Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Barking/Barking mad: Crazy, wrong-headed, or insane.

Dagenham: Totally loving mental, completely insane, divorced from reality. Follows naturally, what with Dagenham being three stops past Barking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EoinCannon posted:

Camp as a row of tents - homosexual

This ones really good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bacchus, or sometimes Bacchus Marsh = A semi, a half erection. This is because Bacchus Marsh is half way to Ballarat.

Strangely I have never heard anyone use Ballarat as an expression for a fully erect penis, and having been there, I can fully understand why.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I work at a seafood/meat counter and some spots dont have a lot of space between the cutting boards and the scales, so if I gotta scooch behind somebody I just say "knife behind"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
One my dad uses that I think he picked up from his dad is "if brains were gunpowder he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose" which seems savage af IMO.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

"Sucking rooster"

Only ever heard it when my dad and uncle are shooting the poo poo in Spanish. The context suggests it means "not doing anything" and they swear it's got nothing to do with fellatio. But it's always said in English amidst the usual Spanish b.s.ing

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Cane cutters cordial - Rum.
Chucking a wobbly - getting angry.
Cunts built like a brick shithouse - somebody very tough and strong.
Cobber (pronounced like cobb-ah) - old and not widely used but interchangeable word for mate/person.
Durry/fag - cigarette.
Oi oval office! - hi mate!
Fang it! - go faster.
Boof head/ silly duffer - slightly silly person.
Doof doof music - rap and hip hop.

Tarantula has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Dec 22, 2017

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bacchus, or sometimes Bacchus Marsh = A semi, a half erection. This is because Bacchus Marsh is half way to Ballarat.

Strangely I have never heard anyone use Ballarat as an expression for a fully erect penis, and having been there, I can fully understand why.

Sort of reminds me of
"Getting off at Redfern" - withdrawing the penis during coitus, immediately prior to ejaculation
Redfern being the last train station before the city in Sydney

I'm from Ballarat and I've never heard the "Bacchus Marsh", it's pretty funny though so I will start using it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tarantula posted:

Cunts built like a brick shithouse - somebody very tough and strong.

I heard the clean variation of this - "Built like a brick supermarket", I think it's kind of funnier in a way

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

My dad says...

"Quit dickin the dog"
"Quit pounding the pup"

Which both meant, quit wasting time and hurry up. Loved the alliteration.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Morally Inept rereg spotted.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna stine your pitty on the runny kine

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Randaconda posted:

Gonna stine your pitty on the runny kine

Wada tah, tipi tai.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wada tah, tipi tai.

You come not one, but many tine tanies!

Pootie Tang owns.

Cwmagain
Jul 30, 2011

Caffeine only diet leads to paranoia and... the shakes!
From Bruges, Belgium. With forced Dutch in schools our colourful Brugian dialect/language is slowly going the way of the dodo, but if you spend some time with grandpa you'll be bound to hear some of these.

Iemand zen vet geven - to give somebody his fat - shouting at someone ( angrily ).
stolen from the french donner a quelqu'un son fait

De breee veertiene - The wide fourteen - Great wealth
From old seacharts, there was a 14 km wide area known for good fishing.

Een puut in de kele - a frog in the throat - a hoarse voice.
Medieval remedy was to place a frog in the mouth as cure for throat infection.

Een muule va lintjes - A face of ribbons - Person who talks a lot.
A tongue cut in ribbons make many tongues.

Jis begraven en ommegekeerd - Hes burried and turned over - Meaning he's been dead for a while.
They used to plough the graves every 7 years.

Jis timmerman gewist - He has been a carpenter - Person who was cheated or conned in some way.
Allusion to Joseph finding out the maid Mary was pregnant.

Je zoet de worms ut je neuze ollen - He would pick he 'worms' out of your nose. - A very curious person.

Zis getrouwd over de bezemstok - Shes married over the broomstick - She lives together unmarried.

Me tied en stutten - With time and sandwiches - With some patience.

Jeed achter de beirkarre geloopen - He was running behind the manure cart - he has freckles.

Tga oender je gat sneeuwn - It wil snow under your rear end - You may expect a scolding.

De stoetste weezels zupn d'eiers - The naughtiest weasels drink the eggs. - He who dares, wins.

Je makt van e schete e dunderslag - He makes thunder out of a fart. - he exaggerates.

Jis tegen de zille komen piesen - He has come to pee against the doorstep. - he is hunting the daughter of the house.

't plafong van de mart schilderen - Painting the ceiling of market square - Useless labour.

There are of course, many many more.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Oofda! I think I have only heard that word said in the Midwest

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
We also call tallboys "pounders", since they're 16oz.

Like others, I am constantly telling people in public that I am behind or beside them.

Some kitchen terms (that I use) to add, "walking in" is new orders: "two bass walking in, that's five all day"

"Ribeye Mister" is a medium rare ribeye, because it appears as MR on the ticket.

If you are "dragging" something, you had a "late drop"; it took you longer to start cooking it than it should have, so the dish will take longer to sell than it normally does.

This one is specific to my restaurant, we have a hardcore allergy policy, and any time a guest wants a modifier, the server asks them if it's a preference or an allergy. The specific term obviously isn't ours, it's from super troopers, but as far as I know the specific usage is. An allergy "for a cop" is someone who is obviously lying about their allergy. For example, we have battered fries. So a ticket that says "Black and Bleu Burger, MR, gluten free bun ALLERGY, fries OK" means the guest asked for a blackened burger with Bleu cheese, bacon, and spinach on a gluten free bun, with fries on the side. When asked, the guest said the bun was because of an allergy, so the server told them that our fries are battered and contains gluten, and the guest said "oh, that's ok". It's called as "Gluten allergy Black and Bleu mister for a cop". It pretty much means "give them what they want but don't go out of your way to wash your hands and get fresh utensils and all the serious stuff we do for real allergies."

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Dec 31, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

A3th3r posted:

Oofda! I think I have only heard that word said in the Midwest

Uff da. It's Norwegian, though I think it's considered pretty old-fashioned in Norway now.

om nom nom posted:

This one is specific to my restaurant, we have a hardcore allergy policy, and any time a guest wants a modifier, the server asks them if it's a preference or an allergy.

I super hate this question, because mine is neither. I'm lucky in that I'm not going to get sick from wheat/barley/rye residue on a knife, but I would never intentionally eat any of those things in more than trace quantities. I usually say, "It's a sensitivity, so don't worry about cross-contamination, but I can't eat any wheat, barley, or rye ingredients."

Yeah, it's a "preference" not to get sick or increase my risk of intestinal cancer.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Dec 31, 2017

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A few from my dad:

"Like a striped rear end ape" whenever something is working to perfection, as in "how's the car running?". Striped is pronounced with two syllables instead of one (STRI-PED), and he apparently got this saying from some bikers from the east coast in the early 70s.

"Tango uniform." Phonetic military way of politely/publically saying "tits up" whenever something died or broke down. "Tits up" is just the average saying he says everywhere else.

"Dumber than a box full of cow horns." This is one he made up, and I use it all the time.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Has anyone made a steamed hams joke yet?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

I super hate this question, because mine is neither. I'm lucky in that I'm not going to get sick from wheat/barley/rye residue on a knife, but I would never intentionally eat any of those things in more than trace quantities. I usually say, "It's a sensitivity, so don't worry about cross-contamination, but I can't eat any wheat, barley, or rye ingredients."

Yeah, it's a "preference" not to get sick or increase my risk of intestinal cancer.

Surely most people in the restaurant biz are familiar with Coeliac disease? If not, just call it as an allergy. I really doubt anyone would come back with 'well TECHNICALLY it's not a true allergy because... [long biochemical explanation]'.

Some British ones:

"Bob's your uncle (, Fanny's your aunt)" - basically 'there you go', indicating an outcome being reached.

"It's a bit black over Bill's mother's" - Looks like bad weather on the way

"Couldn't stop a pig in a passage" - Either generally incompetent or sometimes bow-legged, meaning if they tried stopping a pig it would just run between their legs.

"Sent to Coventry" - Given a frosty reception, treated badly or just ignored.

"Cack-handed" - Left handed, or just generally clumsy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I guess it is better for me to make them do unnecessary-for-me cross-contamination prevention than for them to think I'm an idiot. I just hate to make already overworked people do stuff they don't need to.

Is "Around John's barn" meaning "a needlessly circuitous route" a common saying in Canada or the U.K.? Or just something my grandmother and great-aunts made up?

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

Uff da. It's Norwegian, though I think it's considered pretty old-fashioned in Norway now.

Yea at that point the gust usually just says "it's celiac" then the server will put "GF Bun Celiac" or whatever on the ticket and we will take it very seriously and not cross contaminate. I'm not busting anyone's balls who has a serious sensitivity or allergy, or getting into the semantics of allergy vs sensitivity. Either way i/we know it's a very real and very serious thing. It's the people who are on a gluten (or whatever) free fad diet because it's the trendy thing, say it's an allergy, then straight up order something covered in flour and say it's ok.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

jabby posted:

"Bob's your uncle (, Fanny's your aunt)" - basically 'there you go', indicating an outcome being reached.

"Bob's your uncle" seems to be fairly common in the Philly area (where my parents are from) too, although my family specifically used "Robert's your father's brother" since I did, in fact, have an Uncle Bob.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

om nom nom posted:

Yea at that point the gust usually just says "it's celiac" then the server will put "GF Bun Celiac" or whatever on the ticket and we will take it very seriously and not cross contaminate. I'm not busting anyone's balls who has a serious sensitivity or allergy, or getting into the semantics of allergy vs sensitivity. Either way i/we know it's a very real and very serious thing. It's the people who are on a gluten (or whatever) free fad diet because it's the trendy thing, say it's an allergy, then straight up order something covered in flour and say it's ok.

I don't know if this is common, but I straight-up ask customers if it's a preference or an allergy. Most claim preference, and I punch it in that way, and for the rare person that says allergy, I grill them (ha-ha) about the nature of said allergy because there could be something I'm missing. I know this isn't common in most places, but if I input "allergy" and there's a conflict, the cooks usually won't make it until you go ask the customer.

Content-wise, I was just visiting my parents, who live in a small town out West, and I forgot about that small-town Canadian accent/way of speaking. Me, my brother and his friend were driving to a bar and we see this guy wiping off his windshield with his arms (there's like, two feet of snow) and my brother's friend goes, "Fuckin' really two-handin' it there eh, bud," and I loving lost it laughing.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Here's some from Afrikaans and South African English.
Nou't ek fokkol in die een hand en kak in die ander. [Now I've got gently caress-all in one hand and poo poo in the other.] - Being forced into a decision with no good outcome.
Kyk noord en fok voort. [Look north and gently caress on.] - Context sensitive. Either asking someone to go away, or just taking things day by day with no big plan.
Kak of betaal. [poo poo or pay.] - You'll pay or you'll be in trouble.
Jou gat jik. [You've got an itchy rear end.] - Used when someone's in the mood to do something and everyone else just wants to chill.
Verdwaal in die wingerd. [Get lost in the vinyards.] - To get drunk
Loop twee stelle spore. [Walk with two sets of footprints.] - To be drunk
Dronkverdriet. [Drunk grief.] - Being overcome with intense sadness while drunk.
Slaan tent op. [Put up a tent.] - Get an erection.
Hy/Sy kak my uit. [He/She's making GBS threads me out.] - He/she is scolding me.
Hulle's kommin. [They're common.] - They're uncultured.
Kry vir jou 'n Noddy Badge. [Go and get yourself a Noddy Badge.] - Used (also in SA English) when a person brags about an insignificant achievement.
Voor op die wa. [Sitting in front of the wagon.] - Overestimating one's importance or not knowing your place.
Weet jou ma jy's hier? [Does your mother know you're here?] - You shouldn't be doing this job/shouldn't be here.
Ja nee. [Yes, no.] - Context sensitive. Usually means something along the lines of "I agree with you. That is the way things are and it is regrettable." It can also mean "You know it."

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Eat a horse and chase the jockey - Really loving hungry.

Cactus - No longer functioning.

Take a long walk off a short pier - gently caress off.

Smoko (smoke-o) - Short break, typically used for a 10 or 15 minute break at work.

Bottle-o - Liquor store.

Duck's Guts - Really good. Interchangeable with Dog's Bollocks.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

cash crab posted:

Content-wise, I was just visiting my parents, who live in a small town out West, and I forgot about that small-town Canadian accent/way of speaking. Me, my brother and his friend were driving to a bar and we see this guy wiping off his windshield with his arms (there's like, two feet of snow) and my brother's friend goes, "Fuckin' really two-handin' it there eh, bud," and I loving lost it laughing.

I love stuff like that

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

Not really old-fashioned, but I think it's used in different contexts than in the Midwest. In Norway it's nearly always an expression of sympathy or sometimes despair, like if a little kid falls and scrubs their knee or a friend gets a parking ticket.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
A couple more from Norway:

- "Å velge mellom pest og kolera" (to choose between the plague and cholera): a choice between two undesirable options.
- "God-dag-mann-økseskaft" (Good-day-fellow-axe handle): a non-sequitur or otherwise nonsensical response to a question. From an old folk tale where a deaf man is greeted by another. Having no idea what he is actually saying, the deaf man imagines that the other is asking what he is whittling.

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
Some swedish ones. Some or all of them probably exist in other languages as well but I think I've only encountered them in swedish contexts.

-"Nu har du skitit i det blå skåpet." : Now you have taken a poo poo in the blue cupboard. It is used when somebody has messed up badly. It is believed by historians to originate from the time when blue pigment was one of the most expensive pigments to aquire. Since blue furniture was usually the most valued and expensive blue cupboards were used to store valuable items like white linen, white china and glass, things you generally do not want people to poo poo on.
-"Har man satt fan i båten får man ro honom i land": If you have put (allowed) the devil in your boat you need to row him ashore. To finish what one has started or strive to complete an unpleasant task quickly.
-"Har man satt yxan i båten får man ro som fan": If you have put your axe through your boat you need to row like hell(like the devil). Similar to the one above.
-" Ingen blir en bra läkare innan han/hon har fyllt en kyrkogård.": Nobody becomes a good doctor before filling up a cemetary. Practice makes perfect and it is normal to fail now and then.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Balder posted:

-" Ingen blir en bra läkare innan han/hon har fyllt en kyrkogård.": Nobody becomes a good doctor before filling up a cemetary. Practice makes perfect and it is normal to fail now and then.

:stonklol:

Balder
Apr 3, 2011

Yeah it's a bit stark. Health care in Sweden is actually pretty good I swear!

ANYBODY LIKE CUBE
Jan 27, 2010

use math to survive
My SO from Northern New Brunswick has his share of regional sayings:

"Clammer" - Spit
"Tramp it" - Push on the gas
"Go for a grit" - Smoke a cigarette
"Double gently caress" - Self explanatory

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
It never rained and didn't stop. (Every bad thing ends someday)

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Northern MN -

Whitewashing: to grab someone when they least expect it, drag them outside and throw them in a snow bank.

Banung: Ojibwe for a crooked dick. Also, means "doesn't work". It does not mean a limp dick. It's specifically a crooked one.

Ho wah! : Just say it all the time for any reason. As in "Ho Wah! That's a fat dog!"

Booj or Boojing: Ojibwe for having sex. (sp?)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Balder posted:

Iceland has a similar saying "Enginn verður óbarinn biskup" or "No one becomes a bishop without being beaten.". Meaning that if you want to get far in life you will need to work hard and face much hardship.

It is possible this has some roots in the saga of Guðmundur "The Good" Arason, who was bishop during the civil war of the 13th century and considered a saint by many though his sainthood was never recognized by the Papacy. According to the saga Guðmundur was born a bastard and his father died when he was young so he was raised by his very strict and zealous uncle who would beat him mercilessly if he didn't focus on his studies.

It is also possible that the Icelandic bishops used to have some really brutal street gang style imitation rituals.

Danish has a similar saying "tugt og lære giver brød og ære" or "Beatings and learning bring you bread and honour".

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Here in northeast Ohio, we call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road the "treelawn" . Blew my mind when I found out many parts of the country don't have a name for it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

EmmyOk posted:

imo most of these are literally never said and just show up in buzzfeed articles or coffee table books people are gifted at christmas.

I disagree. I know many people that use colorful phrases that leave you laughing. I do so myself when possible. I also tend to swear in other languages when I'm really fired up.

To contribute:

"The devil is beating his wife": Raining when the sky is sunny.

"This looks like (x) monkeys loving in a bag.": Meaning a total poo poo show, solve for x.

"A total poo poo show": Everything's gone south, but it's solvable in the end.

"Gone south": Process has failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Domus posted:

Here in northeast Ohio, we call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road the "treelawn" . Blew my mind when I found out many parts of the country don't have a name for it.

Treelawn? I heard "devil strip", or is that more of an Akron expression?

• Locked thread