mean the old school MLB style, split leagues that crossover in cups and playoffs

i'm pretty sure i posted about this like 5 years ago or more idk but i've always thought MLS should become 40 teams, 2 single tables, with crossover in playoffs and cups only. Pro/rel is never happening in American sports so this is the best outcome all around and there really honestly isn't a lack of viable soccer markets left. And i think the "talent dilution" stuff is loving nonsense

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 24, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I like New England's new primary jersey. The two stripes are cool.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Edward Mass posted:

I like New England's new primary jersey. The two stripes are cool.

I can dig it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Portland signed Julio Cascante, who is a fraud and they probably signed him due to a highlight video from the two games where he played well all year.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Simone Poodoin posted:

Portland signed Julio Cascante, who is a fraud and they probably signed him due to a highlight video from the two games where he played well all year.

So, overall an improvement for Portland's backline?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Simone Poodoin posted:

I see nothing wrong with this

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Kljestan is now a Lion

That's...interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Orlando pulling off the heist of the offseason and it's barely January. How on earth do you take that little for your best creative player, even if he's 32?

• Locked thread