Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

blaise rascal posted:

Very "byob" birds #1: The Greater Prairie Chicken
The male looks like this:

The female looks like this:

The big air sac around the male's neck allows it to make the characteristic "booming" call that it uses to attract mates:

So prettz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Bird rules :

If you love bird let it go.

If it comes back you have to make a nice place for it with seeds and let it inside when there is bad weather.

Don't make fun of cloaca. Very sensitive about this.

Pet bird 3x, no more, no less.

Birds do not like any post-wwii attempts at new orleans style jazz.

assemblyrequired

I can tell you anything you want about birds
"Birds have a voracious appetite for pizza" - say the word and I'll tell you it
"Birds are a close relative of the jellyfish, because of their lack of feathers" - again, your wish is my command, I'll tell you it if you want me to
"There is only one bird, his name is melvin, and he's indigenous to eastern Pennsylvania" - I can't tell you this, sorry. I'm so sorry.
I'm sure there are more things I can tell you about birds, just ask me a fact and I'll see if I can tell you it

Manifisto

Hugh Malone posted:

Bird rules :

If you love bird let it go.

If it comes back you have to make a nice place for it with seeds and let it inside when there is bad weather.

Don't make fun of cloaca. Very sensitive about this.

Pet bird 3x, no more, no less.

Birds do not like any post-wwii attempts at new orleans style jazz.

assemblyrequired posted:

I can tell you anything you want about birds
"Birds have a voracious appetite for pizza" - say the word and I'll tell you it
"Birds are a close relative of the jellyfish, because of their lack of feathers" - again, your wish is my command, I'll tell you it if you want me to
"There is only one bird, his name is melvin, and he's indigenous to eastern Pennsylvania" - I can't tell you this, sorry. I'm so sorry.
I'm sure there are more things I can tell you about birds, just ask me a fact and I'll see if I can tell you it

ty nesamdoom!

UWBW

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Birdo, an enemy from the NES classic Super Mario Bros. 2, was for a very long time thought to be a leftist-leaning communist sympathizer, but a closer look at the manual clearly states Birdo is in fact a Republican

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig, and Koishi for the last one. TVsVeryOwn made the CyberMike.

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo

assemblyrequired posted:

umm i need to know more about this

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Twenty Four

If they had arms, all birds would be good at basketball, just like Larry.

assemblyrequired

my new dog posted:

umm i need to know more about this

If I could tell you anything about this I'd probably say that he works a 9-5 job at an accounting firm, and that he owns an Andy Griffith show sweatshirt that he wears on the weekends
But that's not something I can tell you, sorry

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
i knew daniel, the crow that rode a tiny bmx bike. and he took it everywhere, to grind on rooftops and ride down rooftops. they wanted him in the leagues but animal rights were not the same back then. in some cases for the better imo, just look how giraffes took over basketball

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Very byob bird #2: the Northern Mockingbird

Many birds, such as blue jays, have been observed to imitate sounds they hear. But the king of sound imitation is unquestionably the mockingbird.

Most famously, mockingbirds will mimic the calls of other birds, but they will also attempt to make many other sounds they hear; for instance, I personally have heard a mockingbird mimic the sound of an ambulance siren.

The only time I encountered a mockingbird, the one I saw was a "northern mockingbird." This is by far the most common mockingbird species in North America. This particular species has a "least concern" endangerment status, meaning it is not endangered at all, but I still consider seeing one to be a rare treat. Well, unless you like your peace and quiet - it seems like these birds never shut up.

Here is a video that does a pretty good job of demonstrating the crazy variety of sounds these birds can make:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-mOsezFIgw

Both males and females sing, but males sing more often, especially during mating season. Males use the complicated calls to show off their intelligence as they compete for mates, in between doing displays:

Wikipedia says that a mature northern mockingbird's repertoire contains 43 to 203 different songs, and that a bird will continue learning new songs throughout its life.

Also, Wikipedia correctly notes that mockingbirds are quite significant in American culture. They've been featured in songs:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush,_Little_Baby
That one book we all read in high school:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird
And are the official state bird for 5 of the 50 states.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

• Locked thread