Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
My Windows 7 PC has just started doing this exact same thing over the last few days. CDI is good, Memtest86 is good, disk space is good, CPU temperature was below 60C, mobo temp less than that. GPU is sitting at less than 40C.
As you say, the screen (both, in my case) goes black, the last played sound stretches out and I'm left with hitting the reset button. Mostly in games, but it just happened not 10 minutes ago when I was writing a forum post.

I've been meaning to buy a new PC for a while and maybe this will just drive me to do it. In the meantime, though, I might try and borrow a PSU from somewhere and see if that helps. I hate these mystery hangs that leave you with nothing to go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The only reliable fix I've ever had when I get that Nvidia driver crash thing is rolling back to an earlier restore point.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Well that went well. :(
Rolled back to a restore point from the end of December and now I'm stuck in an inescapable "automatic repair" boot loop. Nothing I've found online can get me out of it so its time for a reinstall of the OS. What a treat.
At least I can access all my disks from the command console so I can copy anything I need out of my user folder.

• Locked thread