Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is at minimum a bit confusing since every system with edge also has a separate application named internet explorer

And they have the same icon. And they are both lovely and broken browsers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

different kinds of brokenness are not interchangeable though, and in my book edge has the newer cooler set of weird behaviors~

As a web dev, I don't test my poo poo for either browser. Use Chrome.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HoboMan posted:

getting web pages to work properly in both edge and internet explorer is some bullshit

Sure, but either or.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chrome is the gold standard web browser implementation and lol if you use anything else.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

that’s a terrible way to approach sites as a web dev. these days there’s really no excuse for a site that only works in a single browser

If it works in the reference web browser (chrome) and not in your lovely web browser, then your web browser is broken and it's your responsibility to fix it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

*churns out a bunch of pages with lovely css and JavaScript* hey it works in chrome!

I can't help that your code is horrible, but if it works in Chrome then the behavior is correct.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HoboMan posted:

so the way that chrome makes flexbox so full of gotchas that it's loving useless is the correct implementation?

idk what you are talking about. chrome flexbox works just fine.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

chrome is going to be the new ie6, isn't it?

"uh, this page doesn't display correctly in firefox or safari"

"works for me in chrome"
*CLOSED*
*WONTFIX*

no. chrome gets updated like every week with good stuff.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

even so though, really? 10 minutes to test your page in another browser to make sure you arent churning out garbage is too much to ask? 🙄

my time is expensive. it's much cheaper for you to download and use a better web browser.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

To be honest. I'm glad our company now only supports the latest version of IE and Edge. I don't know what the timeline to get off of IE completely is since it's the only thing available with the LTSB versions of Windows.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

it is pretty hilarious how web devs circled around and eventually landed on the worst loving tech: javascript

it's hilarious how yosposters seem to think javascript today is the same language from 1997

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

says the moron who thinks ie6 was good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

IE6 was good.

Right, and everything afterwards has been downhill.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i suppose you could stop using it if it's that bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

all I have to do is hold out until web assembly kills js forever.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wanna see this, but for implementations of Doom

• Locked thread