Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Noslo posted:

These first two are general English sayings:

"Like a bat out of hell" for suddenly getting up and running away quickly

"Don't let the door hit your rear end" means gently caress you as the other person is leaving.

"Close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades" for when you almost do something but fall short. (Do people play horseshoes outside America?)

Someone already said "Bless their heart" which is my absolute southern favorite. The context is everything. Used sincerely its interchangable with "Thank You". Otherwise its used in a sense of "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all". Its like a polite/indirect way to say someone is dumb.

"Satan in a sunday hat". Old southern ladies are known for their large, colorful hats worn to church. So this means something that appears beautiful, but is bad underneath.

"Sweatin' like a whore in church" for one of those hot and humid summer days.

"Preaching to the choir" when someone is needlessly ranting to others that already know or agree.

That person is a "snake in the grass" refers to someone who will lies or cheats you

That person "has a hair up their rear end" for when someone is complaining or overly annoyed

"Happier than a pig in poo poo" is pretty self explanatory

As a kid, you knew your parents were serious when they said "I'll give you something to cry about". Similarly, its southern tradition to tell the kids to "go pick their switch" which means go find the stick I'm going to spank you with.

The build up to that is typically telling the kids to "go play in traffic" when the parents are losing patience. Or "go kick rocks" as in go do this useless activity far away from me.

"Nuttier than a fruitcake/than squirrel poo poo" for a crazy person.

There's a few more southern sayings that come to mind but they're pretty racist (go figure) so I'll pass on posting them

So youre saying that True Blood is entirely accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
"Bet": okay/I'm down
"Alright, bet": you're pissing me off and I'm about to whoop your rear end
"Deadass", like someone mentioned earlier
"Hurl": I haven't heard anyone say this since high school, but it was always yelled when someone got insulted
"Bama": stupid, uncool, a reference to how poo poo Alabama is
"Doot": dude
"Come at me with the same energy": you're talking a lot of poo poo and you better be down to fight because of it

Black Louisiana has coopted a ton of phrases, apparently. All of the Louisianaisms you see in articles are never said by anyone, with the exception that old people call all refrigerators Frigidaires.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Is "can I settle with you" not common parlance in some places? I was in an airport bar this afternoon and I told the woman I wanted to settle, and she nodded happily and poured me another pint.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
I love these kinds of threads because there's so many ridiculous expressions for various things but it's hard to say how many actually get used.

I'm going to focus on some of the shorter words and phrases I've heard a bunch over the years as a native Californian, and I don't really know how much of this stuff is widespread due to media. I'm also old so many of these are dated even though I use most of them from time to time.

Bounce - to leave "Let's bounce / wanna bounce?"

Peace / peace out - See you later. "Peace." "Peace out (dawg / dude)."

Hella - Everyone knows this one. Modifier that means totally, very, extremely. "That place was hella good.", "Want to go out tonight? "Hella." (Rarer but still used)

Tight, bomb, bomb-rear end, dope, sick, legit, dank - very good. A lot are definitely 90s holdovers. "That was a bomb-rear end party" "That poo poo was hella legit"

I'm down / down with that - sounds good. "I'm down with watching a movie tonight"

A minute - a while (or some indeterminate amount of time). "I haven't been there in a minute"

Trip - to stress. "You're trippin'" "Don't even trip" (Don't worry about it)

Yee - exclamation for yea! or alright! It sounds really dumb but is somehow very fun to say. Just say it any time, no need to wait to respond to someone. "Yee yee"

We don't talk like this all the time I promise.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
One of the things I like about Bristol is how the more rural you get, the more intimate the British affectation for calling people 'love' gets. In the city it's "cheers love", in the suburbs it's "my love" and once you're in the countryside complete strangers will call you "my lover".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

cash crab posted:

Is "can I settle with you" not common parlance in some places? I was in an airport bar this afternoon and I told the woman I wanted to settle, and she nodded happily and poured me another pint.

This is the first I've heard it. If you said "settle the bill" I could work out what you meant, assuming that's actually what you meant by it and weren't actually asking for another pint.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cash crab posted:

"I'm ready to settle" is commonplace here.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Okay, I just remembered one. "Tallboys" carries a specific referential weight here for beer, and out East tallboys makes sense, but shortboys does not, whereas in Alberta it does. As does 2-6, mickeys, flats, and two-fours, all of which refer to different units of alcohol. There isn't much to do out West.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

Okay, I just remembered one. "Tallboys" carries a specific referential weight here for beer, and out East tallboys makes sense, but shortboys does not, whereas in Alberta it does. As does 2-6, mickeys, flats, and two-fours, all of which refer to different units of alcohol. There isn't much to do out West.
Australian beer glasses are called all sorts of different things, often depending on which state or territory you're in.

There's a table on Wikipedia but in my experience it's not super accurate. For example, it lists "schooner" as old-fashioned or rare in Melbourne, but it's actually pretty common, and lists "glass" as common, but I've never actually encountered that one at all.

My favourite thing about those names though is how South Australia just uses the terms "schooner" and "pint" wrong. Everyone else agrees on what a schooner and a pint are, but in SA they're inexplicably smaller.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

cash crab posted:

"Mickey" is Canadian for a 13 ouncer or a 375ml bottle. I once earned the nickname "Mickey" because David Carradine bought 8 of them and insisted I keep them all in my coat.

Edit: I mean Ontario Canadian, I can't speak for Alberta Canadian.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

"Mickey" is Canadian for a 13 ouncer or a 375ml bottle. I once earned the nickname "Mickey" because David Carradine bought 8 of them and insisted I keep them all in my coat.

Edit: I mean Ontario Canadian, I can't speak for Alberta Canadian.

Nope, it's the same. Though for whatever loving reason, half of you guys say "pint" wrong. "Can I get a peent of Molson" (IT'S JUST CALLED CANADIAN) is a common question I get at work, along with "may I have a glass of beer" (WHAT SIZE IDIOT).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A Tamil saying that my dad used to use was "A barber with nothing to do will shave the cat."

It means "Idle hands are the Devils Playground"

And seconding the outrage at South Australias stupid use of pint and schooner.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

cash crab posted:

Tallboys here specifically means the 16oz cans, compared to the 12oz regular. Anything more is called by the specific weight like 24 or a 40.

Ordering a draft is just regular or a large/double for the big glasses.

I like shortboys though, gonna have to use that next time I ask a buddy to pick some up

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Noslo posted:

What's... a regular? They all come in the same size glass. Right? :ohdear:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Here's a Swedish one I heard growing up in the 90's, but I can't recall the context in which it was used. Translating it about as good as I can.

Det är inte kuken som gör susen, utan såsen i påsen - It's not the dick what does the trick, it's the sauce in the balls.

I think I heard it from my dad when the gas in the car had gone bad or something.

And a Finnish one I can't remember the exact form of.

Mies ei usko ettei kaivosta pääse ennen kun on ite jäänyt jumiin. - A man does not believe he can't get out of a well before he's been stuck in one. This one can apply to a lot of things but you goons should know all about wells.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Noslo posted:

Tallboys here specifically means the 16oz cans, compared to the 12oz regular. Anything more is called by the specific weight like 24 or a 40.

I like shortboys though, gonna have to use that next time I ask a buddy to pick some up

Where I'm from, it's polite to call them "littlepeople".

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Here in upstate New York and we call hamburgers "steamed hams".

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Some stuff we say in Québec :quebec: :

Tire-toi une bûche - Pull up a log. Pull up a seat.

Habillé comme la chienne ā Jacques - Dressed like Jack's bitch (as in his female dog). Means someone is dressed really poorly.

Lâche pas la patate - Don't drop the potato. Don't give up.

Se poigner le beigne - Grabbing your donut. To waste time, to relax doing nothing instead of working.

Avoir de la broue dans le toupet - Having beer foam in your hair. Not sure how to translate this, but it can mean a couple things : someone is overwhelmed with lots of work to do, or someone is angry.

Cogner des clous - Hammering nails. Nodding.

Péter de la broue/Péter plus haut que le trou - Farting beer foam/Farting higher than the hole. Means someone is a snob/bragging too much.

SpacePope has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Dec 19, 2017

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

SpacePope posted:

Some stuff we say in Québec :quebec: :

Tire-toi une bûche - Pull up a log. Pull up a seat.

The UK has 'take a pew' for this.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Interesting to hear others' takes on "bless your/their heart". I guess if it's said TO someone, it means, "oh, that's sweet of you", but said ABOUT someone, it's more "oh, that dumb schmuck"? I'm from NY, but over the years I kinda figured it to mean sort of a pitying "guy means well, but what a dumbass"

We have a menu item at the restaurant I work at called the Bless Your Heart (bacon, fried green tomatoes, and spicy mayo on a biscuit). I wonder what the implication is.

Some of my favorite sayings:

pushing diarrhea uphill with a rake : a useless or impossible task
it's hotter than a sack of dog nuts : it's really hot and sticky weather
not my monkey, not my circus : typically used when asked to do something stupid by your boss, or gossiping about some decision management has made, eg "Did you hear about that policy change? That's gonna gently caress us up good. [shrug] Eh, not my monkey, not my circus."

Working as a cook, I use a lot of restaurant language even when not in the kitchen, though that's mostly slang/jargon, not sayings. I can post some if anyone's interested.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
That (car, person, whatever) was moving like a raped ape.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Up at sparrow's fart - to get out of bed early

I could eat the arse out of a low flying bird - I'm really hungry

Taking the piss - making fun of someone

Camp as a row of tents - homosexual

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A couple of eating/drinking ones.

A man's not a a camel. = I am thirsty/I need a beer. Insomuch as a camel can go without drinking for a long long time, but as I am a man, I need to drink now.

My stomach thinks my throats been slit = I am hungry/thirsty. Usually thirsty. Self explanatory, due to the lack of things entering my stomach, it believes that my throat has been slit, thus everything I eat and drink do not get to it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Here in upstate New York and we call hamburgers "steamed hams".

I'm from Utica and I've never heard that term.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it was a snake, it would have bit you!

My mom used that one a lot when I was little, when she would send me to look for something that was in plain view I couldn't find.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

EoinCannon posted:

Up at sparrow's fart - to get out of bed early

I could eat the arse out of a low flying bird - I'm really hungry

Taking the piss - making fun of someone

Camp as a row of tents - homosexual

I could eat a farmer's arse through a ditch - I am also really hungry.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Whybird posted:

One of the things I like about Bristol is how the more rural you get, the more intimate the British affectation for calling people 'love' gets. In the city it's "cheers love", in the suburbs it's "my love" and once you're in the countryside complete strangers will call you "my lover".

My self esteem has gone through the roof since moving to Sheffield - it feels like barristas are always flirting with me, its great.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Interesting to hear others' takes on "bless your/their heart". I guess if it's said TO someone, it means, "oh, that's sweet of you", but said ABOUT someone, it's more "oh, that dumb schmuck"? I'm from NY, but over the years I kinda figured it to mean sort of a pitying "guy means well, but what a dumbass"

"Bless your heart" is SUPER context specific, and can mean a range of things. Sometimes it's subtle enough that you need to know both the person saying it and the target AND the relationship between the two to get just the right shade of meaning. It's definitely not always an insult. Usually, but not always.

A few others I thought of. All mean basically that someone isn't the smartest:

"got the IQ of a basket of hair"
"got the IQ of an eggplant"
"dumber than a bag of hammers"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Few cards short of a deck

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

A few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lights are on but nobody's home

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ekki alveg með fulle fem

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

cash crab posted:

What's... a regular? They all come in the same size glass. Right? :ohdear:

I think in most places that's a 14oz pour, at least it was everywhere I've worked

there's a bar here that does schooners, they're like 1.5x a pint or so

the Eagle's Lodge is the only place I can think of that serves my favorite name for a beer size, the 32oz Gusto- shame that all they have on tap are Coors-Miller products (also unusual around here; even the diviest dives have a tap they'll rotate usually local craft brews through)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Working as a cook, I use a lot of restaurant language even when not in the kitchen, though that's mostly slang/jargon, not sayings. I can post some if anyone's interested.

:justpost:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Shouting "BEHIND" when I'm behind someone is a restaurant thing that is good in restaurants, not so good in Walmart.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Lights are on but nobody's home

A few 'roos loose in the top paddock

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

cash crab posted:

Shouting "BEHIND" when I'm behind someone is a restaurant thing that is good in restaurants, not so good in Walmart.

Heard. Every day I get off work and pop into the 7-11 that's on my walk home to get beer and smokes. If someone's else is browsing the beer cooler I want to get to, I'll blurt out "BESIDE YOU" without thinking as I sidle up next to them because I've been doing it for 8 hours.

So a few simple ones:

As used above, heard means "yeah, got it". It's the official way of acknowledging that you've heard an order coming back, and you're on it. Someone yells "drop hashbrowns!", I yell back "heard hashbrowns!" But we also use it casual conversation as a form of "yeah" or "I agree" just from saying it so much. Eg,:
"Man, I'm not looking forward to hanging out with my in-laws on Xmas."
"Sheesh, heard."
One guy I work with uses echo, but that's a new one on me. I'm sure kitchens, like regions, vary in dialect.

As cash crab illustrated, we also yell where we are in relation to other people all the time, because kitchens are hectic, crowded, noisy, dangerous places, and you do not want to spook someone or be spooked. Behind, coming down, coming around, beneath you, above you, right beside... you get the idea. Modifiers are added, like, hot behind, meaning I've got a boiling pot in my hands and please don't back up or this could end up like that Canadian PSA. Sharp behind/coming round/etc means you have a knife in your hands.

Drop means "get something started" and/or "bring me this". An order comes in for catfish, my line guy yells "drop fish!" and I reply "heard fish!" Off the clock, I call my husband and ask him to drop milk on his way home.

Walking back means "heads up, this poo poo is coming your way". A kind server will stick their head into the kitchen and tell us "we just got a delivery order of 30 biscuits walking back", and even though the ticket hasn't come back, we have a heads up to stick 3 more trays of biscuits in the oven. Off the clock, I look at my bank balance to see just how much money I'll need to get through this Xmas, and gently caress, I've got Cox and car insurance bills walking back.

Working means "I'm already on it". Line guy yells "drop fish!" and because I already peeked over his shoulder and saw 3 fish orders coming in, them fish are in the fryer already. "Working, 45 seconds out!" (And then everyone stood up and applauded.) Off the clock, my cat is meowing for food as I'm grabbing the bag, and I grumble "working" as I reexamine my life choices.

Okay, some funnier ones:

cremated : well-done meat of any kind
drag thru the garden : add lettuce, tomato, onion
snot scrambled : some people apparently like scrambled eggs that are slightly underdone :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst part about starting a new restaraunt job is finding out who in the back of the house is slingin' the good drugs.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

As cash crab illustrated, we also yell where we are in relation to other people all the time, because kitchens are hectic, crowded, noisy, dangerous places, and you do not want to spook someone or be spooked. Behind, coming down, coming around, beneath you, above you, right beside... you get the idea. Modifiers are added, like, hot behind, meaning I've got a boiling pot in my hands and please don't back up or this could end up like that Canadian PSA. Sharp behind/coming round/etc means you have a knife in your hands.

Last place I worked no one gave a gently caress about knife-related positional cries, so I would just shout "KNIFE, KNIFE" before I got to a counter. Seemed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Randaconda posted:

The best part about starting a new restaraunt job is finding out who in the back of the house is slingin' the good drugs.
surely you're mistaken, ftfy my friend

A few more:

all day is how many, total, you need of something. Eg,
line, reading ticket as it prints: "DROP... brisket! drop ham! drop another brisket! drop tofu! ... drop one more brisket!"
grill: that's 3 brisket, all day?
line: ham, tofu, 3 brisket all day
grill: heard!

in the weeds
: used by both front of house (servers/hosts) and back of house (us kitchen bitches), means you're struggling behind in your service. "Can someone help me out? That last loving order totally put me in the weeds."

battlestations
: we have a rush coming in the door, make sure you have everything ready to go

new biz
: call-out during insane weekend rushes that specifically pricks our ears to listen up. You kinda hear "drop" so much you start to tune it out, so our best line woman screams "NEW BEEEEZ, GUYZ!" before each new ticket to make sure we're on point

cash crab posted:

Last place I worked no one gave a gently caress about knife-related positional cries, so I would just shout "KNIFE, KNIFE" before I got to a counter. Seemed to work.

Ha! When I worked for an Army DFAC last year, they had a policy of everyone HAD to chant "knife. knife.knife. knife. knife" whenever walking around the kitchen with one, even if they weren't anywhere near another person. Policy was so stupid; at some point anyone who worked there long enough had just numbed themselves to hearing it, it became trivial. So it was the equivalent of hearing a car alarm on Long Island in 1990's: just some faint background nuisance done for insurance purposes.

poo poo, sorry for the derail. It's rare I get to engage with someone about "knife-related positional cries", and drat, if that wasn't so long, that's be a mighty fine user name

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Dec 22, 2017

• Locked thread