Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Sure, I’ll sign up. My experience is “played a bunch of civ4 a long time ago but never at any difficulty but the easiest (settler?)”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Ok! So it turns out CivIV is a little less "riding a bike" and a little more "wait how do I move the camera" and also I've never done screenshots for an lp but hopefully I haven't screwed up irrevocably.

Here's where I took control. One warrior is heading to Rome to garrison there and remove the unhappiness from lack of military presence (though I screwed up and ran it around for a few turns) and one warrior is heading to explore SE of us. The two workers are building a mine, and we have a scout over to the west (not shown).

I decided to take the suggestion and settle here, where Chucat suggested. I am not used to settling cities so close to each other, and before this thread probably would have settled on the peninsula (?) east of us. I do think we should get there eventually, those are some nice looking resources over there.

I found Cumae and start it on a worker. Not sure whether that was the right decision, I forgot about the food thing and Rome was building a worker itself, but it's what I did.

I diverted one of the mine-building workers to go get a pasture on those pigs for Cumae.

We're the biggest! I think it's kind of early for that to be too much of a difference, but I don't really have a feel for that yet.

This seems like a nice spot for a city, but it'll probably be a while before we get there since we're bunching up.

I sent our scout exploring west.

I'm guessing the "cruel oppression" is the unhappiness from whipping? I never whipped when I played.

We finished writing.

Briefly considered filling in hunting, but we don't have anything that needs a camp improvement and I didn't feel that scouts or spearmen were particularly needed, so I started us on iron-working. Also, for some reason the background when looking at the tech tree is a blinding fuschia.

With Rome's worker finished I decide to get a one-turn warrior out to go remove Antium's unhappiness at its lack of garrison. The worker goes off to help get Cumae's pigs.

I notice Antium is working an unimproved clam, so when Rome finishes the warrior I start it working on a work boat. The warrior goes to Antium.

The Celts ask for open borders - I accept, figuring that if we're being warlike the ability to scout ahead of time would be nice, and I don't think we can squeeze anything more out of him for it right now. This together with the city placement is probably the most important thing that happens during my turn.

The workers finish the pasture and mine and I send two to go build a cottage in an AI recommended spot (where the northwest worker is) because I don't really know what I'm doing. The third I think goes up to get the horses that are now in Antium's borders.

The warrior has been exploring southeast, and found Brennus, so at least we know where he is. Didn't find any particularly good spots to settle on the way, though. We might settle anyway to have a staging city against Brennus, but I will leave that to someone else. We have no Praetorians yet, and we don't know too much about how he's doing/what his empire looks like.

Cumae finishes its worker and I start it on a lighthouse for more food.

I micromanage slightly and move Cumae's person to the pigs rather than the clams for a bit more food/a hammer at the cost of a few gold.

Here's where I left off, Antium's clam has been workboated and Rome started work on a granary, because I like granaries. Antium finished it's lighthouse and started working on a settler. I might have made another warrior, I forget.

Hopefully I didn't screw up too badly.

Here's the save: click here

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
We actually do have a warrior down there, not in his territory yet but close.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
As the player who you’re picking up from, go for it. I’ve never used whipping before and I just forgot. And yeah, that spot is fantastic.

• Locked thread