Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

엉덩이가 바지를 먹었다. = "My rear end ate my pants."

It describes a naturally occurring wedgie you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
Kick rocks (get the gently caress out)

Stuffed shirt (full of yourself)

Get off your high horse (stop bein’ stuck up)

Putting on airs (haughty)

Toe-down/smashed/three sheets to the wind/13 flavors of hosed up (drunk/high)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DemonDarkhorse posted:

im from wisconsin, and we also use "ope," maybe its a midwestern thing.
we also use "bubbler" for drinking fountain.

The "bubbler" zones are weird, it's like Wisconsin, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island but nowhere else.

My in-laws used to say this one, but I have never heard it anywhere else:

Me: "You're back!"
Father-in-law: "My back, my front, all of me!"

They both grew up in Brooklyn in the 30s/40s.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

"I can't tell poo poo from a sandwich when it comes to [thing/subject]"

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

doverhog posted:

Kun ihminen nukkuu, sille ei tapahdu mitään. Mutta kun se ei nuku, se voi saada vaikka kalan.
When a person sleeps nothing happens to him. When they don't sleep they may be given a fish or something.

I never knew a proverb could be a soulmate, but here we are

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
"Look son, a horse fucker"

Typically used the first time you're out with your son and you see someone loving a horse.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
Northern BC oil patch here. Lots of the Newfie terms are heard around here as well as a few others:

The classic Canadian “eh” to end sentences

oval office Hair- A very small of measurement

Trainwrecked- Drunk

“That’s gayer than cum on a moustache”

Fuckin’ the dog/ making puppies- Not working/ being lazy.

Lots of overuse of the word “there”. As in “Oh yeah you can see the tire there she’s goin flat there eh”

WhipperSnipper- Weed Whacker/ Weed Eater

Ignorant- rude. “He was gettin right ignorant and yellin’ in my face there”

Unthaw- thaw (this one pisses me off)

Alaska Highway Speed Bump- Buffalo/ Bison

“When the cat is away the mice will play”

The Old Lady- Wife/ Girlfriend

Give’r/ Just send it- Just get it done

Braap/ Rip/ Mudding- Going snowmobiling/ ATVing/ Off-roading. “Let’s go for a Braap/ Goin’ for a rip/ Goin’ mudding n’ fishin’” Also everyone says Skidoo instead of snowmobile

“He came un-cunted”- He lost his temper

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is "my bad" a Michigan thing? I've only ever heard it from people from this state. I can confirm "ope" happens in Michigan, too.

One of my dad's favorites is, "Watching you do [whatever] is like watching a monkey try to gently caress a football," as in you're doing a whole lot, but not really getting anything done. My grandfather used to say, after you made a statement he found incredulous, "Yeah, and your rear end sucks buttermilk."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Leavemywife posted:

Is "my bad" a Michigan thing? I've only ever heard it from people from this state. I can confirm "ope" happens in Michigan, too.

I don't know where it started out but hell I'm in England and we say it here these days. Modern media spreads poo poo effectively.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"My bad" started as a thing among jazz musicians in Chicago in the 1960s. Then it was repopularized by rappers in the late 1990s.

"Don't get a wild hair across your rear end" is a thing my dad used to say.

I'd like to see a distribution map of "snowmobile" vs. "snow machine" vs. "Ski-doo".

Local Massachusetts driving terms: Bang a left, hang a U-ie (U-turn), book it (go faster)

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Dec 12, 2017

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Came here for bang a you-ie and book it.

Is calling a water fountain a bubbler truly a New England thing? I remember being somewhere in the south and they looked at me funny. Edit - answered above sort of.

I also found out rather embarrassingly late in life about "wicked" being a regional thing.

My grandfather was a huge boxing fan and when a guy got knocked out he'd say "he just got put on queer street." I think it's traced back to England a long time ago, at least someone told me that. He also used to say he had to wet the horse when he needed to take a piss, which I've never ever heard anybody else say, but he was a WW2 vet so maybe it was a military thing.

My uncle always says he's gotta hit the head when he goes to take a piss but I think that's also a military thing as he's a Vietnam vet.

Up poo poo's creek when you're in trouble

Go gently caress yourself - not exclusive, just with more bottled rage and acceptable at Thanksgiving dinner

Tim Whatley has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Dec 12, 2017

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Ones that I've heard used in conversation:

he don't got the sense that god gave a billy goat - he is stupid
since he was knee high to a snake / grasshopper - since he was very young
six of one, half a dozen of the other - same thing / doesn't matter
bless your heart - you are a dumb useless gently caress (also "bless their heart" if not speaking directly to them) I cannot express how insulting this is but it is perfectly socially acceptable to say to someone, especially if you are an elderly woman
couldn't hit the broad side of a barn - bad at aiming
y'all - second person plural pronoun (like "you" used to be), not generally used to address a single person in my experience
fixing to - preparing to do, about to do
fixins - side dishes, or all of the options put on food (e.g. a burger with all the fixins)
all hat and no cattle - talks big but can't back it up
that dog won't hunt - idea won't work / I'm not buying your excuse
howdy - hello
Coke - any kind of soda / pop / fizzy drink

nightchild12 has a new favorite as of 07:29 on Dec 12, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CommonShore posted:

I would love some transliterations of strange Icelandic and Finnish sayings. I imagine that they're things like "that is not my fermented shark which is the one in the derby which worries the gentlemen in question" for "no thanks."

I know that he does not walk whole to the forrest but if he doesn't stop ripping his maw I'll show him where David bought the ale, I may not look like much but I don't call everything my grandmother.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

doverhog posted:

Here's a few:

Parta ei kasva poikasille, eikä turpajouhet jouva joutaville.
A small boy cannot grow a beard, and neither can a useless man.

Paska reissu mutta tulipahan tehtyä.
It was a poo poo trip but still went there.

Elämä on laiffii
Life is life.

Kun ihminen nukkuu, sille ei tapahdu mitään. Mutta kun se ei nuku, se voi saada vaikka kalan.
When a person sleeps nothing happens to him. When they don't sleep they may be given a fish or something.

Tempaise niin että kusi lentää.
Put in so much effort you involuntarily piss all over the place.

Where is "Do not teach your father how to gently caress."?

doverhog posted:

Elämä on laiffii
Life is life.

la la la la la 

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Slick as owl poo poo/Slicker than owl poo poo: After a hard rain, the road was as slick as owl poo poo
Full as a tick: After eating way too much I'm ...
That dog'd bite you: Comes out of the old joke of a person who, upon observing a dog licking its nuts, said 'I wish I could do that'
Pack in your shirt: Tuck in your shirt.
poo poo on a shingle: Very bad food

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

poo poo on a shingle: Very bad food

This can also mean creamed chipped beef on toast. Which is delicious.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

nightchild12 posted:

This can also mean creamed chipped beef on toast. Which is delicious.

Not sure if you’re making a joke, but that’s definitely what he’s referring to. His name is “RC and Moon Pie” and he grew up with “Slicker’n owl poo poo” and “That dog’d bite you.” There is a 10,000,000% chance his mother had a pressure cooker used exclusively to make chipped beef for poo poo on a shingle.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've always liked "get a (black) dog up ya". Its meaning comes down to context and can vary from "gently caress off" to an expression of encouragement.

Not exactly a saying, but I also like the use of "but" at the end of a sentence to mean "though", as in:
:j: That's a bit pricey.
:v: It's heaps good, but.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Geych von kloppenvant - Go bang your head against the wall, in whatever form of Yiddish my grandfather spoke. Mom's standard response to complaints of boredom.

Not my first rodeo.
Don't do me any favors.
A fool and his money...
Need it like a hole in the head.
Don't be a chazer (a pig)
Dippy eggs/sunnyside up eggs
Hoagie
State Store
Jag off
Jawn
Bat-trees - batteries in Schuylkill county
Needs/wants doing/done (to be is dropped)

SuperiorToaster
Jul 22, 2004
Inferior
Fun Shoe
Hella

California. Sort of a contraction of hell of. Means alot, many, much.

"I'm hella mad"

"That's hella poo poo"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Ever since someone pointed it out to me, I've noticed that in certain words, I substitute the letter d for t; the word becomes bedder, vederan, stuff like that. It's apparently part of what makes the Michigan accent.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Leavemywife posted:

Ever since someone pointed it out to me, I've noticed that in certain words, I substitute the letter d for t; the word becomes bedder, vederan, stuff like that. It's apparently part of what makes the Michigan accent.

Eh, I kinda do that to but I grew up in Oregon.
Also people pronounce poor "pour" here.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Some Japanese ones:

道草を食う (michikusa wo kuu): lit. "to eat wayside grass", means to loiter or get distracted when going somewhere.

猫の手も借りたい (neko no te mo karitai): to be so busy that one would welcome even the help of a cat.

おはよう (ohayou) just means "good morning", but in parts of Western Japan it's acceptable to greet someone with this if it's the first time you see them that day, no matter what time it is (I'd show up for a night shift at 10PM and still get greeted with "good morning!").

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Not here to gently caress spiders - let's get down to business

Piss-bolt - run

Pissed as a fart - drunk

Muck a U-ey - perform a u-turn

Pull a root - meet a partner for sexual intercourse.

Couldn't pull a root in a brothel - someone not very successful at meeting said partners, possibly because they have a face like a dropped pie/smashed crab/bashed cabbage.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hardcordion posted:

Newfoundlanders are famous for our weird speech and turns of phrase.

What're y'at? - What's up? Usual response is "This is it."
How's she cuttin' - How's it going?

These two in particular are very very Irish-sounding, which obviously makes sense since so many newfies came originally from Ireland.

Some Irishisms off the top of my head:

Using 'pure' to mean 'very' e.g. That's pure class = very good indeed, pure shite = terrible
I'm only codding you= I am just messing with you. Apparently this is from an Elizabethan term for the testicles - cods, as in codpiece.
Deadly= Brilliant, amazing.
Go 'way out of that! / Go 'way! - amused disbelief at something you just said
I will, yeah - I will never, ever ever do the thing you just asked me to do.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Picked some old-timey multi-word ones that you still might hear. British English has a loving tonne of synonyms for drunk. I'd say easily over 200 that people would recognise in common parlance.

Sun is over the yard arm - It's an acceptable time to start drinking

Wet your whistle - To have a first drink

To be in one's cups - To be in the process of drinking a lot

To be half-cut - To be tipsy/on the way to being drunk

Sober as a judge - Drunk

Pissed as a newt - Drunk

Three sheets to the wind - Drunk

Hair of the dog (that bit you) - Drinking alcohol to cure a hangover

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Now let's get some up to date Cockney rhyme slang in here.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Munchables posted:

Also people pronounce poor "pour" here.

Wait, how do those two differ elsewhere? In England they're homophones...

I grew up in Cornwall: "fair to middling" = alright.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

One of my dad's favorites is, "Watching you do [whatever] is like watching a monkey try to gently caress a football," as in you're doing a whole lot, but not really getting anything done. My grandfather used to say, after you made a statement he found incredulous, "Yeah, and your rear end sucks buttermilk."

I remember my bad in Ohio all the way back to the 80s.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The_White_Crane posted:

Wait, how do those two differ elsewhere? In England they're homophones...

I grew up in Cornwall: "fair to middling" = alright.

To me 'poor' rhymes with 'moor', while 'pour' rhymes with 'door'.

Depending of course on how you pronounce 'moor' and 'door'; this may not be very enlightening.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pookah posted:

To me 'poor' rhymes with 'moor', while 'pour' rhymes with 'door'.

To me, all those words rhyme.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'll just do some of my native western Bavaria:

Jetz is da Kas im Schachterl = 'Now the cheese is in the box', i.e. 'now the damage is done'
Ned auf da Brennsuppn dahergschwomma sei = 'Not having swum here in Brennsuppe [=a poor people's meal]', i.e. 'I'm not stupid'
Nix gwieß woaß ma ned = "Nobody knows nothing specific"
Schiach wia d'Nacht finschter = 'As ugly as the night is dark'
Schaung ma moi, na seng ma's scho = 'Let's see, then we'll see'
Scheiß da nix, na faid da nix = 'You won't have any scruples if you simply don't care'
Ghupft wia ghechtlt = 'jumped like hopped', i.e. it's the same
Hosch du a Schepperle? = 'Do you have a Schepperle [=untranslatable word coming from scheppern, '(to) rattle, clang', implying that your head is so empty and/or screwed up that it's rattling in there]?'
-> in that same vein something I heard in Vienna: Du bist a Kind, a deppertes; in deinem Kopf, da scheppert es = 'You're a dumb child whose head emits clanging noises'

Some nice expressions of surprise: Ja (i) verreck! = 'Wow, (I) die!'; Jetz werd's Doog! = 'Now the day begins!'; Do haut's da 'n Vogl naus! = 'This will forcibly remove the bird [from your head]'; Uia! = exclamation of amazed surprise; Hoi! = exclamation of confused surprise

e: oh yeah, I also like Ned gschimpft is globt gnua = 'No scolding is enough praise'

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Dec 12, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Now let's get some up to date Cockney rhyme slang in here.

Sadly it's not really a live wire in terms of coining new phrases. However I did learn one cool thing. There's a very soft insult "berk" which I haven't heard in the UK for a long time, but I never knew it derived from "Berkeley Hunt", which is rhyming slang for...

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Tiggum posted:

To me, all those words rhyme.

"Moor" is not a homophone for "More" in lots of parts of the UK. It's more like "Moo-ah" or "Moo-er"and "Poor" is like "Poo-ah" or "Poo-er". I guess if you squished together how you pronounce Pu Erh Tea.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

System Metternich posted:

I'll just do some of my native western Bavaria:

Jetz is da Kas im Schachterl = 'Now the cheese is in the box', i.e. 'now the damage is done'

More like this

System Metternich posted:

Nix gwieß woaß ma ned = "Nobody knows nothing specific"
Scheiß da nix, na faid da nix = 'You won't have any scruples if you simply don't care'
e: oh yeah, I also like Ned gschimpft is globt gnua = 'No scolding is enough praise'

Western Bavaria sounds like a sad place full of poor people who are suspicious of the government and/or nihilists wearing black turtlenecks.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I think you guys would enjoy Letterkenny Problems:

https://youtu.be/_KLSbCtinXs

Also I hear 'berk' a lot

Ruddled = drunk

My dad still says By Jove! Sometimes in surprise but not often any more. Also exclaiming 'SUGAR!' Instead of 'poo poo!' etc. His mum was a Methodist which may have something to do with it.

Also 'squire' as a way to refer to someone i.e: 'alright there, squire?'

edit: I remember being very tired and hungover before a lecture when someone asked me 'How's tricks?' and it took me a good few bleary minutes to work out I'd just been asked how I was.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Dec 12, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Reubenesque Sandwich posted:

This is your chicken to gently caress, I’m just here to hold the legs. (Going along with or just watching someone’s dumb idea, kind of an answer to “hold my beer.”)

Similarly, "keep on fuckin' that chicken" for "keep doing that stupid thing, it amuses me to watch you fail". Usable both in person or as commentary on the news.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

If it was a snake, it would have bit you. -- {Item being searched for} is right in front of you.

My dad was fond of "if it were a snake, you'd be dead".

tyblazitar posted:

猫の手も借りたい (neko no te mo karitai): to be so busy that one would welcome even the help of a cat.

That's fantastic.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
Some french ones.

Comme une poule qui a trouvé un couteau = 'like a chicken that found a knife', of someone completely confused.

C'est le petit jésus en culotte de velours = 'It's like baby jesus in velvet pants' , when drinking a particularly good alcohol.

On n'a pas élevé les cochons ensemble = 'We didn't raise pigs together', of/to someone who act like he's closer to you than he is (and should be, like boss/employee, teacher/student).

Llyd has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Dec 12, 2017

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Yoshi Jjang posted:

엉덩이가 바지를 먹었다. = "My rear end ate my pants."

It describes a naturally occurring wedgie you get.

I love this desperately.

I used to think a lot of sayings from back home (Western Canada) were common parlance until I said a few things to people out East or to immigrants here and them give me weird looks. Off the top of my head: gently caress(ing) the dog, which IIRC was like, pissing about at work or something to that effect. Or not showing up. Can't quite remember.

"Half in your cups" seemed to get passed around, rather than "in your cups", which I think was meant to be vaguely ironic.

I'm annoyed because I can't think of any particularly good examples right now, based on that whole thing where if you ask a fish what it's like to be at the bottom of the ocean, they're likely not to mention the fact that it's pretty wet: seems obvious and not worth mentioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My favorite french saying is something my Quebecois 3rd grade teacher would say all the time: "aller péter dans les fleurs" or "go fart in the flowers" in English. It basically means gently caress off.

• Locked thread