Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

Chrome is the gold standard web browser implementation and lol if you use anything else.

yeah, sort of true of course, much like ie4, 5 and 6 from '97 long into the naughts, and webdevs back then certainly didn't bother considering or testing outside of those either, but i still played around with the crashtastic netscape releases of the day, mozilla nightlies and so on

sometimes the road less travelled is just a bit of fun you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

akadajet posted:

As a web dev, I don't test my poo poo for either browser. Use Chrome.

that’s a terrible way to approach sites as a web dev. these days there’s really no excuse for a site that only works in a single browser

ultravoices posted:

saving your employer money for electricity.

a good employee and microsoft products user.

I specifically have my charging schedule synced up so that all my devices charge at work, sorry employer

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

I specifically have my charging schedule synced up so that all my devices charge at work, sorry employer

:yossame:

i just leave most of my chargers at work now. saves me $20+ a month

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

HoboMan posted:

do devices seriously use up $20 a month of electricity?? I always figure it’d be a buck max

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

that’s a terrible way to approach sites as a web dev. these days there’s really no excuse for a site that only works in a single browser

If it works in the reference web browser (chrome) and not in your lovely web browser, then your web browser is broken and it's your responsibility to fix it.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

akadajet posted:

If it works in the reference web browser (chrome) and not in your lovely web browser, then your web browser is broken and it's your responsibility to fix it.

*churns out a bunch of pages with lovely css and JavaScript* hey it works in chrome!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

*churns out a bunch of pages with lovely css and JavaScript* hey it works in chrome!

I can't help that your code is horrible, but if it works in Chrome then the behavior is correct.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

akadajet posted:

I can't help that your code is horrible, but if it works in Chrome then the behavior is correct.

so the way that chrome makes flexbox so full of gotchas that it's loving useless is the correct implementation?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

chrome is going to be the new ie6, isn't it?

"uh, this page doesn't display correctly in firefox or safari"

"works for me in chrome"
*CLOSED*
*WONTFIX*

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

HoboMan posted:

maybe 30-40 dollars a year if we're talking about 50W 24 hours a day and a .10 kwh cost.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ultravoices posted:

maybe 30-40 dollars a year if we're talking about 50W 24 hours a day and a .10 kwh cost.

idk i'm just going by my electricity bill. i have a lovely android that chews through it's battery in like 4 hours if i turn off power saving mode though

e: and i mean without me even using it

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

HoboMan posted:

idk i'm just going by my electricity bill. i have a lovely android that chews through it's battery in like 4 hours if i turn off power saving mode though

e: and i mean without me even using it

a phone is like 6 watts.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HoboMan posted:

so the way that chrome makes flexbox so full of gotchas that it's loving useless is the correct implementation?

idk what you are talking about. chrome flexbox works just fine.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

"works for me in chrome"
*CLOSED*
*WONTFIX*

no. chrome gets updated like every week with good stuff.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but when will the superfluous "r" be removed...

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The_Franz posted:

"works for me in chrome"
*CLOSED*
*WONTFIX*

that’s already happening, it’s why you see a push from Mozilla and Microsoft to improve their browsers

even so though, really? 10 minutes to test your page in another browser to make sure you aren’t churning out garbage is too much to ask? 🙄

i mean the standards today are implemented pretty evenly right now, so it’s not even a huge ask. though, that might change if google can dictate the standard

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

even so though, really? 10 minutes to test your page in another browser to make sure you arent churning out garbage is too much to ask? 🙄

my time is expensive. it's much cheaper for you to download and use a better web browser.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
u paid for the whole browser

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The_Franz posted:

"works for me in chrome"
*CLOSED*
*WONTFIX*

i've used lovely backoffice software web apps that crow at you multiple times that they only work in chrome and you should only be using chrome to access them. seemed to mostly work fine in other browsers but the gall of that is quite something when a major selling point of uploading all your poo poo to this no-name company's servers is that it's universally accessible from anywhere

maybe that warning was just shorthand for 'PLEASE DON'T ACCESS THIS WITH INTERNET EXPLORER AND EXPECT IT TO WORK' idk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

To be honest. I'm glad our company now only supports the latest version of IE and Edge. I don't know what the timeline to get off of IE completely is since it's the only thing available with the LTSB versions of Windows.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

George posted:

u paid for the whole browser

but you'll only need the chrome

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

but you'll only need the chome

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

The Management posted:

the new Firefox is surprisingly not awful anymore. also the rendering engine looks a lot like WebKit and distinctly not blurry like gecko

they're still using gecko. but maybe you enabled webrender?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

The_Franz posted:

"works for me in chrome"
*CLOSED*
*WONTFIX*

https://twitter.com/AirbnbHelp/status/752829250198245376

https://twitter.com/GrouponHelpUS/status/934896721842225152

https://twitter.com/stshank/status/938791228564389888

https://twitter.com/jacobrossi/status/872543383964631040

and of course GOOG

https://twitter.com/cpeterso/status/920733889651384321

https://twitter.com/pcwalton/status/929099975878782976

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

they're still using gecko. but maybe you enabled webrender?

they've been merging servo into gecko so it's changing quite a bit

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
nah quantum has integrated Stylo and the mp4 decoder (and a few other minor things) but the major parts like the layout engine and webrender aren't yet ready or integrated. i think webrender might be under a nightly flag though.

for historical reasons servo is both the project name and the layout engine so when moz they talk about quantum they use both terms interchangably

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mmmm I wonder what kind of web standards hell awaits us from an ad company

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
still better than 5 loving years of stagnation with ie6

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope. all the changes since IE6 have been infinitely worse for the web. the abuse of javascript caused by failfox and chome have ruined the internet forever.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

nope. all the changes since IE6 have been infinitely worse for the web. the abuse of javascript caused by failfox and chome have ruined the internet forever.

it's like the new get off my lawn.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it is pretty hilarious how web devs circled around and eventually landed on the worst loving tech: javascript

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Last Chance posted:

it is pretty hilarious how web devs circled around and eventually landed on the worst loving tech: javascript

when your other options are flash and java applets the choice is pretty obvious

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qirex posted:

when your other options are flash and java applets the choice is pretty obvious

Suicide.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

it's hilarious how yosposters seem to think javascript today is the same language from 1997

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

says the moron who thinks ie6 was good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
IE6 was good.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

akadajet posted:

it's hilarious how yosposters seem to think javascript today is the same language from 1997

it has definitely mutated into something worse, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

IE6 was good.

Right, and everything afterwards has been downhill.

• Locked thread